fender pro reverb silverface - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2006, 01:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

fender pro reverb silverface

i just scored a silverface pro reverb fpr 150 bucks. works great and sounds good to boot . but i have been reading and something jsut aint right fender told me it is around a 1978 . they dated the transformers. 606 8 12 .but i have been reading that the 1978 pro reverbs have a solid state rectifier and a master volume. mine dont have either it it all tube and no master volume and it says 40 watts on the speaker jack. can some one enlighten me here . it has reverb and vibrato , 2 12inch fender utah speakers . 2 channel

Old March 1st, 2006, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

According to the Fender Amp Field Guide, they all had tube rectifiers. I'm guessing yours is a '76 or earlier.

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Does yours look anything like this?

This one is a '72. I've had it BF'd by a tech and I've loaded it with Eminence Cannibas Rex speakers.

Non Master, Tube Rectifier, 40 watts, etc.

Inflammatory Rhetoric

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah Fender didn't do away with the Rectififer on the Pro Reverb until it got brought back with Single 12" C12N speaker.

Old March 1st, 2006, 03:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Re: fender pro reverb silverface

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator19482005
i just scored a silverface pro reverb fpr 150 bucks. works great and sounds good to boot . but i have been reading and something jsut aint right fender told me it is around a 1978 . they dated the transformers. 606 8 12 .but i have been reading that the 1978 pro reverbs have a solid state rectifier and a master volume. mine dont have either it it all tube and no master volume and it says 40 watts on the speaker jack. can some one enlighten me here . it has reverb and vibrato , 2 12inch fender utah speakers . 2 channel
The 70 watt models that came out from about 78 had a SS rectifier and mid-range EQ as well as MV. However tube rectifier models with the master volume and no midrange EQ started appearing from about 74. I think you have got yourself a pre-MV at a great price. Does it have an aluminium strip around the edge of the speaker cloth? If yes, it is a 68-69. If not, it is a 70-73.

What is the serial number on the back panel? Greg Gagliano has a date-abase that might be useful.

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Re: Fender Pro Reverb Silverface

Hi guys. my brother has one of these; sure it's a 1980.
plays great and is absolute mint. his has the mv.
he payed alot more than 150. not sure what most guys
think of the pro from that year but i think it sounds great
and never anything done to it. still same tubes.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

mine has no master volume , no mid , it does have the silver ring around the grill cloth . the serial number is a12179. it look a like the one in the pic just with the stuff i mentioned above.fender told me it was a 78 cause of the date on the traany but when i read the date gudie on fender.com it says 8 would be 1968 . i think he got it messed up. it seems more like a 68 to me.

how would you get a nice over dirve like a brad paisley sound out of this amp. i ordered a digitech main squezze compressor and a digidelay also a ts5 tube screamer. what else would i need like a blue diver or something .or a hot plate?

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
mine has no master volume , no mid , it does have the silver ring around the grill cloth . the serial number is a12179. it look a like the one in the pic just with the stuff i mentioned above.fender told me it was a 78 cause of the date on the traany but when i read the date gudie on fender.com it says 8 would be 1968 . i think he got it messed up. it seems more like a 68 to me.

how would you get a nice over dirve like a brad paisley sound out of this amp. i ordered a digitech main squezze compressor and a digidelay also a ts5 tube screamer. what else would i need like a blue diver or something .or a hot plate?
Silver ring around the grille? You have a 68, not a 78. Fender has forgotten their legacy, they're clueless today.

Paisley plays Dr. Z amps. They're voiced completely different than a Fender. Don't get carried away with too much nonsense pedals. Learn to play and forget that crap. If you want Paisley tone, get a Z.

With that said, a 68 Pro Reverb can be a mighty fine amp with some massaging. Cap job, new tubes, BF mod, elbow grease to clean it up, and of course a pair of Weber speakers.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
R.I.P.
Poster Extraordinaire

My sweetie!!!

Gone over by our own Tim Swartz (thanks!).

Two Celestion G12H-80's, BF'd, and a cap job later, and both Tim and I thought that it was one of the best sounding Pro Reverbs we've ever heard.

It's a 1973 BTW.

[img][/img]

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
You done good. :)

Pros are great amps. I second Tremo's suggestion.

Is there a tube chart inside the back of the cab? Depending on whether its says AA165 or AB668 you have a blackface circuit if 65, or early silverface if 68 (not all that different).

