Champ 600 replacement cabinet - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Champ 600 replacement cabinet

I've recently acquired a Champion 600. The amp sounds good but the cab is all torn up. I first priced how much it would be to retolex it and quickly learned that I could just buy a new amp for the same price.

So now I'm thinking maybe I'll build a cab to house the chassis, or maybe I can buy one depending on how much it would be. The only info I've found online is about extension cabs. When I search for custom cabs I only find tweed champs 5f1 etc. I'm not sure if I can put the 600 chassis in a 5f1 cab.

So basically I'm asking if anyone knows where I can find a blueprint for a champ 600 cab or do I need to do my best to copy the cab I already have? Or, do you know anyone who builds champ 600 cabs?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Syclone879 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

You can always get a 5F1(8") or 5F1A(10") cab and you can put an 8" or 10" speaker in it. It wouldn't be too difficult for someone with minimal to moderate woodworking skills. It's been done at least a couple of time that I have read about.

I was just looking at some cabs from Memphis Amps and Weber Cabinets. There are others, but that is who I had pulled up on other tabs.

Old June 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Ok! That's kind of what I'm looking for. So I can drop the chassis of a 600 in the cab of a 5f1?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 8th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone879 View Post
Ok! That's kind of what I'm looking for. So I can drop the chassis of a 600 in the cab of a 5f1?
No, you can't. They're very different.

While we're at it there ain't no such thing as a "5F1A". That's a recent aftermarket mutant. So maybe there is a 5F1A but Fender never made one. Either way a Champion 600 either recent or original early '50s won't work in that cabinet.

Is this a recent Champion or a '50s original?

Old June 9th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchxs

Is this a recent Champion or a '50s original?
It is a recent Champion.

Old June 9th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mat
Tele-Meister

I occasionally see "dead" Champion 600's for sale on fleabay. That may be an option
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
It is a recent Champion.
O.k.. Those go for around $100. Most cabinet builders charge at least $100. To my knowledge no one makes a replacement cabinet for the recent Champion because it's difficult to beat the numbers.

That Champion must have had a short rough life.

I suppose you could heat gun the old covering off. I'd be tempted to re-do it in Matamp green or something.

I built a couple similar 5C1 cabinets a while back. That's a transitional cabinet, wide panel instead of TV front.

Old June 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I thought I might hear that. I may try to retolex it, I'm worried I won't get it right though.

I'm a teacher and starting Tuesday I'll have about eight weeks off so I'm looking for a fun project. I may just try to build a nice wood cabinet and stain it.

I suppose I'll just copy the cab I have, but if anyone has a plan I could look at that would be nice.

Old June 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Syclone879: i plan on a similar project.. once my health allows.. but just building a cab for a roland micro cube for a bigger speaker and make up the size as i go along. i bought some burlap im gonna use for the cover, was cheap. hopefully it will not look to bad, but im responding to your thread because i found a webpage showing how to tolex his tweed cab ( probably more than one way to do this, just like enjoying the guitar_). here is the url:

http://www.guitarscanada.com/amp-bui...net-build.html

of course he makes it look easy, laughs which means my first try is gonna suck :)
good luck,
chris.
jipp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for that link Jipp. I'm not sure if I want to try and build my own cab for the chassis or retolex. However, if you saw what it looks like when I wrap gifts you'd probably tell me to stay away from the tolex ; )

Old June 10th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Thanks for that link Jipp. I'm not sure if I want to try and build my own cab for the chassis or retolex. However, if you saw what it looks like when I wrap gifts you'd probably tell me to stay away from the tolex ; )
you and me both man. thats why i brown bag it. laughs. of course my sister always steps up at the last second and says let me wrap them correctly. im like what? you can open up the brown bag just the same, anyhow.. i guess women have a different opinion on how a present should be wrapped. go figure. heck we use to use brown bags to wrap our books to protect them. do students still do that, so they can draw on them? man im getting old. laughs
hey dose your 600 look at bad as this real old one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1951...item33774de12a

from what i understand on these old amps the caps should be replaced regardless if they are working fine?

anyhow, i say go for it man, or wait for a dead one to pop up on ebay.

chris.

