Fender acoustasonic for the tele? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Fender acoustasonic for the tele?

Hi folks,

I've been looking at the new acoustasonic amps as a small gig solution that could do double duties for voice and guitar. With the electric guitar voicings I can imagine they sound good with a telly.
They do in this video:

I've been playing tube amps for the last couple of years - am I into something here or will I be disappointed?

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Nobody chimes in? I played a coffeehouse gig last night bringing a powered speaker for my voice and tube amp for the tele. made me think about the acoustasonic again. anybody has experience with that?

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

i.d be interested too. i currently use a scx2 for my archtop and an old ss guitar amp for vocals. thought i heard of some reliabiliy issues with the acoustasonics tho. still...one thing to lug for solo gigs is really very appealing. all the other acoustic amps seem designed for strickly acoustic guitars.

nosuch....do you add reverb to your vocal....if so how do you do it. the set up you mentioned is where i.m heading. prolly with a mixer and outboard verb. have also been considering the acoustasonic.

cheers

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

No experience with the Acoustasonic, but for several years in my duo act I used a Peavey Ecoustic 100, and was completely happy with the results. Now, to be honest we were NOT running vocals thru the amp; had a PA for that. I was running my Bender/Roland Synth equipped Teles/Les Pauls/Gretsches thru the amp.

No one ever came up and said.."Hey, you shouldn't do that! You're runnin' that geetar thru an acoustic amp, dude..!!".

Seriously, it should work just fine. Been my experience anyway.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Zippie, no reverb on vocals here. I just plug my mic into my behringer active speaker (the one with the 10" speaker, but as I take out the bass anyway I am sure a smaller one would do the trick) and use the eq to add some treble and tame the bass.
I did use an AER compact with my archtop before and used it for vocals too, but what seems interesting about the acoustasonic is the blackface voicing for the telly ...
Yes and a bit of reverb for the vacals would be nice.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

my solo rig is a single 12" powered spkr....Boss me50 multi.....a 6 channel/4xlr alesis mixer with fx built in. no amps. Works well with acoustic or electric as you can create patches for each. Quick n easy set up and sounds great.
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I love tube amps dearly (currently I own 5), but I've plugged my electrics into sound boards and acoustic amps at various times and (dare I say it) I thought it sounded pretty good !

Name:  hidesbehindsofa.gif
Views: 278
Size:  7.9 KB
darkwaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The electric amp models on the Accoustasonic aren't very good. But it could be worth it so you can carry one less amp to a gig if you're primarily playing acoustic.
rhythmjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm afraid you are right, rhythmjones. Eventually tried one. My impression was exactly that: Good enough for someone occasionally playing electric but sure enough not good enough to inspire through a long night playing tele. I'm keeping the tubes for now ...

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You will all probably poo poo me here, but IMO, The Crate Acoustic amps (CAxxx's) are what I have found to be the best sounding acoustic amps under $1000. They have Beat out any Fender, SWR, or Fishman amp I've tried. I own and have owned the Telluride and Durango, both are amazing. On board effects are very usable not the absoulte best ever but very decent. Basically, they are just small PA systems to go, they have excellent and extensive EQ options, and can be had for cheap. I bought both of mine used under $175 each. You can plug any instrument(electric or acoustic)/mic into them and dial the eq to make it very usable. Lots of ways to get the sounds in and out of the amp. Anyway, my 2 cents.
mattydaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't know but a couple of weeks ago I played an acoustic through my Twin and it sounded pretty sweet. Maybe I'll try my Tele through the old Fishman Loud Box. What have I got to loose? Tones is tones, right? It seems to me that you can find a tone you like and then chase it or you can pick a tone you already have and then come up with some music that sounds good with it. Either way it's gonna sound good.
Beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've been playing my archtop through an AER Compact 60 for years. Strats and Teles sounded very "studiolike" through this rig - like the direct into mixing desk sound that was so typical for the 80s. Nowadays I like a bit of hair in my sound, so for now I'll have to carry a tube amp and a small PA ...
The Acoustasonic's simulations of tube amps sound good enough for an acoustic player using an electric for a couple of songs though. But I am a bit picky and for now use an electric the whole night through. I like a bit of tube drive from the amp and use simulations (like pedals) only if I must.

Old April 10th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I use this with my Tele,....very good for a smaller room. (has a looper, effects, and runs on batteries)

Jonny_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote