Your top choice for a Dumble style amp... - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Your top choice for a Dumble style amp...

...can't remember if this has been done here recently. Please excuse if it has. I'll take your "updated " choice anyway. Also please state your reason/s for your choice. Thank you.

Tom

jumpnblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fender Rod knob Twin, Super 112

Howdy,

I've heard others here on this forum liken Fender's red knob tube amps to Dumbles. Having never played a Dumble, I cannot comment on Dumbles.
I can say that my Super 112 has the best clean tone I've ever heard, with my "The Twin" coming in second.
One must deduce from all the "Red knob" sounds like Dumble amps that Dumbles must have a really sweet clean tone!

Eggman
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

My Twin with "clean boost" engaged on the Sparkle Drive is It.
Something tells me if someone was ballsy enough to take apart
"Howie's Goop Ball" they'd find the innards to be remarkably similar
to a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, of course this is just speculation
but I've found the "In-Step Tones" very simple to dial in.

In all honesty I'd rather have a Ceriatone "braintrek digress" Clone
than a Dumble.
The big clean is more easily obtainable with my Twin and the SD.
Easier on the budget too

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
KC
Friend of Leo's

never played a red-knob fender but I have played a Dumble -- Lowell George's old one, in fact. Nice-sounding amp but I didn't have much time to play around with it. I ended up using a '65 Deluxe (non-verb) on 10 or so with a Dynacomp dumping gain into the front end and it sounded awesome, and pretty much in the same vein as the Dumble. Little bit of compression, lots of boost for a strat slide sound.
KC is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Check out this...

The D'Lite from Brown Note Amps (http://www.brownnote.net/)--he was selling it as a kit but it was a one-time run--don't know if three are any left. I'm just finishing mine! They take 6V6s, 6L6s and EL34s and are getting incredible feedback from builders. Also a great forum on this model. Now I just have to get the switching done and figure out if this chassis is destined for a head or a combo.

Old July 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidP View Post
The D'Lite from Brown Note Amps (http://www.brownnote.net/)--he was selling it as a kit but it was a one-time run--don't know if three are any left. I'm just finishing mine! They take 6V6s, 6L6s and EL34s and are getting incredible feedback from builders. Also a great forum on this model. Now I just have to get the switching done and figure out if this chassis is destined for a head or a combo.
Any Schematics??
ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

fuchs has an amp called the overdrive supreme.
ab2012 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Personally I never heard a recording of a Dumble and thought "Good Lord, now that's an amazing amp". They always just sounded like...a nice tube amp. And for those prices I want all three of the ZZ Top Eliminator girls popping out of the road case and rubbing my shoulders between sets.

A few years back someone took apart a Dumble, including the brick of secret goop and concluded that it was a Twin Reverb with a Tube Screamer mounted inside.
tiktok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

A friend of mine has owned several Two Rock amps with cascading gain stages that were pretty impressive. They did an admirable job of delivering that "amp on the edge of exploding" sound. Pricey, but pretty darned cool. Just FWIW, and all IMO, as always. :-) CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i havent playing a dumble but i owned a evil twin red knob
robben ford plays dumbles and when he is on tour in europe he uses the red knob twins the evil twins channel switch and and have a real nice overdrive
i changed the speakers to ev's and the tubes to groove tubes
and that amp was hot and heavy tooo

but i can tell you one thing many people say the dumbles are just a fender but on stage they do something that really makes a difference and no fender comes close

many say that the two rocks have the dumble sound i dont think so and
they may be awesome amps but i always see them for sale
so i wonder

i heard larry carlton (a dumble player ) checked out the two rocks and didnt seem to excited i heard that only

the dumbles and the trainwrecks are highly rated and sought after
i played a komet and i thought they were real good i didnt get to learn the amp but was impressed i think with time and the right speaker cab
that amp could be a winner

for me the germinos are the bomb best i have played

my personal feeling only the is a guy that custom make a amp he calls
dunble they are exact dumble clones he makes them in 70's or 80's or 90's versions they look exact supposed sould exact he has a website
i havent seen it for a while try and check it out
marc sosnoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

