Laney GC 30v/VC-30 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Laney GC 30v/VC-30

Okay so I'm looking at this amp right here

http://dallas.craigslist.org/msg/315980911.html

what are your thoughts on this amp? Does anyone else know about the change of the name from GC to VC for SS/tube? As for the sound, how does this compare to an actual AC30, I've read around here and on other sites that it's a bit quieter, not quite Vox but very good in its own respect. Also, what do these usually go for used (for those of you who may even have this amp). Any other thoughts are more than welcome.

Old April 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've got one...

I have had it for over ten years, actually bought it to use with acoustic guitar. Only with basement use, had a problem with the volume control (full on all the time!), and after repair by local tech it came back about three times as loud, after he resoldered some other connections. Now, while a sweet sounding amp, way too loud for home.

Mine is a '95 VC30-112, with the H/H speaker. They have four Sovtek EL84's and three Sovtek 12AX7's. Solid state rectifier in power supply, solid state reverb drivers. Sounds great. Nice reverb, brings me back to the sixties. Bright switch with a tele will take your head off. Nice size, not too heavy. I haven't gigged in many years, but I suspect it would be no problem. Loves telecasters. Don't like the drive channel, although with an SG Jr. I could make it sound like "Ain't Superstitous" from the 1st Jeff Beck album...though generally I find it, er, "brittle." Clean channel is great whether clean or run up loud overdriven...uh, I said LOUD...brings to mind a Marshal-like sound to me.

I see the new ones come with Jensen speakers, and that they now offer a two 12" model; at the time I bought mine, they offered the one 12" or two 10" plus similar speaker only cabs.

I would buy another in a minute...well, too loud for me, probably look at the new Vox AC-15...

JUMP ON THIS FOR $375!...I paid $349 new back when I got mine in the '90's.
Then again, the Bedrock could be good too, I understand a different story, that they wee to build the Vox AC-15 but lost the contract to Marshal, and that was what put them under...someone else may know.
Bill Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Great amp. Had mine for 10+ years. Only 3 12ax7's though. Mine has 2 10's.
Stock speakers were a bit on the trebley side. Put in some vintage CTS
speakers and made a noticeable improvement. Stock w/a Tele I had to roll
the treble all the way off. Nice reverb. Tone's get into Vox territory but not
exactly the same. However the sweet spot is seriously loud! The Drive channel
doesn't quite do it for me but was made more useful with an EH 12AX7 as the
driver tube.

Sturdy build w/chassis mounted tube sockets. Mine has been gigged steadily
w/out a hiccup.
http://www.royhubbs.com
Poppatwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have one of the 2 10 models. Had it for arount 5 years and never had a single problem. I never liked the way it sounded with a humbucker so, I prefer it with single coil guitars. It is loud for sure to get the sweet spot on the clean channel. The drive channel is tricky. I like it with Nocasters and the drive set to around 4 to 5. I found some tube swapping in the drive circuit provided a lot of variations. It has sounded good with my Fulldrive 2 and MXR Dynacomp also. I use it now for my pedal steel at home mostly as the band I play guitar with has gone real low volume and I use a BFPR. The reverb is nice.
rdchapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

+1 on using it with a Fulldrive 2.
http://www.royhubbs.com
Poppatwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

My VC30 112 is a 2005 (or 2004) model with Celestion speaker. Had it for a year now and it's perfect for 60s rock. Have only gigged with it once so far, but it's seen a lot of use in the studio.
Can't say how it compares with Vox AC30, but I tried an AC15CC a couple of weeks ago.

The clean on the AC15 was a little less chimey than on the VC30, but the AC15 had a nicer crunch at low volume. The AC15's reverb was way over the top, whereas the VC30's (Accutronics) is more moderate. The tremolo on the AC15 sounded nice. Wish the VC30 had one.

Also, the AC15 has no channel switching.

Klas

Old April 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Also, what would be a good price for this amp (apart from "it's worth whatever it means to you"). Rather, what would be a reasonable counter offer to the 375 he's asking, i don't have 375 and i was originally looking at a used blues jr or even an ad30vt.