How many run two amps? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

How many run two amps?

I used to run a two amp system and was always knocked out at the great tone I had with either my bedrock or matchless along with a Super Reverb RI. I got away from that system and have gigged with my 18 watter exclusively. This weekend a friend let me test drive his homebuilt Tweed deluxe and I am in tone heaven again. Those 6L6's and EL84's create a tone highway thick and wide enough to drive a truck thru. My pedal board is stereo and the lush effects such as chorus is really a blast to play with.

I'm going to keep this amp as it's small enought to make it easy to setup and break down. Anybody else out there run multi amp systems?

fierce_carrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Almost

I'm waiting on a combo cabinet, but when it gets here I'll be running two amps side by side (or stacked). The first is Allen Amps Hot Fudge 1x10, the second will be a Robert Allen Amps Not Fudge 1x10. The Not Fudge is my own hybrid that uses a Hot Fudge chassis and transformers for a circuit that blends AB763, 5F6A, and 6G3 features. Both amps use 6V6s with a 5Y3 rectifier. I can't wait to hear these two together: two different voices, 30W total, through two 10s -- and no bigger than a small head plus 2x10 cabinet! I'll post some pictures in a few weeks.

Robert Allan (Bob) Arbogast
Bob Arbogast is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Certainly not as nice as the setups you guys have mentioned, but occasionally I have gigged with two Pro Juniors on opposite ends of the stage. I would run my guitar thru a stereo chorus pedal with the speed all the way down and the depth all the way up. It's a pretty subtle effect. Those two little amps can sound huge together.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

On different occasions, I've used:

Two Peavey Bravos with different tubes and speakers.

A Peavey VTM 60/Classic 412 half stack + an Ampeg Reverberocket half stack.

A Wet/Dry/Wet setup.

The VTM 60/Classic 412 half stack for clean and a 5150 Combo for dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Pickup View Post
'tone is in the underpants'
e-merlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I ran an interesting system when in my last Band. I had a Matamp Head and Cab on one side of the stage and a Fender Concert on the other. Running via an A/B Box I used the Concert for those cleans and The Matamp handled everything else. It was a hugely flexible Rig and drew comment wherever it went. Unusually in some respects.....I ran both together 95% of the time. Matamps are missunderstood by many......They are NOT Marshalls!!!!! The combination allowed for what I have always regarded as MY perfect sound, Clean, Punchy, but with a real Snarl and Growl when required.

I have just purchased a Vibrolux to replace the long gone Concert and have a new Custom Matamp Rig on order.....so things will become quite entertaining again before very much longer.

Pip Pip
Lexie
Lex Lurid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I run 2 Fender "red knob" amps, "The Twin" and a "Dual Showman" which is the same thing in a head unit. Love it, I also run a 70 watt solid state just for the drummer to hear whats going on.
Clive Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm currently running a Boogie MkIII and Fender "The Twin" together. The signal from my pedalboard is split by a BOSS DD3. The direct signal goes to the Fender (with reverb running), the delayed signal goes to the Boogie (dry). The delay is set to a single repeat at approx 30msec. The Fender provides a nice top and bottom. The Boogie puts the "grunt" in the middle. Still twangy but nice and fat!

www.101proof.net
dmt101proof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

me too!

i run a modded Peavey C30 and a SF Champ right next to each other. the champ stays on the edge of breakup so a heavy hand will tip it into "grrr" and with a fairly subtle tremolo going into it and the C30 i can bring in and out using the mute on my pedal tuner and that switches between clean, dirty and dirtier. no other effects or reverb. had some really nice compliments on my guitar sound recently too. everything is usually mic'd when we play live so the FOH guy can pan away till his heart's content. i hate having to play with one amp now. it feels flat and one dimensional. i love playing with the colours by subtly tweaking the relative volumes too. lots of fun.

al.

http://elvers.bandcamp.com/
captain gorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by morroben
Certainly not as nice as the setups you guys have mentioned, but occasionally I have gigged with two Pro Juniors on opposite ends of the stage. I would run my guitar thru a stereo chorus pedal with the speed all the way down and the depth all the way up. It's a pretty subtle effect. Those two little amps can sound huge together.
did exactly the same thing with a blues and a pro jr. sounded "too much" for me. now i am back to one amp.

Old November 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

{ { { ( ( ( <--- S T E R E O R O C K S ! ---> ) ) ) } } }

I love running two amps when I can, especially with stereo effects like chorus or delay it makes the guitar sound HUGE without necessarily adding too much volume. But a lot of the stages I play barely have room for one amp, let alone anything more. :-\ So I don't get to do it nearly as often as I would like.

