Blackface Super Reverb Legit? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 4th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Blackface Super Reverb Legit?

Does this look like it is all original except for what he said he had done? Does this amp look too clean for the price?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3564193964.html

Tle4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

All of the speakers are not the same. I noticed the recap job. It looks pretty straight up and would be a good players amp. The changes alone eliminate it from being a collectors amp.
Middleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Is that a decent price for a players blackface super or should I try to get it down some? I may have another amp sold and I was looking into replacing it with a super.... I like that it has been serviced and that saves a couple bucks down the road.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think its a bit high. Checking on ebay there are many in the $900 range.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Chinese copy
Teletubbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Looks correct. It has had a cap job, looks good inside. Speakers are likely not original.
BiggerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

About the only thing I noticed that was already brought up was the artificial center tap on the pilot light. Not stock blackface thing most likely just a little mod to try to reduce hum but check the power transformer numbers just to make sure it's original.
The other nitpicky thing is the size of the new cathoad bypass caps on the board they seem big for 25-25s not the brand I use so that could be it.
Oh and there's still one old 25-25 on the board.

Just nitpicky suff to use to get that price down. Also if you can drive over and play the thing that to me is worth alot vs. one you buy unseen and have shipped in.

Just looking again the grill cloth is alot cleaner looking than my blackface amps. Could be it's just that clean.

Here's how I would deal on it. I go with the 1,500 hundred in cash, check it out very close pointing out every change, offer 600 or 700 huundred. . . . . . then end up just paying full price cause I'd sure like to have a BFSR.
(I'm not all good at dealing when I want something)
BobbyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Get the transformer codes, make sure they are original.
If all transformers are original, the price is on the high side.
If any trannys have been changed it's way too high.
telex76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleman View Post
I think its a bit high. Checking on ebay there are many in the $900 range.
$900 for a BFSR? Seems low to me. SF for sure, but BF, even slightly modded, I would think that a steal.
Singin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Supers have been a little slow to sell for a while, it seems to me. Many people are looking for a Deluxe or a Princeton, as they are a lot more manageable weight- and volume-wise. I think $900 is probably the top of the range for that amp.
dan1952 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1952 View Post
Supers have been a little slow to sell for a while, it seems to me. Many people are looking for a Deluxe or a Princeton, as they are a lot more manageable weight- and volume-wise. I think $900 is probably the top of the range for that amp.
Not in PA.... Average price for a Silverface Super is around $1000. The drip edge SFSR may get a little more. I have seen for less if you are patient and keep an eye out on the used market

Old March 5th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I know of 2 completely stock 65s selling for that money. That have pristine cosmetics.

I think above a grand your spending high. That being said if you like the amp and would never sell it spending a little extra is a wash. If it were me and I was in love Id spend over a grand but truth be told I'm a twin reverb kind of guy so odds are I wouldn't.

I'm of the opinion that if its great the money spent is easily forgotten.

Do I remember what I spent for my most played gear? For the most part not really. I however remember exactly how much I wasted on pieces of gear I don't care for and don't play. My first American fender was a dog I remember wasting that 700 dollars how much I spent on my first guild d35 is long gone in my memory.

Sometimes searching for a deal is not as fruitful as one would assume.

I also assume with vintage amps I'm gonna be sinking a few bucks into a player amp just to get it right. And reliable for gigging.
willspear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Where in the hell are original BFSR amps selling for under a grand? I would buy every one. Even BF vibro champs are going for close to that now. The only BF Supers I see on Ebay or elsewhere for 1k or less are reissues. The real ones are all priced at 2k. They might not sell at 2k but they will be closer to 2 than 1. I just sold a 67 that had a cap job, original speakers, foot switch etc. for $1800. The amp in question, is worth what someone is willing to pay. If it is healthy,and the transformers are original the price doesn't seem that far off to me.
petedv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedv View Post
Where in the hell are original BFSR amps selling for under a grand? I would buy every one. Even BF vibro champs are going for close to that now. The only BF Supers I see on Ebay or elsewhere for 1k or less are reissues. The real ones are all priced at 2k. They might not sell at 2k but they will be closer to 2 than 1. I just sold a 67 that had a cap job, original speakers, foot switch etc. for $1800. The amp in question, is worth what someone is willing to pay. If it is healthy,and the transformers are original the price doesn't seem that far off to me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-68-F...item257b719d9f Close but I saw a couple up there a few days ago but they go quick.

Do a search on recent sold amps. Here is one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Super...item337eb04a6b

Old March 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I don't see anything for under a grand there, but I didn't see that 65 when it was listed for $1095. It was listed for 1300 at first. If I had, it would be sitting here with me now. That first one is a silverface even with the drip edge and they want 1200 for it. That makes the OP's amp seem more reasonable if he negotiates a little.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by petedv View Post
I don't see anything for under a grand there, but I didn't see that 65 when it was listed for $1095. It was listed for 1300 at first. If I had, it would be sitting here with me now. That first one is a silverface even with the drip edge and they want 1200 for it. That makes the OP's amp seem more reasonable if he negotiates a little.
If you read the description it's a black face with silver face cosmetics. Possibly from the CBS era transition but also it could be a Frankenstein build.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

That's a starting bid on that 68' Buy it now 1600.00 with no best offer.. Where I live in Oregon ..Just down from Eugene you just don't see them up for sale much.. and when you do they are upwards of 1800.00 I got my 66' for 1300.00 and I never looked back.. Speakers are non original.,Blond tolex with wheat grill cloth I fell in love first time I saw it!! To me it was just what I wanted! That was enough.. just look it over..you'll know!!
luthravin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I saw a really early silverface SR at Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago. It was a drip edge with the black lines on the front panel. I don't know how original it was or wasn't, but it looked very clean for $900. I wanted it.

Old March 5th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
If you read the description it's a black face with silver face cosmetics. Possibly from the CBS era transition but also it could be a Frankenstein build.
I read the description, and I know about the transition era drip edge, black line, silverface thing. I own a couple of the smaller ones. They are still silverface amps, and always will be in terms of value compared to an original BF. I think that is a debate best left for another thread. To the OP, like an earlier poster said, go play it with $1500 in your pocket. If you like it a lot, offer him $900. If throws you out, tell him you were just kidding and give him the $1500. I bet you can get your money back out of it if you have to.

Old March 6th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
All of the speakers are not the same. I noticed the recap job. It looks pretty straight up and would be a good players amp. The changes alone eliminate it from being a collectors amp.
I couldn't disagree more. Speakers and caps wear out and need to be replaced. If the amp is original otherwise it most certainly is collectible.
The guy's asking price is very reasonable if the amp is in fact otherwise all original.

Middleman, I understand that there are a small number of collectors out there that want their amps to have the original leaky caps and a two pronged power cord and untouched speakers. The majority of collectors are players like ourselves that want a good sounding amp as close to original as reasonably possible. An amp does not have to be 100% original to still be collectible.