Yamaha THR10 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I cannot tell you how great this thing is ! Small, great looks In my opinion, great amp models and effects. Reverb and delay are brilliant.
True bedroom amp but you can definitely rock out for your bud's and still annoy the neighbours if you situate it thoughtfully.

I personally think that it blows away the Fender G Dec 3/30 that I owned and my mates Mustang III but it will not touch the volume that either of those amps can put out. Nor will it replace your main rig, my Orange TT certainly ain't going anywhere any time soon.

But thats not the point of this little beastie ......you wanna play when your laying on your couch while your significant other, female or male..... Not that theres anything wrong with that.....are reading a book or watching Days of our Lives. Well with this you can both do those things but your guitar playing at low volume is gonna blow that significant other away and they will drop their book or turn off the tv and ask you to play some more, giving you their undivided attention. The soft lighting emanating from the little head is very romantic.....what will happen next I can't go into on this family forum. Happy times...

I cannot guarantee this with the THR5 but with the THR10 thats exactly how it will go down...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-157413879.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	142601  

Last edited by Calmac69; September 7th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Calmac69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Works the same with the 5, but it's significantly smaller, so you look impressively bigger!
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Can't believe it ???? Just on the MLP Forum and there is a thread about these in the Squawk Box ( amp ) forum. Yamaha are releasing new / updated models next month ? Video preview has been posted.

These have only just become available here in Oz ?

Oh well thats how the ol cookie crumbles......I don't like the new army green colour anyway.

BASTARD'S........
Calmac69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

do you have a link to the new release? i wasn't able to find any mention of it and i couldn't find anything on the yamaha web site either.
sk8g0at is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Lots of info in the THR Club Thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owner...10-club-2.html

Yamaha pulled the video of the new models, which I may have unintentionally instigated by calling them yesterday for more details. The guy I spoke with was irked not to have been informed about the new releases or the video and said he would look into it. I had already posted some details of what the video revealed in the other thread.

Either way, I'm totally stoked with my THR5. No question it is the best modeler I have experienced (and I have owned the Fenders and Rolands).

The key with the THRs in my opinion is the Hall Reverb -- just a touch and the tiny box produces an incredibly gigantic sound, so much so that it's hard to judge how loud you are actually playing.

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have been doing a lot of digging online about these amps. I also have listened to most of the youtube vids on these.
I think this may be the best little practice amp to date!
Swee_tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I managed to borrow a THR10 for the weekend (been GASsing for one for a while) and have to say it's good at what it does.

However, in the flesh, I did find it lacked bass response but that's only to be expected for such a small box. I didn't like the high gain amp models at all (too fizzy) but the clean models with the pre-amp gain semi-cranked gave more acceptable overdriven tones. The clean sounds were great. The unit I was using also had an annoying buzz from something rattling inside at certain frequencies.

I like just a little reverb but I found the sweep of the effects pot was too course to easily dial-in just the right amount. Even with the reverb barely on it sounded unnatural to me with too much decay. I never got into the software side of the unit (I didn't have the leads or software anyway), so perhaps there are controls there to alter things in more detail. Trem, chorus and delay were very good indeed (I have no experience with flangers or phasers so can't comment there).

I already have an old Line 6 PODxt running into a mini hi-fi that I use for practising, jamming to backing tracks & recording etc, so I was ultimately comparing the Yamaha to that. My existing POD set-up sounds miles better in all respects I have to say...although portable it certainly is not.

So, the THR10 is not for me but if the next generation of these Yamahas have bigger speakers with more projection (something more like the Roland CUBE Street for example), then I will certainly audition one again.

...oh, and the OP has now got me GASsing for a Cabronita Tele - that thing looks the beez kneez!

Last edited by Captain Bb; September 9th, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Captain Bb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bb View Post

So, the THR10 is not for me but if the next generation of these Yamahas have bigger speakers with more projection (something more like the Roland CUBE Street for example), then I will certainly audition one again.
Interestingly, I returned a CUBE Street after I bought my THR5. Although the THR doesn't have the volume of the Street, I found it had enough for the practice I planned to do with it. The THR is also less than one-fifth the size of the Street and thus much more convenient. I also never could get used to the angled controls of the Street. I had to tilt it forward to change settings. The THR's tone is better, IMO, but in actuality they are different animals -- one designed for quiet practice and the other capable of performance.
Kyle76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

For sure Kyle, although I wasn't trying to draw any parallels between the THR and the Street - they are different animals without doubt.

