Blackface Fender Twin - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 13th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Blackface Fender Twin

Hi Guys, I cannot get the seller (elderly gent) to access the tranny/speaker codes on a blackface twin that is for sale but I seem to remember something about the words Fender Elec. Inst. Co. under the amp name indicating a certain era. Maybe before or after CBS. Please inform me if those words are significant.
Thanks!

KRZ4TELE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Go here for what's to know about vitnage FEnders.

http://www.superchamp.dk/papers/dati..._tube_amps.htm

That 'Fender Elec. Inst.'---FEI--indicates pre-CBS. BF FAceplates from the CBS era...started in Jan 1965....read Fender Musical Instruments---FMI-- in that spot. The tube chart in that amp should have stamped dates codes reading 'M-', 'N-', or possible early 'O-'.....M would indicate 1963 and would be a very rare amp, N is 1964 while O would indicate 1965. A 1965 amp coudl possibly have a FEI plate as a transition oddity. NOte: the second letter of those dates codes would indicate the month....A = January,
B = FEb, etc.
Teh transformer codes are visible from the back of the amp as are the speaker codes unless the speaker codes are covered by thelabels on thespeakers. Ime, the tranny codes are not enough info for me unless Iknow the amp and or the owner already. I have seen exc cond BF amps with all codes that are visible on the outside look like they were top dollar amps. When the chassis was pulled, both amps showed massive gutting...all components on the boards were changed as were all of the pots on the front panel. This reduces value by at least 50% from exc orign cond values, imho.
Caveat emprtor.
Wally is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

WOW! Thanks for the the killer link Wally! Everything is there!
KRZ4TELE is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Buy it buy it! Lol
andyfromdenver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Fender Electric Instruments on a Blackface usually indicates 1964. Though I have an early 65 Vibro Champ with the 64 cosmetics, so it's just a general rule with exceptions.
LKB3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKB3rd View Post
Fender Electric Instruments on a Blackface usually indicates 1964. Though I have an early 65 Vibro Champ with the 64 cosmetics, so it's just a general rule with exceptions.
And there are some 1963 BF FEnders with the FEI panels. There are definitely more pre-CBS '64 FEnders than '63's, though, by far.
Wally is online now   Reply With Quote