Why doesn't my Deluxe Reverb Reissue sound anything like this guy's? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Why doesn't my Deluxe Reverb Reissue sound anything like this guy's?

I came across this clip because I've been frustrated by my '65 DRRI, and his sound is exactly what I'm looking for: Deluxe Reverb + Tele (sound starts at about 1:00)

At the beginning, he's using a DRRI (all stock), 60th Anniversary Flame Top tele (stock) and a Boss CS-3. I think the sound is amazing, absolutely crisp and clear, spanking and twanging beautifully.

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my sound isn't even coming close to his. There are some different variables. I have a DRRI that is about 6 years old. I'm playing a 2004 Fender '52 AVRI. And I'm using a Wampler Ego Compressor. I copied his settings on the DRRI and tried to dial in multiple tones on the Ego Compressor. My high ends sound pretty good, but my mids and low end tones are not clear AT ALL. There is nowhere near as much clarity and crispness as he is getting. It sounds rather muddy and lifeless.

Any advice of why I'm not getting close to that sound would be appreciated. Is it my specific model of Tele? The compressors? Could my DRRI need a tune-up or possibly new tubes (I'm not very knowledgeable about tube amps, this is my first one).

Just looking for a place to start before I swap out each individual piece of gear. Thanks!

cal34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe you need some new power tubes and/or rectifier and have the bias done. I'm digging the JJ 6V6s in my DRRI.

I'd try getting close without the compressor for now.. another set of variables ya know?

You could first try messing around with your pickup height.
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

He would probably sound like that through most anything. Even the most expensive amp and all the pedals can't make you good.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Baggadonitz View Post
He would probably sound like that through most anything. Even the most expensive amp and all the pedals can't make you good.
Ouch.

Put a great player through a tired old amp with worn out lifeless tubes and needs a cap job, the speaker is falling apart.. I don't think he would sound all that stellar. Gotta keep your amp tuned up...
waparker4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

If I had to take a stab at what's going on in that clip, I would say that the player has exceptional skills..and, he certainly understands his pedals and how to set all the parameters for just the right embellishments. Non the less, it certainly had the sound of a Deluxe Reverb from the start..clean with that thump for sure.
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Way too compressed for me, and his chops are the best part of that to my ears. If my SFDR sounded like that I would not be too happy actually. Which illustrates just how subjective 'tone' is, not withstanding the speakers in our computers bending what we may be hearing...

Caio

Last edited by robt57; February 22nd, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
robt57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal34 View Post
At the beginning, he's using a DRRI (all stock), 60th Anniversary Flame Top tele (stock) and a Boss CS-3. I think the sound is amazing, absolutely crisp and clear, spanking and twanging beautifully.
He's also using a Tube Screamer, which could easily be the difference that you are hearing. I run a Sparkle Drive in front of my DRRI, and I can get that tone if I set things correctly for it.
Frodebro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

well I'll just say it's not the amp...the player has a couple of flash licks in his pocket but the sound comes from his pedals and his fingers...Too much compression for me as well....another thing to consider is freshness of strings..in the clip the strings sound more alive than dead...if you want to get the most out of a guitar, especially a Telecaster, it's with fresh strings.

t

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

hmnnn Sounds like my Ac15...
DTPBUSCHPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Don't swap out any gear at all just practice night and day.
It is not the experience of buying gear it is the experience you learn over time and dedication to the instrument you already have.
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete W View Post
Don't swap out any gear at all just practice night and day.
It is not the experience of buying gear it is the experience you learn over time and dedication to the instrument you already have.
Yeah.
Stop worrying about what "the other guy" sounds like. (not directed at the Op...all of us)
If your amp, and guitar are in good order, you already sound the way you are going to sound.
Assuming "good" gear that is well maintained.....
Talent and a speaker swap are the best way to change/improve your tone.
best

Last edited by backline; February 22nd, 2013 at 10:25 PM.
backline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by backline View Post
Talent and a speaker swap are the best way to change/improve your tone.
best

If I may: "Talent and a speaker swap are the best way to improve/change your tone."

But truer woids there ain't...

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Not sure how much more of a difference it'll make, but his ME-50 is on with the threshold set at 40-50% but more importantly he's not using preset patches on it there, it's in bypass mode, but the compressor and sustain is on as well, roughly 35-40% on. In bypass the comp, sustain, and threshold are on when the knobs are, this is also part of the volume, along with the master, so it looks as if he's running these three effects before he's even going through his other compressor, or pedals for that matter. His tone sounds like mine, he's using a lot of the same pedals I use. I personally prefer the comp, and sustain of my ME-50 over the CS-3, but others may not. But this may have some impact on his sound in the vid.

