Vintage Fender Champ Amplifiers....worth? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Vintage Fender Champ Amplifiers....worth?

Does anyone have an idea what a Fender Champ amp would go for these days? It's really clean. It works well. Says made in Fullerton, Ca on the back. It is a small amp but has a nice sound? Hang onto it or sell it?

Old June 20th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

300.00 but hang on to it... if you are gonna play it... they are awesome amps and consistently sought after provided it was produced prior to around 1977. Is it black or tweed? does it have a silver plate on the control knobs or is it black faced...

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent
300.00 but hang on to it... if you are gonna play it... they are awesome amps and consistently sought after provided it was produced prior to around 1977. Is it black or tweed? does it have a silver plate on the control knobs or is it black faced...
it is a black tolex amp with a silver (aluminum looking)plate behind the control knobs. The knobs, themselves, are black with a silver center in the knob. The serial number stamped in the back reads: A828516.

It is a 6 watt amp. It is in great condition....tolex, operating condition.....nice

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 21st, 2006, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
it is a black tolex amp with a silver (aluminum looking)plate behind the control knobs. The knobs, themselves, are black with a silver center in the knob. The serial number stamped in the back reads: A828516.

It is a 6 watt amp. It is in great condition....tolex, operating condition.....nice
A828516 = 1978

Old June 21st, 2006, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBlue
Quote:

A828516 = 1978
Does that mean this amp is "less" sought after...be honest. Do I have something here or is it just an old Fender amp?

Old June 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
a42
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittwin
Does that mean this amp is "less" sought after...be honest. Do I have something here or is it just an old Fender amp?
getbent is right on about the price. Silver Face Champs routinely fetch around $300 on eBay. Two years ago it was low $200's, so prices are going up.

As far as the year... it's a much bigger deal with other Fender models than it is with the Champ.
a42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Champ prices

I respectfully disagree with the $300 figure.

I bought one on ebay a couple weeks ago after hunting for about a month. I'd say the SF Champs average $225 on ebay without factoring in shipping. Occasionally someone will bid them up into the $240 neighborhood.

SF Vibro Champs average about $300. I've seen them go as low as $204 and as high as $389.

You may get a little more money if you advertise it on your local Craigslist because the purchaser can avoid the cost of shipping.
IronJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBlue
Quote:

A828516 = 1978
IMO, you have an example of an amp that every guitarist should own...a Champ or some other small wattage, hand-wired vintage amp. It will last you years, is repairable, sounds good at the volumes that it was designed to produce....and you won't ever lose your money on it. Keep it. You CANNOT replace it for what it will bring you.The parts to build it would cost you more than the last post says it will bring on ebay.
As to its desirability and clout in the marketplace, it does not bring what a BF Champ will bring. The BF will not bring what the tweed Champs will bring either. No Champ is going to lose money in the marketplace. The tweeds will go higher faster than the others.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i have a silver face champ, it has the tail on the fender emblem, does that mean 1972, or there abouts ??