Flying w/ my Champion 600 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 23rd, 2007, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Flying w/ my Champion 600

Hello all, I just bought a Fender Champ 600 today and am digging it quite a bit. Some guys I play with at home would like to do some recording over winter break and I think this amp would be perfect for that, but the only thing is I am flying home and back. My plan right now is to pack it inside a hard sided suitcase and surround it with thick sweaters and the like. Is this a bad idea or are there further precautions I should take (like removing the tubes)?

My dad used to work for the airlines and basically said "pack it how you like, and then jump up and down on the suitcase to test it because that's basically what is going to happen to it." I have other amps at home, but they are all massive (a bunch of Kustom 2x15 cabs and heads form the late 60's) and we are driving out of state to where we are recording so having a more compact setup is ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks!

voided3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Check with the airline about carrying it on. The amp is small enough to fit in the overhead or under the seat.
guitar1amp2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Check with the airline about carrying it on. The amp is small enough to fit in the overhead or under the seat.
Very true, but I already will be having another carry on with my laptop and such in it and I believe Midwest only allows one carry on for intercontinental flights. I'll check on that though since it definitely would fit.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Alright, Midwest allows only one carry on but has "briefcases" and "fragile items or items of extraordinary value" listed as additional exceptions so I THINK I would be ok carrying it since it is tiny (smaller than their briefcase dimensions, but thicker). They also said certain musical instruments can be carried on, but this would be classified as an electronic device to them. Not to mention it fits in my massive backpack designed for 17" laptops so if I pack light I could even put it on my back (don't you love small amps?)! Just in case the worst happens (and for future reference), how should I go about packing it in a hard suitcase? Thanks again!

Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

A 600!? in a suitcase!!?? on a plane!!!??? I dont want to read anymore.

I'd take it to a UPS mail drop place and have it packed like Nitro glycerin and sent 2 day to my door step, heavily insured. The thought of the grill pushed through the speaker makes my *ss pucker.
Telelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
A 600!? in a suitcase!!?? on a plane!!!??? I dont want to read anymore.
hahaha no this is the new reissue not a vintage original! If I had one of those i'd keep it in a fire-proof safe when not in use. I have determined that it will in fact fit in my carry-on backpack, but any suggestions on packing it in a hard suitcase?

Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Thank God. OK then...Thanks for the clarification. Now my sphincter can relax.
You can wear that one around your neck with a shoelace. Kinda like 5 watts of bling.

Really. Stuff your socks and whatever else inside it. Tight around the tubes.
dress it in sweater or a couple shirts and maybe get some thick cardboard to attach to the front and backsides. Then plenty of clothes under, on top and around it.
Then.... Keep your eyes, fingers and toes crossed that it doesnt get "lost"
Telelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Like the above post ship it if you like.

Last edited by blues; November 23rd, 2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: *
blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Thank God. OK then...Thanks for the clarification. Now my sphincter can relax.
You can wear that one around your neck with a shoelace. Kinda like 5 watts of bling.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's friggin hilarious!! Maybe I can say I'm the guitar-playing disciple of Flava-Flav.... But yeah, I think i'm just going to stuff it in my backpack or say it's a flashy new briefcase. That and I figured it would be kind of ridiculous to order an Anvil ATA case for an amp that's smaller than a soprano ukulele (though with some 1/2" plywood, aluminum angle iron, link locks, and some heavy duty corners I could make one and top it off with some truck bed liner... hmm... or use that money to buy another champ... or food).

So, for those who looked at this thread for advice, this is what I can summarize as the options for taking a small amp on a plane:

1) Check out carry-on policies for your airline for exceptions if you need more than one carry-on or put it in your backpack if it fits.

2) Ship it to your destination.

3) Get an industrial strength suitcase and line it with anything shock absorbing in order to put it in with checked luggage.

4) ATA case... maybe if it's a Princeton or bigger and worth more than the case itself.

5) Buy a Kustom Dart, Vox DA5, Fender Sidekick, or something small and inexpensive wherever you land (not really a solution but who doesn't like getting new stuff?).