For me it's not the thick distortion these amps deliver that's so impressive, it's the cleans and clean sustain that I like. Like Chris S. said, they sound like they're right on the ragged edge of self destructing. I don't want my tone buried in a lot of thick distortion. I want to maintain the natural tone of my guitar but make it sound big and I want the notes to sustain more than distort. A little, light, overdrive is OK as long as it doesn't bury my tone and make it sound generic. These amps can do that too if you're not careful because when you dial in the distortion they all start to sound alike.
But I've noticed on the sound samples and clips of several of these amps the cleans sound huge and very crystalline. Some of the amps I'm talking about include the Brown Tone amps (D'Lite 22, 18, and Voxy 18), Carol Ann, Two Rock, Fuchs, etc. I guess I shouldn't expect anything else since they're all based on the Twin Reverb. The Brown Tone amps in particular, coming in at about $2000., seem to be a tremendous value compared to some of the others (A Two Rock Kimock will run you a paltry $9000.!!!). Anyway, it's the cleans and light OD settings/tones that kind of piques my interest in these amps.

Tom

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There's an ampbuilder board here http://ampgarage.com/forum/index.php that has a lot of info, schematics, discussions, tweaks for Trainwreck and Dumble inspired amps and clones.
Wayne Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey Ramseybella...

if you go to the D'Lite forum at BrownNote Amps there's a stick with layouts and one of the threads has a schematic.

Old July 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wayne and Dave,

Thanks for the info. I can solder p.u.s and speakers but that's about the extent of my "tech abilities". So, building my own is almost out of the question, at least until I build something simple like a 5E3. And since I just purchased a new Louis Electric amp I'm a little tapped out now. I'm just doing some research for future reference. Thanks again.

Tom

Old July 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Shoot Man....

You gotta a Louis Electric?
Thas all you need.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnblues View Post
...can't remember if this has been done here recently. Please excuse if it has. I'll take your "updated " choice anyway. Also please state your reason/s for your choice. Thank you.

Tom

I've yet to hear a clip of the D'Lite that really sounds like a Dumble. As far as getting close without spending tones of dough, check out the Ceriatone Trainwreck kit, which they can build and ship to you. If you want something off the shelf, Two Rock get you in the range. I've heard some good ones.
psychotelepathic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Why do I find a good Fender BF sounds close to a Dumble. Frankly, I think I like them better
Pepi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

As someone mentioned above, the Fuchs was recommeneded to me by an actual Dumble owner. I got to play the Dumble, but he wouldn't allow me to touch any of the controls.

So, I contact Nik at Ceriatone Amp Kits. He said that Dumbles are complex and it takes some effort and know how to dial in the tones. He also said that he is just a few weeks of releasing a Dumble Clone kit.

During our back & forth communication, I asked him to compare the Trainwreck Clone to a real Trainwreck. I have heard good things about the real TW. But his was just a little shy of the real deal. He said that some of the amps have the magic, and some other don't. But they all sound excellent and at a fraction of the cost of a Dumble or a TW. He concluded that he much preferred the simplicity of the TW over the Dumble.

On Facebook
reverbbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverbbb View Post
As someone mentioned above, the Fuchs was recommeneded to me by an actual Dumble owner. I got to play the Dumble, but he wouldn't allow me to touch any of the controls.

So, I contact Nik at Ceriatone Amp Kits. He said that Dumbles are complex and it takes some effort and know how to dial in the tones. He also said that he is just a few weeks of releasing a Dumble Clone kit.

During our back & forth communication, I asked him to compare the Trainwreck Clone to a real Trainwreck. I have heard good things about the real TW. But his was just a little shy of the real deal. He said that some of the amps have the magic, and some other don't. But they all sound excellent and at a fraction of the cost of a Dumble or a TW. He concluded that he much preferred the simplicity of the TW over the Dumble.
Yeah but ... TW compared to a Dumble No comparison is there
Pepi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Yeah but ... TW compared to a Dumble No comparison is there
I 'think' I know what you mean. But please elaborate.

For sure, the TW is a more gainy amp - that's right up my alley in playing style.

On Facebook
reverbbb is offline   Reply With Quote