Sewell - "Official State Guitar Amp of Texas" - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sewell - "Official State Guitar Amp of Texas"

Well of course it isn't,but it's pretty much the standard guitar amp of most of the Tele toting guitars slingers in almost all of the Big Texas country acts. Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, Roger Craiger, Randy Rogers, Eli Young, etc. I've been on stage for about the last 2 yrs. hearing the awesome amps when our band opens for these guys, and I decided to get one too. I've been a Fender guy for quite some time but I figured I'd follow suite. Anyway, the Texaverb 25 I got is a Deluxe Reverb on steroids. Doug at Sewell made me a deal I couldn't resist. Anyway, this is going to be my first weekend with it, and I'm reallly looking foward to it. Here's some pics.I'm not abandoning my Fenders, I'm just trying out a little different flavor.

Texsunburst59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have the 50W Texaverb. I am a Fender guy and this is my favorite amp ever. Has it all IMO.
2nd_degree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
icd
TDPRI Member

I just tried to checkout their website.

"we're setting up a new website, bear with us while we transition...."
June 9th 2006.

I guess they are busy ....
icd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

If you email him he will get back to you. He follows though for customers, and does what he says he will do for them. One of the reasons all these Texans are using his amps is the fact that they've been able to hear them live enough times to know how well they deliver. Doug burns new amps in on live gigs too. After initial test and burn-in at the shop, he puts the chassis in a beat-up cab and brings it to a local live show. The guitarist plays through it and Doug and others stand back and listen. He pays very close attention and really listens to everbody's take on the sound. His ears are VERY good anyway IMO. He really enjoys what he is doing and has worked at tweeks and improvements for 10 years. It shows.

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by icd View Post
I just tried to checkout their website.

"we're setting up a new website, bear with us while we transition...."
June 9th 2006.

I guess they are busy ....
Here's Doug's Sewell Myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=57577147

Old May 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

2nd degree: Can you further describe your Texaverb 50. Is it a 1x15? I'm so curious about these. Loving my Wampus Cat 1x15, wondering if the TVerb has that kind of richness with a BF slant and reverb. Have you heard/played both types.

Few people up here in the NE have enen heard the name. That's pretty amazing, as this WC is one of the best amps I've ever played.
mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I got to play with a WampusCat 1X15 a few years ago in a Brook-Mays store. It was damn cool...too bad I didn't get a chance to crank it.....
EMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I always thought any outfit that'd name one of their amps a Wampus Cat is pretty cool...
TexGoneNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, I did check out his myspace link. Apparently he's from DFW, so I'm liable to "buy it"...but we also have a few more amp builders like Frenzel and Category 5 amps...

http://www.myspace.com/francisbalagtas
franchelB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad dog View Post
2nd degree: Can you further describe your Texaverb 50. Is it a 1x15? I'm so curious about these. Loving my Wampus Cat 1x15, wondering if the TVerb has that kind of richness with a BF slant and reverb. Have you heard/played both types.

Few people up here in the NE have enen heard the name. That's pretty amazing, as this WC is one of the best amps I've ever played.
I know. Noone around here has heard of Sewell. Noone around here heard of Carr, Fargen, or Allen either when I had them either. Lots of people around Boston think you're a "suckaah" if you spend $ on gear, but jet-skis, and Volvos are OK.
My T-verb is 1x12 with stock Texas Heat (tried a few others-still like the Heat). I would love to try the WC, but have not. I'd say that "TVerb has that kind of richness with a BF slant and reverb" is a good way to describe it. HUGE & full-sounding (but maintains Fender "cut"), overdrives smoothly, reverb is deep and smooth w/o stepping on notes. I did some clips and will post them in the next couple days.

Old May 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_degree View Post
I know. Noone around here has heard of Sewell. Noone around here heard of Carr, Fargen, or Allen either when I had them either. Lots of people around Boston think you're a "suckaah" if you spend $ on gear, but jet-skis, and Volvos are OK.
My T-verb is 1x12 with stock Texas Heat (tried a few others-still like the Heat). I would love to try the WC, but have not. I'd say that "TVerb has that kind of richness with a BF slant and reverb" is a good way to describe it. HUGE & full-sounding (but maintains Fender "cut"), overdrives smoothly, reverb is deep and smooth w/o stepping on notes. I did some clips and will post them in the next couple days.
I'd really like to hear your clips. I'll be doing some also in the next couple of day. I'll post them also.

Old May 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I played one in the Dallas GC a couple of months ago and WOW, ....seriously impressed. It was a 50 watt with 1X15. Very impressive. Also, saw a couple of acts using them recently. If I had the money.....?

Old May 26th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

post deleted

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Sewell Texaverb 50W 1x12 clips

Here are some Texaverb clips I did a few weeks ago: PRS McCarty (stock pups), G&L Asat Classic (stock pups)>Beta Sm57 straight into Yamaha digital recorder-no fx/no eq'ing. Sorry for the very limited Tele samples. I will do some more Tele stuff soon, as I am already working on a new "lounge lizard" demo.

http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/FUN...E_C-BRIDGE.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/M7A-TELE-NECK.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/CHI...cCARTY-MID.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/SWA...cCARTY-MID.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/Gsu...cCARTY-MID.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/FUN...ARTY_C-MID.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/LANTA-McCARTY-NECK.MP3
http://www.ray-bryant.com/images/CAN...cCARTY-MID.MP3

Old May 29th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

2nd Degree, I really liked your clips. I really liked the overdriven clips. You could hear the overdrive, but there was still good note definition. I didn't realize when I got my TV 25 that ther would be that much overdrive on tap. I'm reallly liking the Sewell alot. I going to do some clips tonight. I should be able to post them later. Again, cool clips.

Old May 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
2nd Degree, I really liked your clips. I really liked the overdriven clips. You could hear the overdrive, but there was still good note definition. I didn't realize when I got my TV 25 that ther would be that much overdrive on tap. I'm reallly liking the Sewell alot. I going to do some clips tonight. I should be able to post them later. Again, cool clips.
Thanks! Looking forward to yours.