Old Crate/SLM 12" speaker. what is it? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Old Crate/SLM 12" speaker. what is it?

I bought an old Crate Amp with out the chassis and only one 12 inch speaker.... The cabinet is approx.22" ht and 18" across about 8" deep. It has crate emblem on from bottom right. I bought it at a yard sale in 1992 for five dollars. It says "CRATE" in red letters, and it says SLM Electronics. It also says "Special Design"......A barely legible piece of tape is glued to the top side of the round magnet that has numbers on it.... It reads >------> [ 86 543 08 ] <------< I have been trying to track this down on the computer for the last hour and have given up. I would like to know who made it, how many watts it's rated for, and I guess that the "8" means it's 8 ohms... Can anyone help me out here. I have never used it. It seems to be in great shape. I would like to use it with my Princeton Reverb... OR.. if it is rated high enough, for my '69 Bandmaster Reverb... 40 watts. RMS. Also wondering if this is a decent speaker for tube amps.. Thanks a lot... Rod

Rod Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

You mentioned the amp was out of the cabinet, any chance there would be a model number on it?

if so, maybe check out this link if there is a number.
http://www.crateamps.com/support/discontinued.php

The numbers on the tag don't seem to match up to any speaker mfg. but just for reference, here's the link to speaker codes on Weber's site.
http://www.webervst.com/morecode.html

Sorry I couldn't find more for you, hope it helps some.
bunny 7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'd bet it's probably an Eminence speaker, Eminence makes / made speakers for pretty much all of the big amp builders.
Crate did use Celestions in some of their amps but most of those I've seen have a Celestion badge on the amp or cabinet and the Celestion label on the speaker.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Yea some of the Crate Amps used Celestions like their 2x8 cabs but as said they were marked I think most of the 12 inch speakers were Eminence.
jh45gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I sold Crates on and off back in those days. Had sporadic jobs at music stores from '91-'01. Factory reps always said the speakers were Crate branded Eminence unless otherwise marked, like the Celestion equipped models.

www.gsharper.com
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks,you guys.. I found another code number on the same piece of tape on the speaker, barely visible.. It is >-----> [67 9928 31] <-----< So it IS an Eminence..... So now there is that code and the other code I started this thread with >----->86 543 08<-----< So can anyone figure out those numbers??... I will go online and try again.. Of all the Crate Amps that I saw on the web page that you gave me, Bunny 7, none had the CRATE logo where my amp has it. This amp cab has the logo on the front right lower part of the grill cloth and it had forward facing control layout. Any thoughts after this extra info.. I just need to know if I can use it at higher power, lets say 40 tube watts... Thanks a lot.. Rod

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Rod, is there any way you can give us the model number of the amp? Or post some pictures? I have a ton of info on older Crate amps floating around the ol' mental rolodex, but I need a way to trigger it. If I could see the thing, I could probably help you out a lot more.

www.gsharper.com
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks Jakedog, I made some mistakes in my first estimates of this amp. The size of the speaker is 10", NOT 12"... I got a tape measure... I didn't have one before and I was off quite a bit. The cabs measurement is.... Height= 16 1/2", width= 17 1/4" ,.... depth=8 1/2".... As far as the model number goes, the cabinet was empty except for the speaker and what looks like a reverb pan that measures 10"X3" and which is screwed into the bottom center, back of the floor of the amp..... The cab is all black textured vinyl and it is all particle board construction. And as I said before, no other Crate amp I've seen in my search has the Crate logo on the right bottom corner of the grill cloth area. The logo is 5 inch width by 1 1/4 height and it is silver letters on a black back plate. amp I'll still be searching on the web... I hope these further corrected details can help.. Thanks a lot,, Rod

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

[67 9928 31] Send this number to Eminence in an email & they will let you know about the power handling capabilities.
Here's the link,
http://www.eminence.com/contact/

Click the link for "general questions" in the first paragraph/

They're very helpful in this, you'l probably hear from Tony Lucas. Might take a day or two to get back to you. Hope it helps.
bunny 7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool! Thanks Bunny 7.

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pics would probably help if they are available.

I am kind of curious about the Vintage Club speakers in my Crate Blue Voodoo BV6212, they are 16ohm and made in the USA. The BV60 (1-12 version of mine) has an 8 ohm speaker.

Old April 25th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I still haven't learned how to post pictures on this forum, otherwise I certainly would... Maybe a little help from this forum, someone???? Thanks, Rod

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Skool_Noma View Post
Pics would probably help if they are available.

I am kind of curious about the Vintage Club speakers in my Crate Blue Voodoo BV6212, they are 16ohm and made in the USA. The BV60 (1-12 version of mine) has an 8 ohm speaker.
Eminence phone number for answers to questions..[502] 845-5622.. I called my question in about the speaker codes and left a message. Eminence called me back within an hour, Unfortunately, the codes I gave them didn't help find what speaker I had. The code that they needed was one that started with the number 10. I will have to take the speaker out of it's cabinet to try to find that. Good luck with your quest.... Rod