Amp vs. Computer = Disaster? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Amp vs. Computer = Disaster?

Situation:
I've got a bunch of amps all over my den. For asethetic and practical reasons, my Vox AC30 is sitting next to my Dell XPS 710 in the corner of the room. I went to flick the amp on this morning, and realized how close the amp was to the computer.
My concern:
There is no question that amps generate a strong magnetic field. For kicks a couple of weeks ago, I took a compass in my den and discovered that "north" is always a couple of feet away from an amp.
I'm wondering if I'm endangering the data on my computer because of the amps proximity?!?!

Gr8tfulEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

No computer geeks on this forum who play tele's too?

Old May 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The only problem you will have is noise from the computer rf affecting the amp. Buzzing. That is unless you have a crt as a monitor. Then the magnet may affect the screen in that you can get what looks like colors bleeding on the screen. There is usually a de-gauss function on the monitor to correct the bleed, but it may not clear the problem completly till you move the amps away from the crt.
richard
rdchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Actually, the speaker is a much bigger and tougher magnet than the amp itself. I'd also make sure they're on separate surge protectors, as a guitar amp has a fair bit of inrush current on power-up that can send a nasty spike through your computer's power supply.

Really, though, it's probably not a problem.

-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks fellas. Both those comments make sense. Monitor is an LCD btw, so no issue there (but I have noticed the noise. I think they are on the same circuit. I'll have to check that).

So I gather that there is not a concern, then, that the magnet in the speaker will interfere with data being written or retrieved from the harddrive? My speaker isn't going to erase my harddrive, right?

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

maybe if you took the HD out and stuck it on the speaker magnet for a long time....maybe.

Old May 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tfulEd View Post
Thanks fellas. Both those comments make sense. Monitor is an LCD btw, so no issue there (but I have noticed the noise. I think they are on the same circuit. I'll have to check that).

So I gather that there is not a concern, then, that the magnet in the speaker will interfere with data being written or retrieved from the harddrive? My speaker isn't going to erase my harddrive, right?
You probably have more to worry about with power quality depending upon the draw and your wiring, and you should have a backup for you computer anyway. I suggest an uninterruptable power supply if anything.

Good luck.
imwjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

When I was in high school, there were some huge magnets in the physics lab. Big five pound things that took a determined man to separate them from a metal door jamb. We thought "Whoa! You could really screw up your data with one of those!"

So, we wrote a bunch of data to ten floppy disks (it was the 80's), and put them at various distances and left them there for an hour or something, up to and including sitting on the magnet. There was no data loss.

I have no idea how robust a hard drive is by comparison. Maybe the read/write head might be disturbed by that sort of magnetic field?
tiktok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
When I was in high school, there were some huge magnets in the physics lab. Big five pound things that took a determined man to separate them from a metal door jamb. We thought "Whoa! You could really screw up your data with one of those!"

So, we wrote a bunch of data to ten floppy disks (it was the 80's), and put them at various distances and left them there for an hour or something, up to and including sitting on the magnet. There was no data loss....
Wow. Now that's a test! And I wouldn't have expected that result either. I gather, from the info in this thread, that the data per se is safe. Sounds like I need to look at where the power is coming from to really cover all the bases.

Thanks folks!