Duane Allman tone - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 4th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Duane Allman tone

Does anyone have any recomendations for a small combo amp that gets a good Duane Allman tone (think Fillmore). I've got a Plexi 100w reissue which does the job when I want to play for everyone in the state, but would like something that comes close at a little less volume. I've got a DRRI, a Crate V8, and an Epi Valve Jr. none of which quite get the "vibe" I'm looking for (although they are all great in some way or another). Any recomendations for pedals that could get my amps in the ballpark?

Thanks

hawkpicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Although most of the Duane thing came from the man himself, I think that another key ingredient to his sonics that I learned about recently was the open back cab.

I imagine he would have sounded equally awesome thru an old Tweed Bassman, a Marshall, or even a BF/SF Super Reverb.

Probably an open back cab with 2 speakers would be sufficient. They could be 10s or 12s. JMO.

That Fillmore East stuff has got to be some of the best rock guitar tones I've ever heard.

Old September 4th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Part of Duane's tone was he used a 50 watt head with 2 4-12 cabs. He could push the amp harder. Dicky used the 100. I used to use a 50 watt Marshall with a single 15 for my pedal steel in the 70's for a while, and man that amp could sing. Not what you would call typical steel tone, but boy would it cut.
rdchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Lots of things made up Duane's tone, but you still can't get away from the fact it was based on a Marshall Plexi with EL34's cranked up. I'd look at a PPIMV such as the Rich mod or a very high quality attenuator (UGH!!!) if you want to stay in that area. Changing output tubes will take you away from his tone.
fierce_carrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

http://www.hotguitarist.com/music_ar...ane_allman.htm
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Oh wait here is a better one

http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/mo...rticle&sid=607
tazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
R.I.P.
Poster Extraordinaire

He also used some kind of distortion gizmo with a weak battery didn't he?

I know that he used a BF Twin Reverb for his earlier session stuff.

Old September 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I always heard/read that Duane used Les Pauls through 50 watt Marshalls into Marshall cabs with JBLs - lately I've heard Cerwin-Vega speakers. I think it was straight into the amp for live stuff.

He did use a fuzz for a good bit of the studio stuff - listen to either DA Anthology. I've heard that the first ABB album was Fender Twins w/ JBLs. He did use a Strat in the studio - Wilson Pickett's "Hey Jude" is obviously Strat.

But to recommend to anyone - I'd use a non-Master volume 50 watt Marshall with a 4x12 cab with of course a Les Paul type guitar.

Old September 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkpicker View Post
Does anyone have any recomendations for a small combo amp that gets a good Duane Allman tone (think Fillmore). ... Any recomendations for pedals that could get my amps in the ballpark?
Well, I'll take a stab at actually answering hawkpicker's question. I've got an EH English MUFF'n, which uses tubes and just nails the Plexi tone through my Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI, which I'd also highly recommend.

Old September 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_carrot View Post
I'd look at a PPIMV such as the Rich mod or a very high quality attenuator (UGH!!!) if you want to stay in that area.
I guess I'm the polar opposite of this. I'll never forget the day I removed the RICH mod from my 1987X. Two thoughts immediately came to mind when I plugged into it: "Wow, I forgot how good this amp sounds!" and "Wow, I forgot how loud this amp is!" The RICH mod gives you a "frown" EQ response, IMO, where it's a lot of mids and no top or bottom to speak of. I use a Dr. Z Airbrake with that amp now, and I have no complaints against it at all; it lets my amp sound like my amp.

As far as pedals to get Duane's sound, I have no suggestions, as I have yet to find a distortion or OD box that makes me forget I'm not getting distortion from a pedal. I like my Ceriatone 18-watt clone for a good Duane-esque tone at a reasonable volume.

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
dB
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Gauge View Post
That Fillmore East stuff has got to be some of the best rock guitar tones I've ever heard.

Word.

dB
dB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkpicker View Post
Does anyone have any recomendations for a small combo amp that gets a good Duane Allman tone (think Fillmore). I've got a Plexi 100w reissue which does the job when I want to play for everyone in the state, but would like something that comes close at a little less volume. I've got a DRRI, a Crate V8, and an Epi Valve Jr. none of which quite get the "vibe" I'm looking for (although they are all great in some way or another). Any recomendations for pedals that could get my amps in the ballpark?

Thanks
Dimed 5E3
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

I dunno, Pete -- I've got the Lil Dawg with the 14-watt transformer & that thing, when dimed, gets into trouble-with-the-neighbors territory, maybe all the way into a cops-at-the-door situation. It sounds freaking awesome, true. But it's LOUD.

I might try feeding some kind of smallish master-volume amp -- a blues jr would do -- with a compressor. Dial up the preamp distortion where you like it, then use the compressor to simulate the natural compression of a driven tube amp. This probably won't get you all the way there but a little tweaking should get you in the ballpark.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Lots of good tips and advice. Thanks everyone.

I did kind of stumble across a gross approximation of his tone (which will suffice until more funds arrive!) using my Les Paul classic (w/Burstbucker pups) through my Epi Valve Jr. and tube screamer. Close but not quite there yet.
hawkpicker is offline   Reply With Quote