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

jipp, that one doesn't look as bad as some of the ones I've seen on e-bay.

Syclone, as jipp said just wait for one to show up on e-bay. Also keep an eye out on CL and any local web based classifieds in your area, something might pop up on one of them.

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Jipp, that amp looks terrible : ) I saw that on eBay after you posted that link. It's hard to believe someone would pay what they are asking. Then again I am no amp connoisseur.

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I decided I'm going to build a cab. Any thoughts on whether or not I should finger joint it? The stock cab looks like it was just butted together.

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Syclone879: to be honest, unless you want to try to learn how to do a finger joint i would not worry to much about it. just be sure to add braces inside to strengthen the seems, lack of a better word to describe where the two pieces of wood will butt up against each other. if i was ever considering/ thinking of sitting on it, i would def finger joint it tho. on such a small amp, and if you cover it.. add some support inside and you should be fine. like the guy did in the thread on the tolex. you can get clamps at harbor fret for like 3.00 to make it easy to glue that joint. wood working i know a little about, even tho before my health went to hell, i built custom longbows and recurves. big money to be made there too. so i spent 11 years perfecting a design that would allow my bow to be fast and stable. the bow with the stiffest tips, with less mass is gonna always be the faster bow is the general rule.. but like in music so many variables.. . so a reflex/deflex longbow about 66" is my goto bow or was, i have a 32" draw, average is 28" everything after 28" is free horse power which can make up for a bad shot.. etc.

i picked up the guitar causes i needed a sit down hobbie around the first of the year ( when i joined the forum about ) and loving every bit of it even if my health seems to be going down hill rather fast. but im loving every single note i play be it bad or good. it helps me take my mind off the chronic pain etc. i do miss working in the shop on building the next fastest bow. hah. guess no matter what hobbie it is, us humans always try to improve on proven designs go figure. in archery, carbon fiber has really changed how fast a stick bow is now a days. :)

anyhow, from advice iv learn from here. i would also go with a bigger speaker while you build the cab. may as well :) also you want the speaker baffle to be as stiff as possible.

so for my project as a example.. a micro cube transplant. ill use 3/4" pine. if and when, and how im feeling i want to try and do finger joints. just for the experience.. ill go ahead and use 3/4" pine for the whole project. rear mount the speaker on to the 3/4" pine baffle board. dunno if ill add a painters frame type speaker baffle cover or use the 3/4" pine baffle board cover it with speaker cloth and be done with it. and ill brace the inside so i have something to mount the baffle board too. I plan covering it in burlap i picked up for 7.00 and ill use spray on glue ( dunno if there is abetter option for glue but figure it should be ok since im gonna stain and cover it with a wood finish product, i figure the combo will be plenty to hold the burlap down. and i have some stain to make the burlap darker. finish it with a polly, or whatever i have in the shop.

ill be using a 8" 1950s NOS rca 4ohm speaker. also the standerd edge ( the rounded over part of the amp sides ) is a half of a inch. so i would use a 1/2" round over router bit if you want to use the generic metal corners you see on amps. could probably do that by hand if you have the corner pieces with a bastard file. also they make different metal corner protectors, some for closed back some for open back, and some for bottom/feet. so when you buy them be sure to ask the seller what you will need.

anyhow, that's my plan now. good luck.
if you need help with wood working go ahead and message me. i know my way around wood tools. even if building a speaker cab will be a new learning experience for me.
chris

Last edited by jipp; June 10th, 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Old July 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You can always do what FezzParka did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	389448_2381180100515_1581060695_31665445_2139555289_n.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	135089  

Old July 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I'm actually in the middle of mounting the C600 chassis into a SuperChamp XD combo cab I got off ebay. Been wanting to use the amp with a bigger speaker but don't want to carry around an extra cab. That's the plan. We'll see how it turns out.