My point was that I think a bigger version of the THR would be more my cup of tea - bigger speakers and more power in a Street sized unit (not necessarily a sloping panel but just as an example of the size of unit I had in mind) but better sounding like the THR with all the functionality the Yamaha has too. Bedroom to busking if you will. More a coffee table than a desktop unit.
Captain Bb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I think the THR sounds huge, and I have the 5. Moreover, it sounds absolutely more realistic than any other modeler I've owned (including Cube, GDEC, POD, Zoom, etc.).

It's true that the effects aren't subtle, but I find a touch of the Hall Reverb is all I need to make this thing sound incredible both clean and dirty.

The other thing other modelers don't do remotely as well is the interaction between gain, master, and tone. All on the THR truly react like a real amp and give you TONS of highly usable and very different flavors of each model.

http://www.youtube.com/Hoodrio
Hoodster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Join the club! ( literally, in the amp owners forum). I love my THR5. its everything I've ever wanted in a practice amp.

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I bought a THR10C.
It makes an annoying rattle at some frequencies as CaptainB described.
Is it commun to all units? Or is it a defect that some have?
4characters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm a total tube amp snob, well I use to be before THR10. This little amp HAS the sound, feel and dynamics of a GOOD tube amp, at very low volumes that are not achievable from tube amps...
teleamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I do not know how to delete this post. Please ignore it.

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Help!
Could you THR10 owners answer me?
I need to know it I should send my unit back or not.

Thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4characters View Post
I bought a THR10C.
It makes an annoying rattle at some frequencies as CaptainB described.
Is it commun to all units? Or is it a defect that some have?

Old January 9th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4characters View Post
Help!
Could you THR10 owners answer me?
I need to know it I should send my unit back or not.

Thanks-
Mine doesn't make any weird noises. How high do you have the gain and master set at?

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

thank you teleamp.

Let me describe it the best I can.

Guitar setup:
Fender American Strat Deluxe. Neck Pickup (normal single coil mode). Volume and tone at max.

Amp setup:

Scenario A) Master 1; Bass/Mid/Tre 1/2; Guitar input knob 1
Starts rattling when Gain is 1/2

Scenario B) Gain 1; Master 1; Bass/Mid/Tre 1/2.
Starts rattling when Guitar input knob is 1/3

I just tried the amp with batteries for the first time. For you to have a feeling about the real volume of sound this happens, I would say that it is when the amp switch off automatically.

Is it more or less the same with you guys?

Old January 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think you might have a defective unit if it is doing that on the clean, crunch, or lead channels,

I'm using a Strat, my amp settings: clean, gain noon, master 1 o'clock, bass 11 o'clock, middle 2 o'clock, treble noon, spring reverb barely on, guitar max and I get a very convincing Blackface Reverb amp in its sweet spot for a great clean tone.

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the answer.

I forgot to explain in my previous description that when I said for example gain "1" I mean 100% (Max); when I said "1/2" I mean 50% of the max and of course "1/3" I mean around 33%.
I am not sure if this was clear.

Teleamp, could you please make an experience?

Select your neck pickup and put your stratocaster volume and tone at maximum.

Please select "flat" amp type (because it is a common amp among THR10 and THR10C). Turn the 3 knobs: Bass, Med, Treb to 12'o clock (50%). Turn the Gain and Master at maximum. No effects.

Playing one note per string try every possible note. Go cranking by increments the "guitar input" knob of your THR. Post here the position of the "guitar input" knob that your THR starts rattling (it will probably starts rattling with a specific note) or if it just does not rattle at all with every knob at maximum.

Thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
I think you might have a defective unit if it is doing that on the clean, crunch, or lead channels,

I'm using a Strat, my amp settings: clean, gain noon, master 1 o'clock, bass 11 o'clock, middle 2 o'clock, treble noon, spring reverb barely on, guitar max and I get a very convincing Blackface Reverb amp in its sweet spot for a great clean tone.

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I selected "flat" amp type. Turned Bass, Med, Treb to 12'o clock. Turned the Gain, Master and Guitar at maximum. No effects.... No rattles out of mine and my strat pups are hot. Guitar vol & tone maxed, neck pup.