Help! Transformer snapped off amp? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Help! Transformer snapped off amp?

So I decide to fully retube my amp for the first time in awhile. As I am looking around the back of my amp, I realize something looks off. The transformer has snapped at the piece where it connects to the rest of the amp. It is working fine and I would have never noticed the problem without retubing my amp. Since I just caught it I have no idea how long it has been this way either.

What should should I do? Anyway to fix it/prevent it from getting worse?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-159741427.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	166403

Name:	image-622957546.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	166404

Paulie13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a homebuilt amp based on an old Traynor chassis. I used it hard for about 5 years. One day I looked in the back and found that all 4 mounting tabs had broken off the power transformer and it was just hanging by the wires.

I spent many hours fashioning some new mounts from small 90-degree angle irons. It seemed like a lot of trouble, but I had more time than money. I wonder what a replacement transformer would cost you?
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I am not sure. It still is connected on one side, and sounds absolutely fine so I'd hate to switch until I absolutely have to. . And unfortunately I am probably not handy enough to craft some new posts

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You can buy teeny L shaped brackets that are used to support 90 degree corners on wood joints. I used these to mount a laydown tranny upright on a kit build.
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I would fashion a "L" bracket, remove the broken tab, remove the two screws on the PT, attach the L bracket and secure it to the original mounting hole on the chassis.

I imagine it broke during transit, if you ever ship the amp again, make sure it has no free play in the packing and shore up the PT so that has no room to wiggle when the package is dropped.
teleamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Looks like NAD time .

However, like the previous posts, it looks to me like you could connect one end of an L braket to the screw with the yellow washer, and one end to the screw in the amp chassis.

Before doing anything, you might want to wait for one of the forum sages, like Muchxs, who actually build and service amps, to weigh in.
gwjensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I did an L bracket google search there's a ton of them they come in all shapes and sizes. Here's two from google images.
You never know what you'll get on google images.
Attached Images

BobbyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
I would fashion a "L" bracket, remove the broken tab, remove the two screws on the PT, attach the L bracket and secure it to the original mounting hole on the chassis.
that's what I did, I had to make 4 of them It was a pretty long and difficult process, I had to file the heck out of those things to get 'em to fit. It wasn't really hard, it just took quite a bit of thinking and tinkering to get them to fit the transformer and the chassis.

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Or you could bend a simple bracket that goes from the opposite side screw hole, across the top of the tranny, and down to the screw for the broken bracket. Not as elegant, bu,,,,,,,,,,Not too sure I'd want to remove the screw with the yellow washer, as it's one of the screws holding the leaves of the transformer together. Maybe I'm too cautious?
jmiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

...but what do I know?

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I was going to say. (I got distracted) That to fix this you will need to get inside the amp so you'll need to know how to discharge the filter caps to do it safely.
Pretty simple fix like the other guys said. Just some work with a drill, file and maybe a hacksaw, hammer and grinder.
I wouldn't worry about pulling the screws out of the transformer just don't pull them all out at the same time.

Onother fix would be to just change the endbells on the tranny if you can get them. But they already broke so I wouldn't bother.
BobbyZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
bo
Friend of Leo's

Reverend amps were made with the transformers hose clamped to the chassis. Seems to work fine.
bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

...2 part epoxy.....white and black crap....mix up a wad...jam it in there..nobody gonna see it but you... and it will hold....
thumbpick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

universal fixall
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the-truth-about-duct-tape_large.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	166601  
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

You don't have to worry about the transformer falling apart if you take out the bolts as they are varnished together. Get a piece of metal at least the same thickness as the one that snapped and work to fit. I doubt the bolts will be long enough for those ready made corners or if they will fit in the space with the bend they have.
printer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Meccano job - make or buy a little L-bracket

Btw- remove the mains plug from mains completely, nothing plugged in, then by the time you have the chassis out those big nasty caps will have discharged far enough to only give you a little fright. If in doubt, stick your voltmeter across them until they read zero. The voltmeter will both safely discharge and indicate safe.

Old February 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

+1 "L" bracket

easy fix

Old February 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Jb weld?

Old February 14th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
that's what I did, I had to make 4 of them It was a pretty long and difficult process, I had to file the heck out of those things to get 'em to fit. It wasn't really hard, it just took quite a bit of thinking and tinkering to get them to fit the transformer and the chassis.
I forgot to mention - I had to replace the long bolts through the transformer, because they were not long enough to attach the new brackets that I made. The new brackets were not long enough to reach the mounting holes, so I had to stack a variety of washers between the brackets and the transformer to space everything correctly. Then the long bolts through the transformer were too long and interfered with the chassis-mounting bolts...

Old February 14th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks everyone. I had thought about doing the JB weld epoxy. So unscrewing the screw on the side of the transformer is safe? If I can get an L shape bracket to fit that might be best like a few of you have said.

Do I need to worry about discharging if I am using an L bracket with the holes already in place?