Dwight Yoakam guitarist - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Dwight Yoakam guitarist

hello im new to the forum first post oh ya!! Nice to be here. I am looking for a tube amp and i wanted to know if anyone knew what kind of amp/guitar setup dwight yoakam's guitarist played i really like how it sounded. i think his name was Pete Anderson

tgomes1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Pete Anderson was Dwight's guitarist, producer untill about 2003. I now own one of his Custom shop Tele's and one of his 66 Deluxe Reverbs, modified with 6L6's and a Twin Reverb Out put tranny, and running an EV 12S speaker. Heres a link to a performance with him using the guitar and amp that I bought from him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMwWrW-U9A
Big White Tele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

About 1998 or so, Pete started using Tom Anderson Guitars, and then around 2000, was using Line 6 Vetta heads. Most say that his original tone with the Fenders was his best. I would agree. One of his most memorable pieces with Dwight is 1000 miles from nowhere, (that the rumor is) was recorded with a Fender Custom shop tele with Tremolo into an early Vox AC30 cranked. But his tone in general has been Fender deluxe reverb. Theres a good interview at Vintage guitar magazine,http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=64 He has his own website at Little dog records. Hope this helps!!!

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 28th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I bought Pete's "Roots Rock Workout" dvd and on the extras he does a demo with Line 6 Flex amp with Twin and Deluxe settings.
Filthy McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Pete the great

Pete is one of my fav guitar player... Please buy the Austin City Limits DVD where Pete plays with some kind of Esquire and others babys... but the licks there are awesome specially in 1000 miles.
Dwight Yoakam .. he is not the same since Pete left the band....
KnopflerStyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I opened for Pete Anderson last year and he was playing an Epiphone Hollowbody through an AC30 (but that may not be his standard rig). I got the chance to briefly talk gear with him and he mentioned that he used many different amps for recording with Dwight: His Fender Deluxe, Twins, AC30's etc..

Old February 28th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Last time in town backing Moot Davis, he was playing the Epi thru the Line 6.
http://www.royhubbs.com
Poppatwang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Line 6 use to put out a yearly or bi-yearly magazine/catalog similar to the Fender Frontline.

I remember reading an article on Pete in one of them, circa 2000. They said that Pete brought in his go-to Deluxe (not sure which one it was...maybe the one that Big White Tele speaks of).....and had them "model" it for him. They put that specific amp through their digital modeling process, and gave him a chip for POD 2.0 and Flextone amps, so that he could have that specific amp model anywhere he went.

Old February 28th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's a natural finish Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor with a Bigsby and Fralin P90s. He's been here to Richmond a couple of times with Moot Davis and we've gotten a chance to talk with him a bit. Really nice guy and what a great tone. Those Line 6 sounded fine.

Meanwhile, if you go back and see the Dwight Yoakam Live at Austin City Limits video, he's using an Esquire through a BF Deluxe Reverb for most of the show.

There's also an extended interview with him in couple of issues of ToneQuest report (three or more years ago I think). He gives a great explanation about how he employs midrange in his BF Fender sound.
PhatTele is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Pete and his wife were featured in TapeOp magazine last month. In the article, he maintained that he doesn't use amps to record anymore - all plug n' play Line6 stuff.
-Darren

Old February 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtube View Post
Pete and his wife were featured in TapeOp magazine last month. In the article, he maintained that he doesn't use amps to record anymore - all plug n' play Line6 stuff.
-Darren
And that's about as lazy as a producer can get - I've used plug and play and in my own personal opinion, it sucks. You don;t fill the air around things at all and the guitars can just sound small and characterless. I won't use it. Reason I did use it was due to a lazy engineer and producer who just wanted to dial something up on protools instead of setting up amps and mics....
wow I sound like a retro grouch no offense intended I just felt like expressing my opinion.

If less is more, then I am going to give it my all, and do nothing.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Welcome, tgomes!

Folks are throwing you a lot of info. Here's a simple answer:

It takes more than an amp to sound like Pete Anderson. But to get that nice, bouncy, bitey sound for under $1,000, I'd test drive some Fender Hot Rod Series tube amps, and see which one fits your ear and your wallet.

This isn't a Fender commercial, but for reliablility and ear-worthiness at a reachable price, there's not a whole lot out there.
Charlie Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

The original question speaks of the tone on Dwights stuff. Pete Anderson's sound has changed a lot over the years. Perhaps we need to know what songs on what recordings to answer best. The last Dwight CD that Pete produced, sounds very different than, This Time, or Hillbilly Deluxe. His work with Moot is different again, by Design. Id think that he wants it to be different.