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't know...I get the style but that is more in line with roy buchanan ice picky tweaky treble tone to me. I guess I come from a different style and background, but nothing about that tone is appealing to me.

I would think your DRRI could certainly accomplish that, but it is also the guitar and pickups to approach that tone, his picking style, and whatever effects he might engage.

Good luck.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRae View Post
I don't know...I get the style but that is more in line with roy buchanan ice picky tweaky treble tone to me. I guess I come from a different style and background, but nothing about that tone is appealing to me.

I would think your DRRI could certainly accomplish that, but it is also the guitar and pickups to approach that tone, his picking style, and whatever effects he might engage.

Good luck.
Speak for yourself, but I love the tone.

Last edited by hwy145; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
hwy145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I only listened on my ipod, but my take is that his tone is very trebly, drenched in reverb, and compressed. Add to that the single-note noodle-city-fear-of-empty-space style, and it's bordering on unlistenable for me, at the very least the sharpness causing slight listening fatigue.

This tone is how a lot of players sound when boosting treble, maybe having the bright switch on as well, and setting the amp behind their legs on the floor of the stage. Only their calves get the Roy Buchanan painful bite - and, the first couple rows of heads in the audience. Ouch!

And why would a Doug Seven-style lead player drown country roll-offs in reverb? That's like putting jelly in a baked potato. Oh, and, how bout letting us folks hear a chord or two, fire-fingers!?

The technical ability of the player is great, xtra points for speed, but gee! Give 'er some space. Breathe a second willya! "You're really workin' me Jane Fonda!"

To me a DRRI is bright from the get go, and needs the treble turned down to not sound ice-picky and beamy. Jmho because I've been able to play them anywhere from a small room to an amphitheater.

After years of engineering and mixing with flat-frequency monitors, (and maybe too many high volume gigs), my hearing is pretty sensitive, but i have grown to be more like Ronald Reagan than G.G. Allen over the years...

Same with bass in mid-sized venues: The sound-guys are sometimes high (and almost deaf,) so they think thumping the heck out of 40-100hz is an acceptable use of the clubs sound system. End result, my chest is getting a workout from the friggin' Indigo Girls and papa need to go to bathroom now! Meanwhile the slee-stacks dry-pelvis-ing the disco ball lights in a mating frenzy, creating formidable wafts of yuck-musk in miniskirts and timberlands. Oh, you just killed a blue whale with "No Parking On The Dance Floor." Subsonics are lethal weapons.

I use to listen to everything with the treble turned all the way up back in high school. Dead Kennedy's with a boosted top. Yikes!

Now, it could be that I'm just a wittle jealous boy cause the demo player is great, but anyhoo, my opinion. Get the verb outta surf territory, compression, like squash, goes better a teeny weeny and with zucchini-bikini. And less notes, Mozart! Gonna be freends with Arthur Itis if he don't let up a bit.

Winning friends and influencing people:)

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I came across this clip because I've been frustrated by my '65 DRRI, and his sound is exactly what I'm looking for: Deluxe Reverb + Tele (sound starts at about 1:00)

Now, I'm trying to figure out why my sound isn't even coming close to his. There are some different variables. I have a DRRI that is about 6 years old. I'm playing a 2004 Fender '52 AVRI. And I'm using a Wampler Ego Compressor. I copied his settings on the DRRI and tried to dial in multiple tones on the Ego Compressor. My high ends sound pretty good, but my mids and low end tones are not clear AT ALL. There is nowhere near as much clarity and crispness as he is getting. It sounds rather muddy and lifeless.

Any advice of why I'm not getting close to that sound would be appreciated. Is it my specific model of Tele? The compressors? Could my DRRI need a tune-up or possibly new tubes (I'm not very knowledgeable about tube amps, this is my first one).

Just looking for a place to start before I swap out each individual piece of gear. Thanks!
Because you aren't him
sir humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Keep on trying mate....it'll happen in about twenty years.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
My high ends sound pretty good, but my mids and low end tones are not clear AT ALL. There is nowhere near as much clarity and crispness as he is getting. It sounds rather muddy and lifeless.

Any advice of why I'm not getting close to that sound would be appreciated
When is the last time you changed your strings? Don't underestimate this.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Once again, another thread that has taken a weird turn. Trashing the video clip and questioning the OP skill level, has Zero to do with the question that was asked.

For the record, I liked every thing about that video. It certainly inspires me to try harder...not to proud to admit that.
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote