Tone King Imperial..oh my! - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old July 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Tone King Imperial..oh my!

Saving for a Carr Rambler and I have to go and play through one of these. A bit cheaper too. Anyone own and care to share an opinion?

Old July 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I just traded my Tone King Falcon and extras for one. She's about three months old and is awesome! I've only had it for a few days and I'm still experimenting, but will share my thoughts so far.

Pristine cleans on the rhythm channel. However, with the stock tubes and speaker it has a bit of a hard edge on the highs. I installed all RCA grey plates and it helped allot, but it might be just a little too thin sounding. I'll continue to roll tubes until I get it figured out.

I have a Weber 12F150 and Signature 12 Alnico on hand so I'm sure I'll roll speakers at some point as well. However, even though the highs sting a little with the stock speaker it also very fast and articulate and that's how a good clean amp should be. I keep the treble and bass around five and just roll back the treble on my guitars, especially my Tele.

The lead channel is awesome too. The highs are similar to the rhythm channel, but otherwise it's totally different. The more the mid bite is turned up the grittier it gets. Or keep the bite down and go from blackface clean to tweed.

The reverb and tremolo are also very good. The tremolo is even smoother than my SR.

I'll fool with it until I get things the way I like, but bottom line; this is a really great amp. I don't normally keep anything too long, but this amp will be the exception.

Old July 30th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just got a Imperial 20th Ann with the Creamback. I do not hear any problem with the treble. Sounds unbelievably smooth with my strat. The neck, middle, and bridge pickups sound very different. Never heard that much dif in any other amp.
Sbax is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old July 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks guys. If you have played through a Carr Rambler how would you compare?

Old July 31st, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booman View Post
I personally do not own either. However I have friends who do own a rambler and a tone king. Both sound great and appear to be well made. I would say you can't go wrong with either.
BiggerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 12:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booman View Post
I have played both, and at one time contemplated getting one or the other. I ended up with a Swart AST Master MKII 112 combo, but that's just me.

Both of them are excellent amps, built by two of the finest builders in the business. Carr uses true point to point, and Tone King uses either printed circuit board or turret board. I believe the turret board version is more money (which would make sense) but maybe someone else can chime in and clarify that. Of the two, I was partial to the Rambler, and if my memory serves me right, it was not as bright as the Tone King and that is what I liked about it.

If you have a bad back, the Tone King will blow your mind at how light it is. If you are in the market for an amp worth that kind of money, and you like both of those amps, why not check out the Carr Viceroy, another really good amp by Carr. I'm surprised Getbent hasn't chimed in, he has owned the Imperial for years and loves it.

Last edited by Jared Purdy; July 31st, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Jared Purdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I'm dreaming of either an Imperial or the new Sky King. I'd have to do some gear unloading, but how many amps do I really need?

Old July 31st, 2013, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Well, one more of course.

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Telefied

A few years ago, I narrowed the field to the carr rambler and the TK Imperial. I picked the Imperial. I've been super happy. It is an amp I keep finding sounds in... it is a 'double deluxe' in the sense that it is a tweed, click a switch, it is a black face.

it has a knob that allows you to bring in some marshally type sounds.... the tremelo is amazing and deep and it has the best reverb I've every heard.

For me, I've been able to sell of a bunch of amps and for gigs now it is TKI or TKI + SM57

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
?... the tremelo is amazing and deep and it has the best reverb I've every heard.
oh yeah. I never use tremolo but that sound is nothing that I've never heard before.
Sbax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddlinJim View Post
Well, one more of course.

BINGO!

I am thinking of a number. What is the magic number?

This many, of coarse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01_JB_HUTTO_SM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	191890  
slippin slider is offline   Reply With Quote