"Neo" (neodymium) Speakers? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old October 18th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

"Neo" (neodymium) Speakers?

Anyone using them? Which ones? How do they sound?

This is what Ted Weber had to say on the subject:
Quote:
I get asked a lot about neo speakers and how they evolved for this market. Here are my thoughts.
We engineers get all giddy about energy and power, so when the neo came along speaker engineers went crazy because of all the energy in a much smaller package. Where we would typically have 11K of energy in an AlNiCo, and maybe 13K of energy in a ceramic, they had over 15K in a neo. That's nice, except we can go overboard on anything and this is no exception. That much energy oversensitized the speakers and made them hard and harsh at high volumes with distortion. The first ones were unbearable.
Eminence and Celestion got a handle on it and made the necessary changes. As a result, they both have very good neo guitar speakers. The rest of the marketers are still clueless, apparently.
I started out designing ours with the AlNiCo energy as a target. The first question is... "why would someone purposely not take advantage of the energy in the neo?" My answer is because I was shooting for a tone, not a contest winning energy level, and the light weight is a bonus. So, that's where we are.
The neo energy in our NeoMag™ Series speaker is the same as the AlNiCo magnet circuit it emulates.
As a result, they sound the same. Virtually identical.
Next question: "Why do these weigh as much as a california 10? I thought neo speakers were a lot lighter weight than ceramics and others".
They are. Remember, our NeoMag™ Series is meant to replace original AlNiCo JBL D series speakers. Those D110F's weighed in at 10 to 12 pounds, while our Neo 10 is about half that.

Tarnisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Jensen NEO 12" (made in Italy) in a Fender Princeton Reverb. I think it sounds very good... but then it is so hard to describe a speaker sound, and there are so many things influencing the speaker.

It is light in weight - but not any lighter than a 12" alnico speaker.

It is very efficient and loud; maybe too loud. My Princeton Reverb is now so loud and clean, it is more like a Twin. I play second guitar in a classic rock cover band. The lead player plays really, really loud with all kinds of distortion through a 100W Peavey Valve-King. I can't turn my PR up past 4.

I wanted a loud, clean speaker that reproduced the bass notes nicely. My model was an old JBL D130 15" speaker. I think the Jensen does the job pretty well.
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I also installed a Jensen NEO 12-100 in a DRRI. Great speaker, loud clean headroom, tight bass, natural mids and smooth highs. Only little criticism, it lacks a bit of sparkle for that typical Fender tone. That said my DRRI is no longer shrill sounding and it takes pedals way better than before. It always stays articulate. Not the speaker for somebody searching for a thick sound with mucho mids and sound coloration. Very flat EQ, but flat for the better, not the worst ;)
nic'o'caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have two Jensen Tornado's in my port city cab. They are super light weight and sound great in that cab.

They do not sound like JBLs tho. They will break up and are not as bright imo.
Deep South is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a couple of Weber NeoMag 12s, and they sound very close to a JBL D120, which Ted had patterned them after. They take a bit to break in, but once that's done, they do sound real good, and are about half the weight of a JBL.
Teleguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

My only neo mag speaker experience was a 12" Eminence Tonkerlite, I tried one in a Deluxe Reverb and I didn't like it at all, very hi fi sounding to my ears, but maybe I'm just too used to Celestions?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Got a celestion century (not vintage century) they dont make anymore.

Have in one of my old tubbies...does great...extra loud...sometime more hi fi than
normal speakers, but, handles bass extra well, which that amp needed.

super light too!!!!

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
My only neo mag speaker experience was a 12" Eminence Tonkerlite, I tried one in a Deluxe Reverb and I didn't like it at all, very hi fi sounding to my ears, but maybe I'm just too used to Celestions?
I have both the tonker lite and a lil Texas. I'm not all that fond of the tonker lite either but love the lil Texas . . . Especially given its weight, or lack of it.
bdgregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhundt
I have a Jensen NEO 12" (made in Italy) in a Fender Princeton Reverb. I think it sounds very good... but then it is so hard to describe a speaker sound, and there are so many things influencing the speaker.

It is light in weight - but not any lighter than a 12" alnico speaker.

It is very efficient and loud; maybe too loud. My Princeton Reverb is now so loud and clean, it is more like a Twin. I play second guitar in a classic rock cover band. The lead player plays really, really loud with all kinds of distortion through a 100W Peavey Valve-King. I can't turn my PR up past 4.

I wanted a loud, clean speaker that reproduced the bass notes nicely. My model was an old JBL D130 15" speaker. I think the Jensen does the job pretty well.
To be fair IIRC your Princeton has a bigger tranny and 6l6's! More like a 1x12 vibrolux really!
I have the Jensen also, light and sounds good. Very balanced and neutral tone. Used with my Marshall & matchless clone with good results.

Bonus is that the 2x10 pine ply cab they're in weighs less than it's 15w head!
winny pooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
TNO
Friend of Leo's

I've use the Jensen Neo 12 and Tornado 10. Both really nice speakers, weight aside. I prefer to use low wattage alnicos but if I need a more efficient speaker the Jensen neos seem to preserve some of the tone I like in the alnicos. None of the ceramics I've tried have done that.
TNO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have an 15" Jensen neo, but am not very happy with it. Its so that for me the Italian Jensens lack shimmer and dimension, but I'll give em a second try.
The Eminence lil Texas makes me smile every day, realy like that sound and its efficient and loud.
Rydell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgregory View Post
I have both the tonker lite and a lil Texas. I'm not all that fond of the tonker lite either but love the lil Texas . . . Especially given its weight, or lack of it.
I've heard both a Tonker-Lite and a regular Tonker. Regular Tonker sounds good. I'll pass on the Lite, too bright and harsh.
BiggerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a Jensen Neo 10 in my "boutique" 20-watt amp and an Emi Li'l Texas in my allen Sweet Spot.

To me they both sound great. Reducing the carry weight by 7 to 8 pounds over a comparable ceramic mag speaker is motivation enought.

The bad news is that with the Chinese in control of the world's neodymium, the price of these speakers has doubled in the past 4 years.
Ed Storer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the great feedback, guys.

My interest comes from trying to put together the best sounding, lightest weight rig I can muster.

I've decided to go with the Orange Micro Terror 20w hybrid head, and now I'm looking for a cabinet to go with it. I want the best sound for the least weight and money, and it seems the most affordable option is to shop for the best speaker and build my own cabinet out of lightweight materials.

Although the MT is a dirty little beast, I can get some really nice cleans out of it with the gain rolled back, and I'd like to emphasize that as much as possible.

Am I right in thinking a neo speaker is the best bet for clean headroom at low weight? Or is there another better (or cheaper) option I should consider?
Tarnisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

- there is another thread going on today about light cabinets.
- Yea, neo for most headroom...they can go 100db+, some of them

- oh, duh, that other thread is yours...(edited)

- that baby vox cab was light