Kustom amps - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Kustom amps

My local guitar shop carries these and was wondering if anyone has some experience to share. The price seems right.

karnac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnac View Post
My local guitar shop carries these and was wondering if anyone has some experience to share. The price seems right.

http://www.kustom.com/product_type.aspx?TypeID=2&Tab=0

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Like everything, some good some bad. I picked up a Defender V50 when Hello Music had them as a close out. It's a great 2 channel Marshally type amp. Solidly built with a 12" V30. One of the best deals I have ever gotten on a amp.
xStonr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I like their Acoustic/Vocal Amps.

Nice feature set, great sound, good price.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Kustom quit building amps about 30 years ago.
Ed Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

This pic was taken less than 30 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp and Chair.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	209176  

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I like my Kustom V100 Defender. It doesn't get a lot of out of the house time because I'm too lazy to carry it but it does sound good. It doesn't hurt that I got it for about the same price as I would have had to pay to buy just the speakers it came with.
honeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Boyd View Post
Kustom quit building amps about 30 years ago.
There was a KG1 on the showroom floor. Or you implying that there not a made in America amp now.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's a Russian review but here is the sound of the $39 amp.

http://youtu.be/XZVLgDGSKXs

Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Ross/Kustom went bankrupt around 1980. I think of them as another stencil brand sort of like Hagstrom and all the classic American past piano company names that have been taken over by Chinese builders. The owners I think are from Ohio but the amplifier operation is in China.

They may be fine amps. Uncle Ted was using a Kustom Quad 100 DFX along with 2 Peavey 6505s.

The old stuff was great I had an old tuck and roll 200 head and a Kustom Lead III which was a killer amp.
Ed Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2013, 11:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I like their "Coupe" series of combo amps, the single 12 is the Coupe 36 and 2x12 is a Coupe 72....I think. Anyway, I've plugged into both of them and they are impressive.

They are designed by James Brown, same guy that designed the newer Peavey Classic series amps. He went from Peavey over to Kustom. I have no idea if these amps are still made. The have the "boost" switch that the Peavey Classics have except that the Boost switch is also on the foot pedal, which makes a lot of sense. The reverb setup on these Kustoms are better than the Peavey Classic too, IMO.

I know the Coupes aren't what you're looking for Karnac, but when you get settled down from traveling, these would be worth taking a look at, being they'd be good for playing Blues. They're a little price-E-er than the Peavey Classics, IIRC. A little surprising being that the Peavey Classics are still MIA.

Regarding the Kustom amps you're looking at, I've never tried one out.....

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Lloyds, one of the small local guitar shops, has Kustom, Marshall, Sundown, and a few others.
When I stopped in he showed me the little KG1 10 watt amp, it's cheap and small.

http://www.lloydsguitars.com/

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:

The old stuff was great I had an old tuck and roll 200 head and a Kustom Lead III which was a killer amp.
Yeah, they were amazing when they first came out. I'd been a Fender Amp guy, but these Kustoms with padded tucked and rolled metal flake Naugahide, almost full-stack size, and brass balls to spare, just blew me away. I don't know if the modern stuff has any relation to that generation of amps at all, or not.
R. Stratenstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Lloyds, one of the small local guitar shops, has Kustom, Marshall, Sundown, and a few others.
Did they have a new Marshall MG to try out?

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Ross/Kustom went bankrupt around 1980. I think of them as another stencil brand sort of like Hagstrom and all the classic American past piano company names that have been taken over by Chinese builders. The owners I think are from Ohio but the amplifier operation is in China. They may be fine amps. Uncle Ted was using a Kustom Quad 100 DFX along with 2 Peavey 6505s. The old stuff was great I had an old tuck and roll 200 head and a Kustom Lead III which was a killer amp.
The would make perfect sense since most reviews on YouTube are Asian videos. The owner of the guitar shop did mention built over seas. An original tuck n roll covered amp sounds cool.

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dep View Post
Did they have a new Marshall MG to try out?
I didn't see the new ones but he had a MG15 gold faced one and some newer heads. Actually I just emailed him to see what he has in new before I drive 35 miles. I will probably order it from him regardless even if it's a bit more than the big stores.

Old December 4th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
The would make perfect sense since most reviews on YouTube are Asian videos.
That's a dead giveaway, aint it ?

Quote:
I didn't see the new ones but he had a MG15 gold faced one and some newer heads. Actually I just emailed him to see what he has in new before I drive 35 miles. I will probably order it from him regardless even if it's a bit more than the big stores.
I respect your consideration to buy from your local small business people whenever possible. Small businesses are big part of keeping our town's individuality and character. Good man! Maybe you could try a new Marshall MG out at GC and then if you like it, order one from your local music store. GC will still.....somehow manage to stay in business.

Old December 4th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I would of bought my guitar there but my wife got me one as a present online. When I had my guitar set up there and a new set of 10's put on, there was some really nice used guitars and carried some brands I never heard of. Guitar Center is the place I will be going, it's 50 miles away. So this is why I am still on the forums asking questions about stuff LOL. I will get there sooner than later.

Old December 4th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of the Kustom KG 10 watt practice amps and I have a mid 90's version of the same amp as well. I got the newer one for free because GC screwed up the sale and thought giving me a $9.99 amp was going to make me happy. The mid 90's one, dad paid real money for.

They are what they are, inexpensive amps. If you buy one for what it is, you wont have any issues. If you are looking for unicorns and pegasuses shooting from it, you will be highly disappointed.

I have no shame in rocking out my little Kustom practice amps. I even Kustomized (eh see what I did there!?) the KG one for the fun of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kustom KGA10 Finished.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	209221  

Old December 4th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan of Kustom Amps.

Ten years ago, when I was teaching at a local music store, I had a chance to try all of their amps; Kustom, Marshall, Fender, Peavey. In side by side comparisons, I thought that the Kustoms sounded the best.

I bought a KG10, that I've donated to church. Ten years later, it's still working, without so much as a dirty Pot.

The American made, James Brown designed, '36 Coupe, is my all time favorite amp. Since getting the Coupe, I have sold my Blackface Bandmaster, and Musicman RD50112. They were my main amps for over 25 years. I've also owned an early Tweed Deluxe. With a speaker change, I can dial-up Tweed, Blackface and Marshall sounds. I have also owned a '72 Hardtop head. I've never had a problem, with either amp.

The newer, Chineese made Defenders, are also pretty nice amps. I have owned a Defender V15, for about 3 years. The amp comes with a good Celestion speaker. The tubes were the only thing that were in need of upgrades. The only problem that I am aware of, with these amps, is the Bass Response switch. When mine got dirty, I was able to clean it by switching it back and forth, a couple of times. Others have returned their's to Kustom, for a replacement.

Chicago Slim is offline   Reply With Quote