Death Cap? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Death Capacitor?

What is this death capacitor in fender amps that I hear about? Where is it?

Thanks
Timbomc

Last edited by TimboMc; July 22nd, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
TimboMc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

It's on two prong power corded amps.
comes of the polarity switch.
.50 cap I believe
if the cap fails, I believe the chassis is HOT in one position.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ah, the death cap...

The "Ground" switch on tweed amps switches a .047 mfd capacitor between legs of the two-wire power lead, allowing you to get rid of buzz or hum; however component failure could result in the hot side of the power lead making the chassis...and probably your guitar...hot as well.

Not a good thing.

Proper modification entails removing the ground switch and cap, placing the fuse in the hot side of the line before the power switch, attaching the neutral side (white) of the line direct to a transformer lead and attaching the third (green) ground wire from the new cord to the chassis.

I know I have seen an "Uncle Spot" diagram put up here before; same one as in Dave Funk's book. Does anyone have it to put up???
Bill Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

nevermind!
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Here it is!

The diagram, that is...

http://www.unclespot.com/3prongconversion.JPG
Bill Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies. The same applies to a champ without the ground switch I assume. I have a Big Blue .047 Cap on the side of the fuse that goes to ground. I should remove this and complete the uncle spot mod?
Thanks
Tim

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboMc
Thanks for the replies. The same applies to a champ without the ground switch I assume. I have a Big Blue .047 Cap on the side of the fuse that goes to ground. I should remove this and complete the uncle spot mod?
Thanks
Tim
It only applies to amps with a ground switch, particularly 2wire amps.

A three wire power cord amp with ground switch will blow the outlet's fuse/breaker (hopefully) if you go hot to chassis/ground, but with building wiring as it is, thats not guaranteed. Neither is it guaranteed if you defeat the 3wire with an adapter and dont ground the pigtail wire.

HOWEVER - the chances of shorting that cap are pretty damn small. I mean really small. Can it happen? Well probably. Has it happened, can't say that I've never heard of one documented case, only anecdotal stories.

I mean consider this - if your preamps 12AX7 shorts plate to grid, your guitar is gonna have +200vDC on it. And let me tell you folks, tubes short WAY more often than capacitors (which usually go open). Do you hear about that problem happening? No. Also capacitors will almost never go short all at once. And, capacitors pass AC (which your wall has) and block DC, so in a way you're getting that chassis potentially revved up a bit anyway even when its working fine, and people are just not dropping dead all over the place from it.

Don't lose sleep over the "death cap". Its an issue folks have picked up on that is really not a big deal. If you want to though, put a 630v Orange Drop in there, and you can think on it lasting another 30 years with no issues.

Last edited by -CB-; July 22nd, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
-CB- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Thanks
Tim
Check your PM's Tim.

Since I put a 3 prong power cord on there, the death cap can be removed.

What's the "Uncle Spot mod"?

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.
JohnnyCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks CB

Johnnycrash See bill Ashtons link above if this doesn't workhttp://www.unclespot.com/3prongconversion.JPG

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Whoops... edit

3 Gibsons, 5 Teles, assorted other guitars, about a dozen amps, about two dozen pedals, a Smith & Wesson SW40VE, & a .40 SIG Sauer P226R = too many toys, no money, carpal tunnel, and a serious hearing problem.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Thanks CB

Johnnycrash See bill Ashtons link above if this doesn't workhttp://www.unclespot.com/3prongconversion.JPG
The Champ didn't have a ground switch normally.

From my understanding the ground switch was also for the old 2 prong outlets. I thought it was supposed to reverse Live and Neutral in case you plugged the 2 prong cord in "reversed" on the old sockets (if you did, there'd be a hum, so the switch was needed to reduce that hum).

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

JohnnyCrash - cap or no.... bad stage power OR bad equpment can turn yer lip into a fuse.

I'll take a moment to remind everyone that stage power MUST, and I mean M.U.S.T come from one and only one source. No matter if the stage is a pro stage, some club, impromptu backyard jam... ONE SOURCE for power.

Taken in the literal - a backyard jam. Moe plugs his PA into the outlet over by the pool pump, and Joe plugs his amp into the outlet on the other side of the house by the AC unit, with an extension cord. Electricians never saw it coming in days of yore.* Both sources are 230v, and the electrical folks wired one outlet off one phase to give accessory 115v, and the AC man wired an accessory outlet off the other phase. If one amp has a fault, you get 115 on your lip. If both go... you get to boogie like a cockroach in the sun.

A small voltmeter isn't a bad thing to have in your bag of trix.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CB-
Taken in the literal - a backyard jam. Moe plugs his PA into the outlet over by the pool pump, and Joe plugs his amp into the outlet on the other side of the house by the AC unit, with an extension cord. Electricians never saw it coming in days of yore.* Both sources are 230v, and the electrical folks wired one outlet off one phase to give accessory 115v, and the AC man wired an accessory outlet off the other phase. If one amp has a fault, you get 115 on your lip. If both go... you get to boogie like a cockroach in the sun.
Very true, CB. But, this scenario exists everywhere - residential & commercial buildings can & do have outlets fed from either leg possibly in the same room. It's even possible (although rare) to have a 3-wire feed from 2 adjacent breakers to one duplex outlet. With the receptacle's hot-side link broken off, you get two separate circuits - one up & one down, sharing the same neutral, and have the 230V potential mentioned in your post above. An outlet like this can LOOK like it's the same source...

It's not a problem unless there's a problem!
Glen W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CB-
JohnnyCrash - cap or no.... bad stage power OR bad equpment can turn yer lip into a fuse.

I'll take a moment to remind everyone that stage power MUST, and I mean M.U.S.T come from one and only one source. No matter if the stage is a pro stage, some club, impromptu backyard jam... ONE SOURCE for power...
A small voltmeter isn't a bad thing to have in your bag of trix.
Amen to that CB! I can't even count the number of times I made the mistake of not following this advice, but I finally learned. Its the only way, short of the VOM to be sure that all equipment shares the same polarity.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen W
Very true, CB. But, this scenario exists everywhere - residential & commercial buildings can & do have outlets fed from either leg possibly in the same room. It's even possible (although rare) to have a 3-wire feed from 2 adjacent breakers to one duplex outlet. With the receptacle's hot-side link broken off, you get two separate circuits - one up & one down, sharing the same neutral, and have the 230V potential mentioned in your post above. An outlet like this can LOOK like it's the same source...

It's not a problem unless there's a problem!
I totally agree anythings possible.

In the same room, it is, and has been for a long time, illegal for electricians to wire from opposite phases. Not to say it doesn't happen, but... its supposed to be guarded against. New construction since the early 70's has had GFI's in certain areas, but they're getting more common all the time.

I'm not sure what you're saying on the 3wire with the hot broken off... that scenario seems to be digging a bit deeper than even the death cap on - but yes it IS possible.

And "things" are possible too, don't get me wrong! I've been hit by lightning 3 times, injured twice! Just carry a meter, set it to an AC range, and read from geetar to micofone. Oughta be like kissin' yer sister - NUTHIN!