As to which two amps, I have several smaller combos I can use, it just depends what I think might be best for the gig. Sometimes outdoors I've even used a Super Reverb together with a 4x10 Bassman RI that's BIG fun. :-)

Btw,
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_carrot
... have gigged with my 18 watter exclusively. This weekend a friend let me test drive his homebuilt Tweed deluxe ... Those 6L6's and EL84's create a tone highway thick and wide enough to drive a truck thru.
Nice description. And I agree, an 18 watter and a 5E3 would be delicious together. Yum. :-) But unless your friend's tweed Deluxe has been modified, it's likely using 6V6s; they tend to have a creamier sound, IMO. Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Hugh
I run 2 Fender "red knob" amps, "The Twin" and a "Dual Showman" which is the same thing in a head unit. Love it, I also run a 70 watt solid state just for the drummer to hear whats going on.
You're playing through what amounts to two Twins and your drummer can't hear you?! =:-O Yipes! (Just kidding, I know you mean you're using the 70w amp as a monitor. But still... ) ;-) CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I rarely can do this, for practical reasons. But oh man, when it's possible, what fun! Last time for me was an outdoor stage, running a Clark Tyger (tweed bandmaster) plus a Gibson GA40. The kind of tone you don't soon forget. Hope to someday run my two magnatones together live.
mad dog is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Two amps.

I used to run a Peavey Special 130 with a Twin Reverb. It gave a really full sound.
The nice thing about running two amps is that if one fails the show goes on. This happened on a live radio broadcast from a bar a few years ago. I was running an MXR EQ through the in/out jacks on the back of the 130. Unfortunately one of the patch cables went open and the 130 went into silent mode. The Twin went on chugging until the next station break.
I made my own splitter box. All my pedals were in front of the box so both amps were flying in formation.
The other neat thing is if you want to sell one of them, just hang a forsale sign out front.
Cantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I've got an 18 watt Marshall I built and modified for 6V6 tubes for "Dirty"...

Once I'm done building my BF circuit Princeton Reverb modified for 6L6's I'll have my "Clean" amp.

Both are built into VibroChamp chassis I got from CancerLeoCam here on the forums and both will be built into matching pine 1x12" cabs (similar in size to the old SF Musicmaster Bass cabs, but a little wider for the huge reverb tank on the PR).

I've got them both with lightweight neodymium magnet'ed speakers:
An Eminence Tonkerlite for the 18w and a Jensen Neo12-100 for the Prince.

But, most times I only need one sound - dirty and loud.

In this case I only bring out my early 50s circuit tweed Twin head I built (mod'ed with a 35watt OT) cranked and run it through either a Jensen 15" AlNiCo P15N cab I built (nice and creamy), OR if I need more volume, an Avatar 2x12" with Vintage 30s (huge mids)... if that's too much, I'll run it with a TS808 clone I built in front of her or a homemade 100watt attenuator, but that's not very often :)

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I like to run a Vox AC-15 with a Roland Space Echo and a '66 Deluxe Reverb. I set it so the repeats go into the DR. Those two amps just compliment each other real well. The Vox has that nice compression, just on the edge of breakup while the DR has the sparkle.

What's really fun is to plug into two Twin Reverbs. Set them about four feet apart. No pedals, no delays, no nothin'. It'll make you feel like a god.
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I figured out not long after I got it that I could use my volume pedal to blend a second amp in if I ran the "normal" amp off of the tuner output, I set my Laney up clean and then caned the volume on my Matamp C7 all the way across, worked great, and you can change the ammount of other amp on the fly rather than having to go up and adjust it or just being stuck with the "On/Off" of an A/B/Y box.

I'd like to try it with a bigger set up some time though. Bi-amping rocks.
The Amazing Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 05:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Used to run a SFDR together with a Bassman RI. Either with the SFDR for cleans, and the BMRI (with Weber Mass) for dirt, or both together, for a very full and complex sound (clean or overdriven, by using the guitars volume pot).
Used a Lehle A/B/Y box to switch (great box).
Now I've got a Victoria Victorilux, which have got some many usable tones, that I no longer feel the need for two amps (might go back one day, though :-)
teXum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

In my experience, you get awesome tones by mixing two amps with two different types of output tubes.

Current fave setup is a new Vox AC15 along with my '63 BFDR, with the guitar signal split by a Fender Reberb Unit modded with a second output jack. A veritable universe of cream, twang and sparkle! BTW, I use the tremelo on the Vox only, turning the Depth all the way up and that makes for a neat-o kinda stereo effect with the non-tremelo-ing DR.
tweedtone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedtone
In my experience, you get awesome tones by mixing two amps with two different types of output tubes.

Current fave setup is a new Vox AC15 along with my '63 BFDR, with the guitar signal split by a Fender Reberb Unit modded with a second output jack. A veritable universe of cream, twang and sparkle! BTW, I use the tremelo on the Vox only, turning the Depth all the way up and that makes for a neat-o kinda stereo effect with the non-tremelo-ing DR.
i do the exact same thing with tremolo going into one amp. if i have to play with just one amp i find that the tremolo sounds soo unsubtle. too much "ON/OFF" even set fairly conservatively. but with one amp pulsing away and the other smoothly filling all the gaps it's a very cool stereo kind of sound.

http://elvers.bandcamp.com/
captain gorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedtone

EXACTLY! The top end of an EL84 amp with the mids and lows of the Fenders is just incredible.
fierce_carrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Narrow panel deluxe and a '63 Vibroverb reissue with an A/B/Y box.
I love both together.
The dirt of the deluxe with a little cleaner sound added in so I can hear a little more attack/articulation along with the dirt...yum.
charlie chitlin is online now   Reply With Quote