Old February 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White Tele View Post
Pete Anderson was Dwight's guitarist, producer untill about 2003. I now own one of his Custom shop Tele's and one of his 66 Deluxe Reverbs, modified with 6L6's and a Twin Reverb Out put tranny, and running an EV 12S speaker.
That's so cool that you own those, I always loved the sound of his DR's. And thanks for sharing all the great Pete A. info. :-)

Just out of curiosity: do you have any idea how many watts your Deluxe is now putting out? (I would guess that with the 6L6's and that big iron that it's a lot more than the standard 22w... ) Thx again, CS :-)

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Hi Chris, I really dont know how many watts it would push, but the Ot is from a 66 Twin Reverb, 2 6L6"s would make it half of a Twin, Im not sure if that would translate into 85 divided by 2= 42.5? I can say that compared to my 66 Twin, the Deluxe still breaks up before it, but compared to my stock 64 Deluxe Reverb, its about 30% louder before breakup. There is so much more to this amp than you can imagine. I know that Red Rhoads had done the mods, and Pete talks about the midrange mod to the Deluxes which equates to having a mid control turned to 10. This amp sounds like it has a built in Compressor. Anderson say's he never used a comp, and its no wonder. This amp does it on its own. Its just a beautifull piece of work. I wish I could share it with you all. If you take a Stock Blackface Deluxe, add a EV12s speaker, use a Anologman comp, or keeley, and an EQ pedal, you get very close to the same tone, but the feel is something else. Theres still a lot of magic in this amp. And the Guitar.... thats another story..Incredible. I cant imagine a better Tele.

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Go to Pete's website, www.peteanderson.com and look through the Blue Lounge pages. Pete gives away a few secrets through questions sent to him by his fans. From what I recall Pete in the beginning used Deluxe Reverbs til about 1990 then switched over to Fender Vibro Kings and a Fender Tone Master along with a Groove Tubes Soul-o head. He used the Tone Master and the Groove Tube amp for his more rock-like songs. He also dabbled with the Tweed Blues Deluxe amp upon their invent in the early to mid 90's but I don't think he ever recorded with one. Somewhere in the late 90's he began using the Amp Farm recording software and his last few albums with Dwight were done without an amp period. Then in the 2000's he started using Line 6 stuff and last summer I saw him with Moot Davis he was using a pair of Line 6 Flextone II's.

For me his best stuff was the early Dwight material up to and partially including the "This Time" album. I also liked his more aggresive tone on "Dwight Live" it's a bit more distorted than his studio stuff. I am still up in the air about his tone on the "This Time" album mostly because the production seemed really heavy. I thought Pete's tone was a little to smooth and just lacked the edge I grew to love from his early stuff but "This Time" was such a great all around album, Dwight's most consistent album IMO.

People have commented on Pete's early tone and raw edgy style and their love for it but he has consistently said he can't do it anymore. Can't or won't. When I saw him last summer with Moot Davis he played great stuff but he never "tore one down" like I was hoping but Moot is even more traditional than Dwight at least thus far and Pete was playing it safe IMO. Pete seems more interested in producing and playing for the song as opposed to shreding and I miss that.
Acephspades is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 03:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, thanks again for all the info sounds like quite an amp. :-) And I bet you're right, it's probably in the neighborhood of 40-something watts (but I'm sure there's more involved than I know anything about.) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big White Tele View Post
This amp sounds like it has a built in Compressor. Anderson say's he never used a comp
I used a compressor once: I had a sofa that one of the feet had broken off of, and that little red Dyna-Comp leveled it out perfectly. Handy thing to have around the house. CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 03:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Get yourself a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Put in some good tubes and have it biased. Maybe replace the speaker with a good vintage styled AlNiCo.

Fender Vibro Kings are still being sold, right?

Anyways, a reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb should get you in the ballpark. I'd imagine you'd have to play it loud to get a tad of natural compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtube View Post
-Darren

Yeah, and it sounds like ASS.

The backing tracks he did for that Guitar Center "King of the Blues" contest sound like robots, synths, and Line 6... yuck. Early Dwight on the other hand sounds great!

Last band I was in, I refused to go Line 6 after hearing the tracks the other guitar player did. Close, but still no guitar... er cigar.

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2007, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I had DR set up like that, 'cept for the tranny, for long time. It was the most portable versatile machine I think I've ever owned. Sounded great with all types of guitars and volume was tremendous. I had no trouble keeping up with the loudest bands. I've since put it back to stock except for a neg feedback control and use it for lower volume gigs and as a backup. It would be last amp I'd ever sell. They just do everything right. I think the EV is 80% of the equation for the Pete Anderson stuff..That low end...
frank4001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smokey View Post
... I got the chance to briefly talk gear with him and he mentioned that he used many different amps for recording with Dwight: His Fender Deluxe, Twins, AC30's etc..
Unlike the old dayze, these dayze most guitar artists are recording with studio gear - studio guitars and amps. It's the exception, not the rule, to find a player/band using their own gear for most recorded tunes. Ask me how I know this ...
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote