The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Amp advise needed

Hey guys, I was looking at purchasing a new (or used) practice amp and wondered what thoughts or input anyone might have on the one below. I have a 100-watt Marshall TSL-122 2x12 combo which is just too loud for my condo. I'm looking for something which would give me a similar sound, without ticking off the neighbors. I'll be playing strats, teles, and of course my gibson les paul through it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSL15C/

JK1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The difference in volume between 15 watts & 100 watts is not that drastic. By 3 on the dial, 15 watts are already too damn' loud for the house

My input is to go small, relatively cheap transistor amps - (Yamaha THR etc...), & not chase the impossible holy grail of tube blasting at moderate house volume.

I am perfectly happy with a Super Reverb at +/- ONE... & I get an angelic tone at 2am in the morning, just by cranking bass & reverb, & playing that bridge pickup...I can do that for hours, & compensate for compression with my right hand, by really digging...

However if you think you want crunch & stuff at such levels, forget tubes, get something like these new modelers...natural tube crunch is very hard to achieve at the levels described...& is just not worth the hassle.
homesick345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
2014 BUILD CHALLENGER
Friend of Leo's

If you want Marshall kind of feel go for the Blackstar HT-1. 1 Watts, sounds killer and has a headphone jack. I have the HT-5 and love it, its a loud 5 watter so I would suggest the 1 and a pair of nice headphones if you have thin walls.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up a used Tech 21 Trademark 10. They are discontinued now but you can still get the Trademark 30 which is identical save for higher output. These are great combos. Solid State, they model 3 amp styles with Speaker options too. They have good headphone out (and XLR for desk input!). You might come across these more often in the US. I understand that they are pretty much the Sansamp pedal in amp form. Link below -

http://www.tech21nyc.com/archive/trademark10.html

I use a couple of Pathfinder 15r's too and they are v. good practise amps. But to dial in heavier sounds at low volume the Tech 21 is a diamond. And they only weigh 14 lbs.
simonsp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. Very good info. Any thoughts on the Marshall "MG" series amps? Tried a couple at local GC a while back and sounded pretty good. Kinda wanted to stay away from all the modeling-type amps, but ya never know. Thoughts on the MG's???
JK1964 is offline   Reply With Quote