Fender Blues Jr or Fender DRRI - Page 3 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm currently gigging four nights a week and....

an occasional "off night" as well and doing it all with a DRRI.. I don't see a need for another amp at all. My Deluxe even works well in some larger venues where we're not miked. I feel blessed as I got my DRRI used for only $500 with an old 12" JBL speaker in it and it's by far the best sounding amp I've ever had. I use a Boss ME-70 board in front of it and can dial in anything I need at any gig.........JH in Va.

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I completely agree that the deluxe is "twice (price)" the amp as a blues jr.....just not at jam volumes. When the volumes get a little louder, that is where the deluxe shines. My opinion is that the Vibrolux is a better sounding amp at lower volumes than the deluxe. When I need volume, I use the vibrolux. BUT at jams, the blues jr, my friends pro jr, OR THE DELUXE has never been embarrassed but none of us have left saying, "wow, that deluxe just blew the doors off the projr" simply hasn't happened. I love the deluxe. the vibrolux was cheaper and the 2x10 was the deal breaker for me. I believe in my heart of hearts that a pro jr, deluxe, DrZ RX jr, vibrolux, mesa express (which I won't even begin to describe the awesomeness of) or Fender princeton chorus solid state doesn't have their day in the sun in a "jam" situation so that the OP shouldn't be swayed if he is a Marshall gigging guy of the jam amp he gets. Hold on......try and get a Peavey Classic 20, my favorite jam amp that I sold in 1995 and still makes me cringe.
Sunrise Blues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Hah...this is beginning to look like the "Blues Jr Sucks?" thread, around the corner.

Obviously there are conflicting opinions. From what I'm reading, though, it sounds like your looking for some nice clean headroom that will provide a good pedal platform at a bass/drums/guitar jam volume. Between those two amps, that would be the DRRI in my book unless you decided to go for the mods on the BJr, which (for my tastes) brings the amp up a couple of notches.

There are other makers out there (Traynor makes nice stuff), but I don't think you'll look back with a DRRI. Especially at $600. Nice price. They're really nice amps.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

As I said , I have used Classic 30´s for a long time , and wouldnt dream about dissing small amps......My advice will always be , buy as much amp as you can afford and are willing to carry.....Our needs all differ , and I have read guys saying that they never turn up their Classic 30 on the clean channel beyond 4 , .....With my band , and a Classic 30 directly behind my head , on the dirty channel at 4 , I wouldnt even be able to hear my amp- seriously !

A Classic 30 can just about cut it for me with the band , at rehearshal or gigs , and I would be vary about buying an AC15 , BJ or even a Princeton.....Sure , I can mike it....sometimes , but not always. Besides that , I want to hear/feel my amp , not a damn monitor !

Big amps have knobs on them , thats why they dont have to play loud , and unless the people of this world have suddenly all been disabled , the weight of most amps can be managed by most of us...........Buy the biggest/most expensive amp you can !
viking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

viking - "buy as much amp as you can afford and are willing to carry" is the answer. The wisdom is clear. The classic 30 is only amp I have not had but I do not discriminate.
I stand down to, "buy the biggest/most expensive amp you can!" theory. Mine was the Custom Vibrolux Reverb. Can't go wrong. Good luck

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Sunrise Blues: the Mesa Express amps are flat out great.

Old January 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #47 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I think it would be the only amp I would keep if I had to sell off, the mesa 5:25. Very versatile. Loud. Heavy for a 1x10. I've heard great things about the mesa maverick and blue Angel but that is another topic altogether. Again, original poster can't go wrong for jams.

Old January 25th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I had a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb for about a month. Some folks seemed to like it, but I just could NOT bond with it. Cleans were OK, but the OD did not suit my taste at all. Sounded best with the contour engaged, but too metal. And the channel switching was useless because both channels shared a single EQ so there was NO way to adjust it so that both channels sounded decent. You had to adjust for just one of the other. But the real killer to me was that the reverb on it really sucked IMO.

DRRI is the amp I am leaning towards right now.

What do you guys think of the Hot Rod Deluxes? I had one for a day. I liked it. I got it in a trade with a fellow I know, but after a day he wanted to back out of the trade so I swapped him back. Then he wanted the guitar I had traded him back so I just sold it to him outright. I guess he just missed the amp. But I only had a day with it, so I did not get a good feel for it. Seems like the cleans were good, reverb was good and the OD was decent, but a little farty on the bottom.

sccloser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccloser View Post
I had a Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb for about a month. Some folks seemed to like it, but I just could NOT bond with it. Cleans were OK, but the OD did not suit my taste at all. Sounded best with the contour engaged, but too metal. And the channel switching was useless because both channels shared a single EQ so there was NO way to adjust it so that both channels sounded decent. You had to adjust for just one of the other. But the real killer to me was that the reverb on it really sucked IMO.

DRRI is the amp I am leaning towards right now.

What do you guys think of the Hot Rod Deluxes? I had one for a day. I liked it. I got it in a trade with a fellow I know, but after a day he wanted to back out of the trade so I swapped him back. Then he wanted the guitar I had traded him back so I just sold it to him outright. I guess he just missed the amp. But I only had a day with it, so I did not get a good feel for it. Seems like the cleans were good, reverb was good and the OD was decent, but a little farty on the bottom.
I specifically like the Express (and Lonestar) series because it reminds me of the Boogie series. The Mark V's supposed to be good, too…but I haven't checked it out.

I don't know about the Deluxes. Never played through one.

Old January 25th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #50 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

The deluxe over the hot rod deluxe. I wanted to like the hot rod deluxe but no matter what you do to it...it is not a deluxe reverb.....not a bad thing as the hot rod deluxe is good....but not the deluxe reverb

Old January 26th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #51 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

This was posted on the "Blues JRs Suck?" thread. I think it's spot on:

I own both, a 5E3 and a Blues Junior and I have found a lot of the "boxy" sounding complaints in the Blues Junior can be caused by the way the Master volume has been set by the user. If you run the Master wide open, leaving it there and use the Volume knob to set the volume just as you would on a non-Master Fender amp then it sounds way better and allows the amp to open up and breathe. Running the Master down chokes the tone and doesn't allow the amp to sound it's best. Billm mods help open the tone up and the Master works better then, but even my modded amp sounds way better if you crank that Master and leave it cranked. 2 different players can make the same Blues Junior amp sound very different simply in the way they dial up the knobs, I've heard it.