Winged =C= (SED) 6L6GC Review - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Advertise on the TDPRI Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 3rd, 2007, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Winged =C= (SED) 6L6GC Review

Well the brown truck dropped off my Winged =C= 6L6GC's today.

Dropped em in my G40V, and played em for about 2 hours (really ticked the missess off!).

Now, just to lay down the foundation for my review: My amp originally came with chinese 6L6's. They were blubbery, flabby, flatulent sounding junk. They didnt last too long.

I was about to go buy some tubes (I was looking at JJ's or EH), when my buddy gave me some NOS tubes (he only had a couple of hours of use on em): 2 Sylvania 6L6GC, 2 Sylvania 12AX7's, and a Phillips 12AT7 in V1. Wow! Totally awesome response, attack, and blossoming bell harmonics just exploding from my amp. No more flatulence, no more blubbering, and all flab was liposuctioned out of my amp! I was in tone nirvana!

That was about 2 1/2 years ago. The past couple months, I noticed my tone was getting a little ratty sounding, and instead of creamy, it was ragged. Time for new tubes. Yeah, I went too long with em, but the little woman really scares me, so I stretched em as long as I could. Heck, I was convinced that I needed NOS, and that is pricey there homer.

Pricey got even pricier over the last 2 years: I saw some RCA and Sylvania 6L6 tubes for about 120 for a matched pair. Now they're easily 295 to 395 bucks for a matched pair! Well, NOS aint gonna happen at those prices.

So I started looking around at the new production tubes out there, and I'm just about convinced to pull the trigger on some JJ 6l6's, when I stumble across some really good comments about the Winged =C= (SED) 6L6GC's. So I started asking around. I had heard previous reports from some here, like Johnny Crash, Cancer Leo, Tremo, and others here, that had good things to say about the Winged =C= (SED) 6L6's, so I started another thread and asked the questions on my mind, I got great responses, so I pulled the trigger and bought the Winged =C='s.

I blame all of you. Flat out.

I put those tubes in my amp, and I was utterly shocked and dismayed, that these new production tubes delivered all the goods: Sweet Bell Harmonics, full, lush and rich blossoming of the notes delivery, and creamy gain!

I will say it, and I will probably get flamed from some die-hard NOS junkies, these are flat out, the best power tubes I have ever used in my amp! I've had NOS in my amp, and these just stomp them into the ground! Of course, this is on my amp, and the results may be different on other amps, so my opinion is strictly subjective, and objectivity is limited to my comparison between the NOS and the Winged =C='s in my amp only. YMMV.

I'm just still in a state of shock, that these new production tubes have totally obliterated my pre-conceived notion, that there is no way any of the new production tubes can come that close to NOS, much less, blow there doors off. Well, it was my doors that were blown off! Now I'm thinking completely differently about tubes, but thats a good thing, because it gets me out of the limited box I had put myself into.

Now I'm going to try out the new Tung Sol 12AX7 pre-amp tubes........

Thank you all for your input, advice, and your observations on this subject. It has helped me immensely!

PraiseCaster: a recovering NOS Junky

Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

+1

They've been my favorite 6L6's for a while now.

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

They are worth every nickel you paid for them. Stellar performers.
"I'm a man who believes that right is right and wrong is wrong. Treat me right, and I will give you my all. Treat me wrong, and I will give you nothing. They don't like me for that, but that's the way I am." - Johnny Paycheck
CancerLeoCam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I use 'em in my Super clone. Great tubes.
petebradt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Even if they sounded only 70% as good as they do, I would still use them.

They are the only current production 6L6 that I've used that are durable and consistent.

They are also the only modern 6L6 that I've heard that sound great throughout the bias range (34 - 38 millivolts) in amps with plate voltage from 405 to about 430 volts.

If they cost twice as much as they currently do, they'd still be worth it.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

There so worth every nickel I paid for em, I feel like I stole em!
These are some stellar power tubes.

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

They are in a certain '60 Bassman that I'm aware of. Nuff said.
TexGoneNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I put a pair in my Hellhound a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the difference. The amp never sounded better to me
Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a quad in my TRRI. Made my amp sound way better now after re-tubing with them. I've compared it with a few other TRRIs and they don't come close. Great tubes all around and the best I've ever heard but I have limited experience with NOS 6L6s. I had some Sovtek 6L6s that didn't sound bad either. Those were pretty cheap as well.
lchyi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I'll tell you what, just dropping in those new power tubes made such a difference, I'm not going to change my preamp tube compliment from two 12AX7's and one 12AT7 (in V1).

