68 Princeton reverb reissue - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

68 Princeton reverb reissue

I'm thinking of purchasing the above amp. Can anyone give me an idea how it will compare to my 65 deluxe reverb reissue. It has less wattage and different speaker....how will that affect breakup.....I hoping to achieve breakup at lower volume. With my 65 drri I rarely take the volume above 4 or 5 so I feel I'm not really pushing the tubes for that natural non pedal break up.....any input would be helpful

Latrella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Princetons generally break up sooner than the Deluxes. I think you count on more grind sooner.

Old November 1st, 2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It is NOT a reissue. It's name is 68 "Custom" Princeton Reverb. It is basicly a PR Reissue that has been modified to break up at lower volumes, exactly what you are looking for. It also has a Celestion speaker.
figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
It is NOT a reissue. It's name is 68 "Custom" Princeton Reverb. It is basicly a PR Reissue that has been modified to break up at lower volumes, exactly what you are looking for. It also has a Celestion speaker.

Fender's decision to include the year in the name of these amps is really causing a lot of confusion!

Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

In general it will be cleaner than your DRRI, clearer in tone. It will stay cleaner a little farther up the volume dial than the DRRI but at a certain point 6-8 depending on the amp, will get very distorted and past that point is almost unusable because the bass notes just distort too much. I think having a Princeton and a DRRI is the perfect combination of recording amp and live amp. They cover a lot of ground sound wise between the two and almost anything you would need for recording except maybe adding a VOX AC15C1 or a small Marshall to cover all the tone sounds out there except hi gain.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
Fender's decision to include the year in the name of these amps is really causing a lot of confusion!
Fender...confusion? What???
E5RSY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
In general it will be cleaner than your DRRI, clearer in tone. It will stay cleaner a little farther up the volume dial than the DRRI but at a certain point 6-8 depending on the amp, will get very distorted and past that point is almost unusable because the bass notes just distort too much. I think having a Princeton and a DRRI is the perfect combination of recording amp and live amp. They cover a lot of ground sound wise between the two and almost anything you would need for recording except maybe adding a VOX AC15C1 or a small Marshall to cover all the tone sounds out there except hi gain.
Actually, the new '68 Customs (they aren't being marketed as reissues) are designed to break up sooner, not later, than '65 RIs. In this regard, they are completely different from the original silverface amps. Here's a good video demonstration of the '68 Custom Princeton Reverb.

jbdrumbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
raf
Tele-Afflicted

I've been wanting one of these, but after seeing the video I am not sure I like the break up. I may like the drri better??

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I can tell you I'm trading my 68 CPR for a 74 pr in a couple of days. The 68 CPR isn't bad but I recently got to compare it to the real deal and it just doesn't quite cut it when put up against a real silverface pr.

Since they're around the same price I say go for the vintage
Buffalo0993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like an odd trade for the other guy
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waparker4 View Post
Seems like an odd trade for the other guy
It's a guitar store, I'll have to put a little money down with it. I just made a mistake though and I'll have to pay a little for it. It was a good amp but this 74 is a great amp
Buffalo0993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf View Post
I've been wanting one of these, but after seeing the video I am not sure I like the break up. I may like the drri better??
I agree. By moving the break up point down the dial, it almost makes the amp unusable for live use.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I modded my actual '68 Princeton Rvb for more headroom, not less.

--Jeff Beck
hudpucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I tried one out today and was very disappointed. It breaks up much earlier than the blackface reissue and I like to have enough clean headroom. It also has too much bass. I tuned the bass control all the way down and it was still too much. PR's have a lot of bass anyway, why woud you make one with more? I was using a guitar with humbuckers but I can tell even with single coils, it would still have too much bass for me. Maybe part of the problem is it's stock Celestion speaker? I think it would sound better with a cleaner sounding Jensen type speaker.
figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
I tried one out today and was very disappointed. It breaks up much earlier than the blackface reissue and I like to have enough clean headroom. It also has too much bass. I tuned the bass control all the way down and it was still too much. PR's have a lot of bass anyway, why woud you make one with more? I was using a guitar with humbuckers but I can tell even with single coils, it would still have too much bass for me. Maybe part of the problem is it's stock Celestion speaker? I think it would sound better with a cleaner sounding Jensen type speaker.

That's what the RI series is for - classic blackface clean headroom.

I like the fact that Fender is now offering a tweed type tone stack amp (never mind the attractive SF cosmetics), with reverb on both channels in the Deluxe and Twin, in addition to the RI line. This makes a lot more sense than simply offering the same circuit with different cosmetics.

Last edited by jbdrumbo; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
jbdrumbo is offline   Reply With Quote