Floating vs Fixed Baffle - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Floating vs Fixed Baffle

I'm building or will have built a new cab and was wondering what the tradeoffs are between fixed baffles and floating baffles.

Also, if anyone can give a good description of what exactly is a floating baffle, I'd appreciate it. The way I understand it, a floating baffle is screwed to the edge of the amp or a brace and not glued in. A fixed baffle sits in a dado slot in the sides of the amp and is glued in.

Anyone have photos of a floating baffle?

--oh and before anyone else gets there: I'm baffled!

benhenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

A floating baffleboard is affixed to the cab on only two sides. A board could be affixed with screws but not be a floating board if it was affixed on 3 or four sides.
The thickness of the board might render the question of the difference between floating or non-floating moot. In Tweed Fenders, the floating baffleboards were thinner than BF floating boards and therefore able to react to the vibrations of the speakers. Tweed amps are more organic due in part to the reactive nature of their cabs. Larger speakers demand more support and therefore thicker boards. Thickness brings stiffness and loss of the reactive nature. Gluing the board into dadoes stiffens the board even more.
Depending on what the player wants, non-floating boards might be preferable....tighter, cleaner sounds with quick attack. Floating boards won't yield that tight sound to the extent that a non-floater would.
Regardless of thickness of the board or how many sides are used in the attachments, I prefer one-piece baffle/grill boards. I don't care for velcro-attached grill boards.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I almost always "float" a .455" seven ply oak baffle board. 'Cept it don't float, it SINKS. Nah, no real floaters for me - I prefer the solid approach and let the drivers to they personal talking. I'm with Wally, too - one piece baffle/grille boards eliminate another source of buzzing cab components. YMMV.
Rob DiStefano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Could this be why the late model silver face fenders sounded a little poor
Fixed slotted baffleboards?
ramseybella is offline   Reply With Quote