Vox valvatronix 120+ or Marshall mg102cfx - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Vox valvatronix 120+ or Marshall mg102cfx

The Marshall is 100 watts and the vox is 120 watts. Will either of them power over drums and be able to play a medium sized gig?
The vox has tubes in it but is mainly a modeling amp and the Marshall is a tube state i think. Both are 599.99.

FenderFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderFan47 View Post
The Marshall is 100 watts and the vox is 120 watts. Will either of them power over drums and be able to play a medium sized gig?
The vox has tubes in it but is mainly a modeling amp and the Marshall is a tube state i think. Both are 599.99.
I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying the Vox would work. Not sure about that Marshall.
Leep Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a Vox valvetronix ad15 and (although I hardly use it now) I was often surprised at how loud that little amp could be. It's only 15 watts but was still loud enough to be heard over a drummer with not so heavy hands. I know this isn't the amp you're currently looking at but if mine is any indication I would say you'll be heard quite well with a 120 watt version. I don't have any experience with the Marshall so I can't help you there but the Vox sounds pretty darn good. I upgraded to a tube amp now so I don't use it much but they are well built and priced right. I've had mine for almost nine years without any issues whatsoever. Good luck
teleprompted is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleprompted View Post
I have a Vox valvetronix ad15 and (although I hardly use it now) I was often surprised at how loud that little amp could be. It's only 15 watts but was still loud enough to be heard over a drummer with not so heavy hands. I know this isn't the amp you're currently looking at but if mine is any indication I would say you'll be heard quite well with a 120 watt version. I don't have any experience with the Marshall so I can't help you there but the Vox sounds pretty darn good. I upgraded to a tube amp now so I don't use it much but they are well built and priced right. I've had mine for almost nine years without any issues whatsoever. Good luck
But am i right with the tube part because i saw on musicians friend that it had tubes but it was a modeling amp
FenderFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ya mine has a single tube but this is no tube amp. It's a solid state amp and I think it uses a single tube in the Pre amp stage??? Not exactly sure. I'm someone will have a good explanation. It's a great ss amp. My favorite models are the tweed, Black 2x12, ac30, and boutique clean. Wasn't a fan of the Marshal models or numetal model. Sounded pretty good with my drive pedals.
teleprompted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleprompted View Post
Ya mine has a single tube but this is no tube amp. It's a solid state amp and I think it uses a single tube in the Pre amp stage??? Not exactly sure. I'm someone will have a good explanation. It's a great ss amp. My favorite models are the tweed, Black 2x12, ac30, and boutique clean. Wasn't a fan of the Marshal models or numetal model. Sounded pretty good with my drive pedals.
The Vox uses a single tube in the power amp stage, so it's the opposite of the typical hybrid amp. The usual hybrid amp has the tube in the preamp, and then is solid state in the output stage. With the Vox, the solid state and modelling are fed into the tube on the way out. I'm oversimplifying, but that's the basic difference.
tunegeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

For $600 I'd get a used Peavey Classic 50.

For a medium sized gig, you could go with a used Peavey Classic 30 or Peavey Delta blues, have a much superior amp and save $$ you can use for pedals or accessories.

You could get a Fender Mustang III or IV and save money. No need for pedals with those. You'd also get a 5 year warranty from Fender for a new one.

If you absolutely have to have the 120 watt VOX Valvetronix or the 100 w Marshall MG, I would most definitely go with the VOX. I've had a Valvetronix and it's capable of sounding very much like a tube amp on certain settings. You can store your settings, has onboard effects and a power selector on the back. I think it's 100 w, 50w and 20w.....IIRC.

The Marshall MG's sound like a more sterile solid state amp and the speakers may be the weakest link. Some cheap Chinese version of Celestians that sound pretty harsh when cranked up, from what I've heard. I haven't owned one.

The Marshall AVT Valvestate amps that came out a little over 10 years ago are a different story IMO. They do have a 12ax7 tube in the preamp stage and the clean channels on those a freaking great, IMO. Again, they need a speaker change for higher volume playing, but with a nice set of speakers, I think they're great and MUCH nicer sounding than the MG series. I'll go as far to say it sounds as good as Marshall's lower end all tube amp combos.

I got the Flag ship of the series, the Marshall AVT 275 used for $70 from a pawn shop about a year and a half ago. It's got two 75 power amps and runs in stereo between the 2 12" speakers.

I got it cheap because the chip that runs the distortion channels went bad. It was a common problem with that series when somebody would crank the distortion up all the way and play that way non stop. The chip couldn't handle the heat. No big deal because the clean channel is so good and it's a blast to run stereo pedals through it. Check your area to see if anybody's got one up for sale that you can pick up cheap. I'm a Marshall fan going back to the 1960's and I love this amp a lot more than I thought I would.

Too bad Marshall discontinued them. You used to be able to get them pretty cheap on EBAY all though it's been while since I've checked for one. They were heavily and unjustly criticized by the Marshall all tube purists which made the used value go down. That's fine with me!
Jim Dep is offline   Reply With Quote