Tone Tubby Speakers - User Opinions? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Tone Tubby Speakers - User Opinions?

I'd like to hear opinions from those who use, have tried, or have heard Tone Tubby speakers.

Thanks in advance.

bobbyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

dark

and they get darker after they break in. I'm not a huge fan of hemp cone speakers, however if you have an overly bright rig, then this speaker may just do it.
Stan Martin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

ditto

very dark...

i used a 2x10 alnico hempcone cabinet with my deluxe reverb for a few gigs.....

the bass is TIGHT. very nice.

i would think a tone tubby 12 and a weber alnico would sit well together in a twin reverb...

or how about a

tone tubby 12
celestion blue alnico 12
weber alnico P12q
and a Jensen C12N

in a 4x12 cab?

or would that just be pure insanity?

The new EP "Back and Forth" is available now!
niterail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Sponsored by...

Old April 26th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Tone Tubby ceramic 12 in my Crate V3112. I like it a lot. The bass is really solid, and it has full rich harmonic content without any "Ice-pick". It's also loud as hell....and heavy as hell. I play Gibsons as well as Fenders; I'm used to playing all sorts of different pickups. This may explain why I do not think it's a "dark" speaker.

Old April 27th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I've put two Alnico Tone Tubby's in two different amps as per customer's requests and they didn't do nothing for me. I agree with you guys they seem too dark, and wayyyyy toooo much money for them. I can think of a lot of other ways to improve the tone at alot less cost than them.

-Tony
trdlasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks all!

....your opinions are/were greatly appreciated!
bobbyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

They are'nt Tone Tubbys, but Eminence worked with Broun Soun to come up with the Cannibas Rex. They are the Eminance take on the ceramic 12s. Essentially a greenback with hemp cones.

I put them in my bf'd '72 Pro about 6 months ago. I get at least a 4 hour band practive per week, gig every other month, and other assorted use out of this amp. I'll also run the speakers with my Newcomb PA head (5E3 from the '50s). Always with either my '52 RI or '69 Thinline RI.

Given that I play strictly telecasters, inherently bright guitars, I've found the darkness associated with these speakers to be a huge benefit. The prior set of speakers (Fender Utah & Eminance GB12) were decent enough, but not as loud and much more biting and "icepickish". The Cannibas Rex pair are efficient and loud, lots of depth and has big lows. Higher notes feel more round to my ears, but I've engeneered my guitar rig around that type of sound. Simple really, Tele with the bridge pickup and tone rolled back 10%-cable-amp, Reverb channel, bright off, input 1, vol. 6, High 7, Low 7, Reverb 3. No pedals.

I think that the hempcone speakers are great, but I can see how they might not be for every situation.

Inflammatory Rhetoric
Vol. Knob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i agree about being a bit dark

i had a crate V1512 with a ceramic tone tubby. although i loved the low end...it did take away from the highs. the crate was very gainy though and wasn't very good clean. it was harder to compare. but i found the amp a bit muddy, not sure if it was the speaker or not.
sandman72202 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I found the ceramic tubby bright whike the alnico was dark
I like the emi C-Rex

I can see using the alnico tub is certain setups, but it is a special application speaker.
dbeeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I play a tele through a Crate V1512 with a tone tubby. The speaker is quite heavy. I quite like the tones I'm getting with the amp guitar combination, but I haven't had a different speaker in this amp, so I can't comment on the difference between this and another directly, but, having played this guitar through several other amps, i will say that the v1512 is much darker, and it's likely that the tone tubby is the reason, but it works great for me.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I think that you need to marry the right speaker with the right amp. I have a Tone Tubby Alnico, 40w, 8ohm, H1E. I use it in a 1x12", pine, open backed cabinet. Like others havt said, hemp has an extremely long brake in period. I believe it to be a very full spectrumed, efficient (97 dB) speaker. I use it with my Allen Accomplice (Fender AB763, Deluxe Reverb type circuit). I do not like the way it sounds with my Tweed Deluxe. So as I said, it really needs to be matched with the right amp.

It produces a very smooth, warm, airy, three dimensional tone to my ears It is my position that people perceive them as dark sounding because many other speakers do not produce as broad frequencies at the same volume.

Take a look at this to see what I mean http://www.nutshellhifi.com/MLS/MLS6.html

My $.02

Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I couldn't agree more that you must match the speaker to the amp and also consider the guitars you play. The C-Rex (cone manufactured by Tone Tubby) works out great in my Blues Junior, which is an inherently bright amp (even more so after the Billm mods). The C-Rex warmed up my BJ nicely while preserving the Fender chime. However, I found two C-Rex in my TRRI worked out fine with my Tele, but was starving for highs when using humbuckers. Just recently I pulled out one C-Rex and put a Texas Heat in it's place which balances out the tone nicely.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have a reissue Bassman and was wondering if anyone here had tried the tonetubby two 12 cabinet with one......
mikesmistake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

TT's are way overpriced; and too dark.
Webers are much better in every respect. Plus, if you really want a hemp cone Weber also provides this option on some of their lines.
Personally I think there a several much better uses for hemp (rope, paper, food...etc.)

Old September 21st, 2011, 04:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, a zombie thread from '06...

I'm a convert. Tone Tubby has changed the cones over the past few years and also offers a couple of more flavors. I disagree that they're too expensive and too dark, though i think that may have been the case with the early issue cones.

The price of the ceramics are in line with a lot of small manufacturer speakers, as are the alnicos quite frankly. The San Rafael line is very affordable and sounds great.

I hear the "too dark" criticism and I wonder if I'm getting mine from some special source. I've used the 10" and 12" ceramics and all have had nice sparkle on the treble, nice mid presence, and a warm bass. Very efficient with nice headroom and cleans. It is a different tone and maybe not to everyone's taste....some people like shrill, ice picky speakers.

Also the hemp cones used in the Eminence versions, such as the Cannabis Rex, are made by Tone Tubby. So there's another option as well if you want to try the hemp tone at a lower price point.

They are super stiff out of the box and take some breaking in. But it's worth the wait as I think they sound fantastic, particularly the ceramic versions. I may try an alnico San Rafael soon just to see how they sound.

Bottom line, you'll never know if they're for you or not till YOU try them in YOUR amp.

OaklandA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have Tubby ceramics in a DR, Princeton, and 1/2 of a Vibrolux (along with a Naylor) and like them very much. I have tried a couple of Webers and just think the Tubby gives me something a little more.

edit: I use Tele only, usually on the bridge FYI...

Last edited by doublee; September 21st, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a 12" tone tubby Ceramic in my 5e3 deluxe and love it.....not dark at all.
Its rich and full of sweet overtones.
I noticed above most Ceramic users Like them....most alnico users say they are dark......hmmmm.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol. Knob View Post
They are'nt Tone Tubbys, but Eminence worked with Broun Soun to come up with the Cannibas Rex. They are the Eminance take on the ceramic 12s. Essentially a greenback with hemp cones.
I understand why you say this, but in the end the CRex will blow the Celestion GB's outa the water in every way. And there's no way I would ever lump Tone Tubby in the bag with Greenbacks, the Gb's are not even close.

(sorry, I don't like Celestions)

Last edited by soundchaser59; September 22nd, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
soundchaser59 is offline   Reply With Quote