Savage Audio Amps - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Savage Audio Amps

What do you guys think of them? I am just curious. I have had my Rohr 15 for a little over a year, and I believe it is the best amp I have played or heard.

Just wanted your opinions on em...

lzstones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I have a Savage Macht 6 and find it amazing in every respect. It sounds like a bigger amp, and is built to last a lifetime. My only wish is that it had reverb to complement the fantastic tremolo.
sidneystreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Big mistake . . .

One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling my Savage Macht 6. I had it built for me, but I just had to experiment with some other amps - so I sold it. I live a few miles from where the amps are built, so I know Jeff and the gang at Savage fairly well - they have helped me with lots of projects, and I've bought a few amps from them. The Macht 6 was one of the best sounding amps I've ever had (including vintage blackface and tweed Fenders).

I hope to have another Savage amp someday - when I'm mature enough to hang onto it!

Dean

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old September 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Best amp out there

I actually work for Savage, so you could say I like 'em...and I'm doing my best to spread the word--within the rules of TDPRI.

I've had the chance to play every model, but the Glas 30 is my favorite. I've got my Tele sound dialed-in right now and it's excellent. The breakthrough came when Jeff informed me that if you put the master volume on a Savage full-open, it basically takes it out of the circuit. So with the master dimed, I set the channel volumes both at 9 o'clock, the treble full open, mid full closed, bass at half. Then I jumper the channels for a little extra thickness and--BAM! Tele tone heaven with plenty of clean headroom but just enough hair when the volume on the guitar is wide open. Adding in a little reverb only makes it better.

When the Clapton show came through a few weeks ago I also got the chance to play Doyle Bramhall's Blitz 50, which was surprisingly playable for a big-watt amp.

I could go on and on, but I want to honor TDPRI by not turning this post into a sales pitch. I'd love to talk to any of you on the side about Savage, so please feel free to PM me.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Macht 6 volume/ headroom?

A couple questions for those that have tried one:

1. How does the Macht 6 compare to a Pro Jr.?

2. How does it sound when run through a bigger cabinet?
Marky D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky D.
A couple questions for those that have tried one:

1. How does the Macht 6 compare to a Pro Jr.?

2. How does it sound when run through a bigger cabinet?

I haven't a/b'd against a Pro Jr., so I can't comment. The Macht 6 sounds very good through a bigger cabinet. Note that the Macht 12x will blow away most amps in it's range, and that it comes with a half-power switch that really takes the volume down to bedroom/studio levels without a loss of tone. I've heard from some players that actually use the half-power switch on stage for that extra gain, and then use the full-power mode in the studio for more headroom.

Old September 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Macht 6 vs Pro Jr. . . .

There seems to be quite a difference between the two - at least to my ears. The PJ might clock out at a higher volume, but the M6 is not too far behind. I sensed that the PJ was definitely less refined than the Savage amp, and it was much less resonant. I think that might be because of the cabinet size and construction - the Macht 6 has a relatively large cabinet for the output, and that enhances the resonance. For the M6, the magic seems to be in the circuit design - I tried numerous pre-amp and power tube combinations, and they all were pretty similar in terms of sound. The Pro Jr. is ultra-sensitive to pre-amp tubes - it hums and hisses loudly if the "wrong" pre-amp tube is used, and you always know that the amp is turned on. The Macht 6 was extremely articulate at lower volumes and developed a nice crunch when cranked - probably because of the 6V6 configuration. The Pro Jr. doesn't seem to respond as well to pickup attack, but that could be because of the higher output. For shaping tone, the M6 responds well to different speakers - there was a world of difference between the original Mojotone British-style speaker that came with the amp, a newer Jensen that I tried, and the old JBL D120F that I finally ended up using. I haven't had time to mess with the PJ speaker, although at 10", it will sound different from the M6's 12 incher.

The Macht 6 is, of course, much more expensive, but it is also built much better, has PTP wiring, has a beautifully crafted cabinet, and has super customer service. I like my little Pro Jr., but I loved that Macht 6. Again, I am an idiot for selling it!

Dean

Old September 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hey, could you say more about the D120F vs. the Mojotone, please?

Old September 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Macht 6 w/ JBL D120F

In my experimenting over the past few years, one of the things that I've come to enjoy is great tube overdrive. I know lots of people like the sound of an old Jensen speaker for their breakup (think 5E3 w/vintage Jensen), but for some reason, I like the overdrive to come from the circuit - maybe that's why I'm always attracted to lower power amps.

