Amp Angst HRDlx content - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Amp Angst HRDlx content

My trusted and wonderful Blackheart Handsome Devil is just a little bit too small and weak. I need an amp with more headroom and being somewhat financially challenged at the moment I cannot spend a cent more than $800. (Actually Swedish Krona, about 8000 of them)

I'm thinking along two lines here.

1. Keep my Handsome Devil for that nice dark marshall tone and buy a Hot Rod Deluxe for the cleans

or

2 Sell the Handsome devil and get a Hot Rod Deville 410, because there's something magical about that speaker configuration, and get some more dirtpedals for the marshall sound.

I'm basically recreating my '90s rig. Back then I had a 50W JCM 800 w/ a 2*12 cab and a SF Twin Reverb.

What would you do?

kupasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, I cannot comment on the magic of the 4x10 speaker setup (for guitar) but I cannot imagine a bar/pub gig at which a HRDeluxe would not be loud enough...but that's just me.

In purely economic terms, if we're discussing secondhand amps, whatever you pay for one, you'll probably be able to get the same back out of it in a local sale if you decide that you like the other one...eg, if you spend 5000 on the Dx and decide you prefer the Dv, you'll probably be able to sell the Dx for the same about you paid for it...that doesn't apply to new amps, however.

Good luck

Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thank you!

I just needed some support not wasting money on a purchase I don't need. Sometime in the future when the kids are grown up and the house is renovated I'll become an amp connoisseur and get my boutique 4*10. Until then classic fender cleans in its modern form will suffice.
kupasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Man,you know,a Deville is really freakin loud.....
brbadg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

For Playin out live in the Bars/Beer joints...40 to 60watts is perfect from my own experience, especially if you need the clean headroom. I'm not talking book stores and coffee house's for soft music The Fender Hot Rod Series of amps, shine exceedingly well in this type of venue. These amps are married to pedals if one chooses and it really is a pro sound for a fair price if you have the playin skills to shine

My 60watt Fender Mustang IV on volume 5 with lush headroom

Last edited by musicmatty; April 3rd, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote