Weber Chicago vintage speakers - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Weber Chicago vintage speakers

Hello all, anyone using webers Chicago vintage Alnico or ceramic speakers in 5E3 or 5f1? If so what do you think . I have a weber 8 sig c, and hear a lot of posts referring to the signature line but not the more expensive cv line.Thanks

jkrischan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Hi. I'd like to know, also. With the name "Chicago",
must either be the "Chicago Jensen" emulators
or for "Chicago Blues" style of speaker.

I have several amps, and have been referred to Weber
for any & all replacement speakers or recone jobs.

I searched the Weber lineup and the Chicago seemed
like a good Weber line for Fender/Jensen replacements.
But, almost EVERYONE ELSE suggests a different Weber
speaker line for FENDER JENSEN replacements.

I am interested towards the responses within this thread.
Toppscore
Toppscore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Not sure. .. CTS speakers (Chicago telephone supply)

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have 1 in a Victoria 518 I use in the studio. It's a great speaker
blues dues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Opps, I didn't connect the "Chicago Vintage" part.

I have used the vintage series. I built a 5e3 and put a Weber 12A125A in the cab. Was a great sounding speaker. I had a friend that wanted me to do some work on his amp and he talked me into selling him the speaker. Now I need to order another one to replace it. I've built a 5f1 also and have been thinking of putting a 10A125 into it. Cant go wrong. Also, you can call up weber and they'll gladly help you select a speaker.

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Weber should consider offering 7-day no questions "trial period." I bet Weber would sell gazillions of speaker this way and suffer a small percentage of returns. But I bet most people would keep their 1st speaker choice.

Of course, the speaker would have to be returned in like new condition and not be an over-drive blown out. Showing this sort of product confidence would really stand out in the market place.

Weber could also have a Web Page on their site where purchasers of their speakers could click and fill-out forms to collect user impression . review data. This feedback could be collated by Web software. Then users on the site could select parameters like genre and Weber Web site would display if that model of speaker worked well for that application. Sort of formalising what we go through on these forums with these speaker impression threads.
StephaninMelb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

weber has a forum and folks are quite helpful there. I have a 12a150-0 (smooth) with a 5f2a kind of circuit but with a 6L6 instead of the 6v6 and it sounds just fine, but I like it even better when a weber ceramic silver bell is added...you get the warmth and articulation through out a larger spectrum/range. But I don't have much to compare it with and they were both gotten used and fairly inexpensively...so I'm done shopping...though have considered a recone to a 12a150 (ribbed). Also have a weber ceramic signature 10" that sounds just fine and again better mixed with an old emi alnico 10".

idk but i'd imagine the signature is more for early low watt tweeds and the Chicago is more for the later bf types...abit beefier, louder more in-your-face. Certainly the 12a150-0 will never blow up with my little 10-12 watt amp.

just note my used 12a150-0 was not broken in yet and it took about 3-4 months of regular daily play with the little amp to get it broken in.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm curious to know the sonic differences between the "Chicago Vintage" series speakers and the "Vintage" series speakers.
Alex W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyBlues View Post
Opps, I didn't connect the "Chicago Vintage" part. I have used the vintage series. I built a 5e3 and put a Weber 12A125A in the cab. Was a great sounding speaker. I had a friend that wanted me to do some work on his amp and he talked me into selling him the speaker. Now I need to order another one to replace it. I've built a 5f1 also and have been thinking of putting a 10A125 into it. Cant go wrong. Also, you can call up weber and they'll gladly help you select a speaker.
Hi, LeroyBlues.
Why do you and most everyone else state "5E3 or 5F1" instead of what the amp is?

Is your amp an original Tweed Deluxe? a rebuilt Tweed Deluxe?
A Fender reissue Tweed Deluxe? A Tweed Deluxe boutique or clone amp?
A "kit-build" Tweed Deluxe chassis in an amp head or a combo amp?

Not just you, now, but I've always wondered if the person using acronyms
was discussing an original Fender chassis in an amp head cabinet or an
original chassis in a combo cabinet with any number of speaker configurations
or a third-party chassis kit
or a boutique amp head
or a clone combo amp?