Oh I will be getting some new TungSol preamp tubes in about a month, but the same combination.

I am just so dumbfounded as to what a major difference these tubes have made. Just astounding!

Old July 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchyi View Post
I have a quad in my TRRI. Made my amp sound way better now after re-tubing with them. I've compared it with a few other TRRIs and they don't come close. Great tubes all around and the best I've ever heard but I have limited experience with NOS 6L6s. I had some Sovtek 6L6s that didn't sound bad either. Those were pretty cheap as well.

Some folks may laugh - but I've had some very pleasant sounding Sovteks.

In a few Peavey Classics I swapped some 12AX7's from factory installed Sovteks to JJ's and the sound was terrible. I never thought I'd be putting factory installed tubes back into any amp - wow.

As far as JJ's they're still my favorite for 6V6's and EL84's, but with 6L6's its Winged C's all the way! EH's are solid for preamps to me - not the sweetest, but solid performers that I can always know what to expect from.

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrash View Post
Some folks may laugh - but I've had some very pleasant sounding Sovteks.

In a few Peavey Classics I swapped some 12AX7's from factory installed Sovteks to JJ's and the sound was terrible. I never thought I'd be putting factory installed tubes back into any amp - wow.

As far as JJ's they're still my favorite for 6V6's and EL84's, but with 6L6's its Winged C's all the way! EH's are solid for preamps to me - not the sweetest, but solid performers that I can always know what to expect from.
Similar experence here. JJ 12AX7's are my main Hi-Fi 12AX7 , but are not at all consistent in guitar amps. Great in some, lousy in others. The 12AX7EH always works well, way better than the standard Sovtek which are usually crappy, dark sounding tubes just my opinion. Ordered some EH 12AY7's to try out. Anyone use these yet?. Also going to check out the Tung-Soll 6V6, heard good things about them.

Old July 5th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibber124 View Post
The 12AX7EH always works well, way better than the standard Sovtek which are usually crappy, dark sounding tubes just my opinion.

Thats why I figured somebody would laugh at me - Sovtek 12AX7's are generally "blah" 99% of the time, but when they're good they surprise you (for being OEM)!

The Ei Elite 12AX7 golds are very troublesome because they're a losing bet on a jackpot - more are microphonic than not - but the tiny few that aren't squealers sound very, very, very good. I gave up on em though - even guys that test before shipping have sent out bad Ei's on me in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibber124 View Post
Ordered some EH 12AY7's to try out. Anyone use these yet?. Also going to check out the Tung-Soll 6V6, heard good things about them.

Yes. I have several EH 12AY7's I'm putting to use. Solid performers... again, not super sweet or anything, but you can always count on them to sound the exact same.

As far as the 6V6's - I actually like the JJ's there as well as EH. Although, the EH's are not as nice sounding as the JJ's... no experience with Tung-Sol 6V6's yet... I really dislike JJ's in general, but their EL84's and 6V6's are my favorite of their type.

Old July 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

When I got my SFVR it had old Phillips 6L6's when it was blackfaced the tech had them biased at 42ma. I thought they sounded tired and I had no idea how long they'd been used in the amp. I had a matched set of TAD 6L6's that I took out of a cathode biased VVT Fralin amp which is about a year old and tried them they biased at 40ma. They're also 1 year old and used. so today I put in a NEW matched pair of SED =C='s with the bias tester they're matched at 41 and 42ma. I think they seem bigger, bolder and more clear. I have a gig tonite so the garage test I just gave them will either be affirmed or not. Hmmm!
nonvintage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Be sure to perform a lot of facial stretching excersizes before your gig, cause your face will hurt from all the grinning your gonna do during, and after the gig!

Old July 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My Pro Tube Twin came loaded up with Fender/GT Svetlana 6L6GC's (not the Winged C variety AFAIK) and I went and bought some JJs. The Svetlanas kick their ass. More punchy round ballsy sweet singingness.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote