Hellhound users...need opinions - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old June 12th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hellhound users...need opinions

I'm selling my Vox AC15 and going a different direction. So, how's the 1x12 Hellhound for overall clarity of tone, depth and punch. I'd like to find a nice mostly clean punch with a shade of dirt on it, then use a stomp box for added drive (thinking Blues Driver or Drivetrain). While I like the Vox tone, my ears tend more towards the tweedy tones for my country & blues pickin'. I hate SF/BF tones (if that matters).

Opinions please...

JohnK24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Check out a Dr.Z Z-28 combo.. if you look, you can find 1x12's for 850-900... killer amp for what you wanna do..

Mike
Mike Better is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2003, 02:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Hmmmmmm... That's a tough one.

Honestly, I'd say that the US side of the Schizo switch on my Hellhound sounds somewhat like more of a BF/SF amp. It's got punch similar to a Deluxe, while maintaining a nice smoothness on sustained notes not unlike a Bassman.

I spend most of my time on the UK side however, as I'm mostly a British-toned man. While some people really despise Marshall cleans, I love 'em. They're the most gutsy cleans on the planet - just not really suited to Beatlesesque jangle. That being said, the clean tones in UK mode are more flexible that those on my JCM800. There's a lot more bounciness and jangle to the Hellhound than the Marshall. In fact, when my new 4x12 cab comes in, I plan to use my Hellhound (I have the head version) on my 2x12 and my Marshall on a 4x12 for A/B/Y clean/dirty/both tones. I'd compare the cleans on the UK side to a blend of Marshall, Vox, and Hiwatt, but I think you might actually be able to squeeze tweedish tones out of ther UK mode if you play with the eq a bit.

The gain knob is a nice one. In fact, I'd say that where the Hellhound excels is in the "in-between" tones. Crank the knob all the way up, and you've got a good amount of gain, but the guitar will always shine through - you don't need to worry about that. In fact, in the UK mode, with a spoonfull of gain is where you might find the tweediest of sounds in the amp.

I happen to occasionally use both of the pedals you mentioned, and if you need a fully-saturated tone, you can hit it with either one, and get a pretty mean grind. It reacts very well to pedals, and especially to clean boosts. I played in a semi-hardcore band for awhile with nothing but my Hellhound and a BD-2 to kick it up a notch.

Whether it's for you or not is a tough call. I know that I love mine, and up 'till now whenever I've gotten a new amp, I've sold the old one (poor college student dontcha know?) but when my Marshall showed up, I knew I was keeping the Hellhound.

Last note. I tried the combo version during my search, and it's pretty nice too. I just needed more of a closed-back tone so I went with the head. I might venture to guess that the open-backed combo might even lend a little more jangle and bounce to the cleans on the UK side.

Best of luck. If there's anything else I can tell you about it, feel free to PM or E-mail me.

"...Because we all expect the truth, we must be the best of fools."
- Stiff Little Fingers
Ben Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old June 17th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I just wanted to bump this once to make sure JohnK24 got to read it.

Won't do it again.

"...Because we all expect the truth, we must be the best of fools."
- Stiff Little Fingers
Ben Harmless is offline   Reply With Quote