NEW AMP COMING: Traynor YBA1-MOD1 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

NEW AMP COMING: Traynor YBA1-MOD1

Hey gang. Just a bit of news for all of those who were interested in the Traynor YBA-1 50th anniversary model. These amps were limited to a run of 100 and sadly, I missed out.

http://traynoramps.com/legacy/discon.../product/yba-1

...but there's a bit of good news. I contacted the good people at Traynor and received a (lightning fast!) response from Traynor/Yorkville:
Yes, we're going to have something called the YBA1-MOD1 this fall. It will be on the website by the end of the month. No details are available just yet.

Regards

Mike

For those who were not already aware, the original YBA-1 is an absolute BEAST of an amp. Hand wired and made in Canada, they are an INCREDIBLE sound and platform for mods. Lots of info out there on them so I won't go into further detail here.

I suspect that like all Traynor products, the new YBA1-MOD1 will be made in Canada. To be clear, the YBA 50th was constructed via PCB, but I'll leave it up to others to debate the merits, one way or the other.

the bone reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Was that the canadian plexi?

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I just saw one of these at my local shop, the guy there said it just came in this week. I was trying to find some more information on it and came across this thread.

Personally, I was really impressed with the 40w, 20w, 5w, 1w and 0.1w power selector.

Has anyone given it a rip yet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG3320.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	202148  
renatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Those power options alone make it all kinds of awesome
wtk0315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Long & McQuade have it listed at $649.00.
Glen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

My #1 gigging amp was a YBA-1 back in the day. Wish I still had it.

Old October 31st, 2013, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just bought one of these last week with the matching 2x12 vertical cab. The attenuator feature is excellent, even at 0.1 watts it sounds incredible. It takes pedals well and responds to the controls on the guitar wonderfully. Very simple to use, and being able to run the 2 channels in parallel or series make it very versatile.
Loving it so far...here is a pic of the beast.

Stonehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Nice looking amp.

What does the low end extender do ?

I looked at the schematic and I am very confused. The low extender pot looks like the variable resistor to ground (mid-range control) in a classical marshall/fender TMB stack.
The high-end extender is in the feedback loop from the OT feeding back into the long tail PI and resembles something like a presence control in a marshall or fender amp.

Lastly the amp has 417 volt on the plate with a 82f main filter cap, but a large 5 watt 8.2K screen dropper which sets the screen voltage at idle at 352V with a small 10f screen filter. The 8.2K is large to filter of a bit of ripple current but the 65V drop at idle (8mA total screen current) should start to drop even more when the amp is being played at volume. Double the total screen current to 16mA and you have a 130V drop to 287V screen over the 8.2K resistor.
The maximum screen current pr tube is 15mA which at 30mA for a pair would drop the screen voltage to 171V. I thought that this would drop a lot of output.
Maybe the 1K screen resistors and the small 10f screen capacitor limits available screen current.
Normally i see a screen choke that filters ripple current and drop much less voltage with a small resistance of ~ 500 ohm. A vintage 50 watt marshalls have a screen choke.
barfoden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehead View Post
I just bought one of these last week with the matching 2x12 vertical cab. The attenuator feature is excellent, even at 0.1 watts it sounds incredible. It takes pedals well and responds to the controls on the guitar wonderfully. Very simple to use, and being able to run the 2 channels in parallel or series make it very versatile.
Loving it so far...here is a pic of the beast.

Really wanted to get one of these amp..but i need more fender less marshall type sound so i ordered a Silverface DR . Love the 2x12 vertical and the small footprint, and i love the traynor sound. (I have a darkhorse that sounds amazing when pushed!)

Plus not many amps out there now look as sexy as this.....
J5
jammers5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2013, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Maybe they will reissue some YVC15 blues...They appear to be quite rare and highly regarded.

The power attenuator switching looks pretty bomb.

Side gripe: Why does the studio my Dad band jams at have only Marshall, Fender and Mesa?!?! Not that it's a bad thing, but I just wish they had some Traynor amps to mess with.

Old November 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfoden View Post
Nice looking amp.

What does the low end extender do ?

I looked at the schematic and I am very confused. The low extender pot looks like the variable resistor to ground (mid-range control) in a classical marshall/fender TMB stack.
The high-end extender is in the feedback loop from the OT feeding back into the long tail PI and resembles something like a presence control in a marshall or fender amp.
Range Extender, Low=midrange High=Presence
Stonehead is offline   Reply With Quote