The Macht 6 came with a Mojotone British-voiced speaker that was just too jangly and chimey for my tastes - I tend to like mids cranked a bit and highs rolled off (I also struggle with some Tele bridge pickups for this same reason). I tried a Jensen speaker that sounded pretty good, but it seemed to flab out a bit when I drove it hard. So I talked with Jeff about speaker characteristics, and decided to try out a reconed JBL that he had on the wall. He was going to let me test drive it for a while, but as soon as I popped it into the amp, I was sold!

The JBL, because of its inherent construction and magnet size, plays extremely clean. It doesn't fart out and can maintain its character over quite a broad power range - I think that's why you see them in Twin Reverbs and other higher powered Fender amps. I found that the speaker was very neutral in that it didn't color the tone of the amp circuit as much as the other speakers did, and it also allowed for the tube/circuit driven overdrive to come through loud and clear (clear overdrive - is that an oxymoron?). I'm really sold on how Jeff voices his amps, and the JBL let the amp do the talking more than the speaker.

I'm sure that there are a number of other speakers that would also work well in these amps - I never got a chance to try any Weber speakers, but I know that some of them would have been killer! I just think that Savage amps are the type that respond nicely to different speakers, but for me, I wanted the tone to come from the chassis - thus, the D120F was best.

Dean

Old September 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I eventually replaced the Mojotone BV-30V in my Macht 6 with an Eminence Red, White, and Blues. Similar to Dean, I found a more neutral speaker better matches my tonal preference.
sidneystreet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

glas 30

how do you jump the channels and what does it do? i am buying a glass 30 head this weekend running it through a bruno 2 12 celestion 70 anniversary speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
I actually work for Savage, so you could say I like 'em...and I'm doing my best to spread the word--within the rules of TDPRI.

I've had the chance to play every model, but the Glas 30 is my favorite. I've got my Tele sound dialed-in right now and it's excellent. The breakthrough came when Jeff informed me that if you put the master volume on a Savage full-open, it basically takes it out of the circuit. So with the master dimed, I set the channel volumes both at 9 o'clock, the treble full open, mid full closed, bass at half. Then I jumper the channels for a little extra thickness and--BAM! Tele tone heaven with plenty of clean headroom but just enough hair when the volume on the guitar is wide open. Adding in a little reverb only makes it better.

When the Clapton show came through a few weeks ago I also got the chance to play Doyle Bramhall's Blitz 50, which was surprisingly playable for a big-watt amp.

I could go on and on, but I want to honor TDPRI by not turning this post into a sales pitch. I'd love to talk to any of you on the side about Savage, so please feel free to PM me.
mikashley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The Glas 30 rules! Best sounding amp I've ever played through.

All those other little amps just sound boxey and totally lacking in sonic dimension. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much money for something that sounds so bad especially when you could buy a Champ or a small tweed and sound just as bad for half the money.

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I recorded with a Macht 12 last year. Fabulous amp! Very, very refined sound at the "edge of breakup" point. I used it for leads over an acoustic guitar and voice (we later added bass). I kept tweaking the gain, asking if it was too overdriven. At the point where both bandmate and engineer said "yes", I turned it up a hair more and left it there. Sounded great when all was done!

-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Small amps sure do record well!

www.telenator.com
Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here's a couple of clips of the Savage Macht 12 in action...

Not the Marrying Kind ($50 Artisan lap steel with a gold Lace Sensor pickup added, signal split between mic'd amp and direct via RNC compressor. Forgive the simple lines, I'd only been playing lap steel for a month!)

Less Than or Equal To (Gibson Blueshawk, Dimarzio Virtual P90 neck pickup, straight into the amp)

-from Buffy the Vampire Slayer
kludge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean View Post
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was selling my Savage Macht 6. I had it built for me, but I just had to experiment with some other amps - so I sold it.
Wow, you just told my Savage story! I had a Macht 6 built for me a couple years ago. Ordered it through Willies. Mine came with a Celestion G12H30 and it ruled running through that speaker! Sorry I got rid of it.
Jack Knife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

When I saw Teddy Morgan last summer he'd ditched his tweed amp for a Savage (not sure of the model, but it looked like 1-12" set up). He sounded great on that thing. Had a Custom Shop Esquire running through it.