Old March 4th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Pedals?

The other guitarist in my band also plays a Pro Reverb ('65), the only thing he uses is a Tube Screamer and his tone is astounding (despite his lack of telecasters). In my opinion, you don't need much in the way of pedals with these. Perhaps a clean boost do drive the preamp, an overdrive if you like overdrive, etc. Whatever you like to use for wah or vibro, if it's your thing. But at around 40 watts these things are not too loud, like a Twin. It's perfect for a small to medium sized gig, just dial it up to around 7 (volume) and control your grit from the guitars volume knob.

I gotta say you got an amazing deal on this amp dude. $150 is a steal. I've seen clean early silverface Pro Reverbs go for $900. I traded a case of beer for the pawn ticket on mine, so I spent only $300 on it before I lost it in a divorce and eventually bought it back from an Ex-Stepson for another $300. So in the end, $612.

My favorite pedal to use with my Pro Reverb is a Boss Loop Station. It also can be used as a boost.
Inflammatory Rhetoric

Old March 4th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Also, the real nice thing about 68s is, the earliest ones, are still AB763 BF inside. No mods needed, only normal service! Later ones, are of course, the 568 circuit, which definitely needs some help!

Old March 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
R.I.P.
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Later ones, are of course, the 568 circuit, which definitely needs some help!
Perhaps the MV, and UL transformer models. However my 73 sounded most excellent before the BF mod. The difference was very subtle. I did a lot of gigging with it before the mod. Great either way, although YMMV - of course.

Old March 5th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
KBR
Tele-Holic

PR amps

I like, and have owned a few Pro Reverb amps.
OPT is small, but if you want some JLO bottom, get a mojo Multi tap Bassman/Super Reverb OPT.

Tremo always gives good advice, I have known him since 1993.
Tim S is also Knowledgable (sp) Good!

IMHO,
KBR

Old March 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

It was a steal

Fantastic bargain at that sort of money.

Your set up sounds just like my '74 version. I gigged this hard till 1989 with no problems except the occasional broken wire in the reverb tank. Also dabbled at pedal steel for a while, and it was the business for that too.

I always felt it was a baby twin and just the job for anything but a really big gig. I still have mine, and it does a house amp just fine.

Old March 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

tubes ?

any tubes tht would give a little hair at low volumes . like around 3 or 4 vol.

also what kinda tone woud you get with a set of blue alnico . either clestion or weber?

Old March 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Former Member
Poster Extraordinaire

Re: tubes ?

Quote:
any tubes tht would give a little hair at low volumes . like around 3 or 4 vol.

also what kinda tone woud you get with a set of blue alnico . either clestion or weber?
If money is an issue I would go with Ted Weber Silver Bell and get them at 30 watts per speaker which are $170 a piece.

If money isn't an issue I would get the Celestion Gold Alnico that are 50 watts. I don't know what the price is going to be, but I believe it will probably be right around the $249.99 that Alnico blues are.

Old March 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

If you want the thing to start breaking up at 3 or 4, you want a radical reduction in headroom. So you'd want the cheeziest and wimpyest of the 6L6s, like maybe the Chinese coke bottle versions like Mesa used to use. Also to reduce headroom, you could try a lossier rectifier like a 5R4.

You could also go with a pair of JJ 6V6s and the 5R4.

Then go for cheapo inefficient speakers like 70s era Oxfarts or 70s era Eminence.

Old March 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

i want a little grit around 3 or 4 cause i play in my house. i dont have a band so i never gig. i dont turn it past 4 cause it gets loud . so if i can some how get some grit out of it that would be kool. cause cranked it is still clean .so i dont think a hot plate will work .

Old March 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

You really can't do too much to it to get it to dirty up on it's own. It's warm and clean pretty much all the way up unless you have it above 8.5 and are really digging in.

That being said, the Kendrick book on Hip Vintage Guitar Amps has a chapter covering tips to tweak your Pro Reverb. If I remember correctly, you should be able to try most of those tips on your model of PR. It won't give you a gainy amp by any stretch of the imagination, but it might give you a little more than what you got. There were some tips about pulling a tube from one stage and putting it in the tube slot in another stage...things like that. I would tell you, but I am on the road for the next few weeks and my book is at home. Sorry :-(

Maybe someone else here has a copy....

Closed Thread