Question on a '74 Fender Super Reverb - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old August 19th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Question on a '74 Fender Super Reverb

Hey guys

Been trolling this forum for a few years now & love the community for it's helpfulness & respect across the board.

I'm hoping someone can help me shed some light on an issue on an amp I just got in trade through Kijiji.

I just picked up a '74 Fender Super Reverb (Certainly looks to be a silverface to my inexperienced eyes before that question gets asked ;p). Everything looks original except it looks like the tubes may have been replaced not too long ago. The amp itself is unbelievably clean. Came with casters & cover and by the looks of things that amp lived under the cover when not in use. This thing cosmetically looks pristine!

I do have a problem however, Channel 1, neither of the inputs produces any sound at all. Channel 2 (The reverb channel), input one is loud clean and sparkly as would be expected. Input 2 just as good but a little quieter.

I've been reading on forums all over that a common practice was to remove V1 (the tube) to beef up the sound on the reverb channel. It appears like this may have been done on this amp as the 1st tube doesn't seem to be in there at all.

My question is, is this what is causing channel 1 not to have any output at all?

Aside from this one issue, everything works perfectly. The amp is quiet with no hum, all of the pots are pristine & have no crackle at all.... I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be though.

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Also... just curious to what everyone would feel fair market value of this amp is at this point.

kfegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 74 Super Reverb. Lets see input two is always quiter than input one about 6dbs.

There should be 6 small tubes in it. If there's only 5 and the one on the end is missing (V-1)then the norm channel won't work.
It's a common "mod" gives a little more gain on the other channel and most people only use one anyway.

Here's a little info on Fender pre amp tubes. https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/...ecommendations
BobbyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

kfegan wrote: "Also... just curious to what everyone would feel fair market value of this amp is at this point. "

Too little info.....we need pics of the amp, the interior of the chassis, transfromer codes, speaker codes.....originality is very important when considering value of these vintage amps.

Welcome to the board.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome and congrats on the amp.
I agree with both the above answers, in case you want more of a concensus.
telex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

To clarify--there should be 6 small tubes and 3 larger ones--9 total.
Although you don't need a tube in V1 if you only use the vibrato channel, V1 is a useful place to store a spare 12AX7 tube in case the one in V2 goes out.
Input 2 is always quieter than input 1--originally intended for microphones. Some people prefer the input 2 tone.
If you want to find out if channel one is working you can take the tube out of v2 (second tube from the right--first from the right if V1 is missing, and put it into the V1 socket--first socket on the right (all directions looking at amp from the back.) Now the vibrato channel won't work but the normal channel should work.
old goat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Make sure you have the "tone" controls turned up. If you have them turned down to 1 you've got zilch volume.

Old August 19th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Clean early to mid 70s Super Reverb amps in good working condition seem to be selling for around $800 give or take a bit, they are great amps but everyone wants the small amps these days, Princeton, Deluxe and Vibrolux Reverbs sell for a lot more.

Tough to beat that Fender tone out of 4-10s!

And I'll echo what the other guys say, check your first preamp tube, make sure the tone controls are turned up, if that ain't the problem time for a tech to check it out, but I'd bet on a bad tube.
Ringo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the response guys.

Ok, as requested here's some pics.

I'm not really sure what you needed me to take so I tried to get as much of the components & serial numbers as I could.

Quote:
There should be 6 small tubes in it. If there's only 5 and the one on the end is missing (V-1)then the norm channel won't work.
It's a common "mod" gives a little more gain on the other channel and most people only use one anyway.
That's what I had read as well. I don't know how well you can see in the photos but V-1 is DEFINITELY not in the tube, so I guess that's what's happened here.

Any more input/opinions would be great. Thanks guys.

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hmmm... for some reason my pics didn't show up from my dropbox link :/.... is there anyway to upload the photos here?

[Edit] nvm... I think I found it :)

Like I said, opinions/thoughts etc all welcome :)

Old August 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yea just put a 12ax7 in V1 and you should have sound, otherwise everyone on this forum has worked on any old fender tube amp before, and can help you diagnose your problem.
Ike286 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Nice looking amp, kfegan....I see 1974 dates on speakers and trannies, so I would say you have a '74. Those speakers are the much desired CTS Alnico's. Kudos.
If you take the tube out of the V2...second from the right as you look at the back of the amp...and put it in V1..first on the right looking at the back, that will tell you if a tube in that spot will make that channel work. V1 is the preamp for the Normal Ch, V2 is the preamp for the Vuibrato channel.
Ime, though, even if a tube makes that channel work, that amp may still need work. If the electrolytic capacitors are orignal, then the amp doesn't make the sounds it would/should with fresh caps in it, ime. Old caps jsut don't get the job done. I advise a good general service and assessment by an experienced tech for a newly acquired amp. Analogy....would you buy a 1974 Cadillac and take off on a cross country trip without a good check of belts, hoses, etc???...even though the car seems to 'run well'.???
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Yup - looks just like my 74SFSR - and great that it has the CTS ALnico speakers. Big and heavy but very toneful amps. Take Wally's advice about getting it serviced.

Great score!

Old September 1st, 2013, 01:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the kudos & replies guys.

Wally, I couldn't agree more about the general service :) Just wanted to get some impressions from the expert eyes here.

The tone IS incredible... but I do find this beast a bit hard to tame.

Is there any suggestions on some kind of attenuator or something that I can get the break up I'm looking for without having every neighbour for 4 blocks mad at me? lol