Just wondering what your's is.
From a friendly observation.
Toppscore

Old March 31st, 2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I'm curious to know the sonic differences between the "Chicago Vintage" series speakers and the "Vintage" series speakers.
All the Webers with city or state names (California,Chicago,Texas) are part of the High Power series. The web site gives a tonal profile and notes what speaker they are designed to emulate. As in most "tone" shopping written descriptions and videos are a crap shoot without a good deal of experience to know what you like or what works with your gear. I am happy with the ceramic Chicago in my Dean Markley cd60. I've heard it described as dark sounding more than once but to my ears it brought a little more high end sizzle to that amp. It's rated for 80wt so it's lower powerd brother the F150 (25-50wt) might be a better fit for the amps you mentioned.
dblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 09:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Toppscore

I built a 5e3 and I've built a 5f1 also, as my post stated. In my case I sourced all the parts, and built the two amps. So they're not original fender tweed amps, rebuilds or kits.

I'm not an expert on how fender determined their model designations, but it had something to do with the tube configuration and the version number, if I remember correctly. Fender "tweaked" their amp designs frequently, and every new version was designated a new "model" number.

Saying I built a "Fender Deluxe" or "Tweed Deluxe" is less informative than saying I built a 5E3, because there are several chassis versions of the amp. The look of the amp may have remained the same , but the chassis models progressed. After the 5E3 the amp had a tremolo circuit added, and was designated a 6G3. Fender still sold it as the "Deluxe".

So if someone says they built a 5E3 (Deluxe), 5F1 (Champ) or a 5F6 (Bassman), we all know just what version of the amp was built.

That help?

Last edited by LeroyBlues; March 31st, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
LeroyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

According to Weber, replacement for Chicago Jensens, CTS, and Oxford speakers.
t-luxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyBlues View Post
Toppscore - I built a 5e3 and I've built a 5f1 also, as my post stated. In my case I sourced all the parts, and built the two amps. So they're not original fender tweed amps, rebuilds or kits. I'm not an expert on how fender determined their model designations, but it had something to do with the tube configuration and the version number, if I remember correctly. Fender "tweaked" their amp designs frequently, and every new version was designated a new "model" number. Saying I built a "Fender Deluxe" or "Tweed Deluxe" is less informative than saying I built a 5E3, because there are several chassis versions of the amp. The look of the amp may have remained the same , but the chassis models progressed. After the 5E3 the amp had a tremolo circuit added, and was designated a 6G3. Fender still sold it as the "Deluxe". So if someone says they built a 5E3 (Deluxe), 5F1 (Champ) or a 5F6 (Bassman), we all know just what version of the amp was built. That help?
Hi, LeroyBlues! That does help. Thanks. I think you and others
could still say, "I own/built a Tweed Deluxe clone 5E3 chassis".

Then dummies like me can relate to the Tweed Deluxe part and
understand you have NON-Fender hardware, but compatible.

I am going to purchase a chassis kit someday soon to learn
about soldering, multimeters, tubes, wiring, capacitor values,
resistor values, potentiometers and the whole shabang.
Therefore my interest.

By the way, I have a 5D6 amp. Without looking it up,
can you readily tell me what I own, and any details or history?
Probably not. Readers would not be able to discuss 5D6.
Too many acronyms . . . but fun learning them.

I cannot change the world, but thought it'd be fun
to share what us "UnKnowledgeables" don't know . . .
and for the writer to know that he might loose some readers.

Toppscore

Old April 1st, 2012, 04:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

if someone doesn't know what the 5D6 amp designation means, then he probably doesn't know a lot about the history and details of the amp either. Let me guess, it's an old Bassman, prior to the well-known 5F6A design?

Usually when I run across a designator that I don't recognize I reach for my reference books or do a search. Then I look over the schematic and read a little bit about the amp. It is the act of seeking information that helps me to learn and remember. Once I have looked one up and read a bit about it I usually remember the number and next time that number comes up I know what is being discussed.

for example, by typing 'Fender 5d6 amp' into my search bar I instantly found a very informative Wikipedia entry about the history of the Bassman, including this interesting bit:
Quote:
Before November 1954, no amplifier manufacturer and no speaker cabinet manufacturer had ever produced a product with four ten inch speakers. Now, classically known years later as the famous 4x10 amplifier or 4x10 speaker cabinet, the 1954 Fender 5D6 4x10 Bassman combo amp was an extreme radical design during the 1950s era and was the very first of its kind to have four ten inch speakers.

Understanding Early Bassman History: Most published Fender Bassman serial number charts do not include the 1954 Fender 5D6 4x10 Bassman, nor the early 1955 Fender "5D6-A Bassman. Most Fender history charts start with the 1952 & 1953 Fender 5B6 1x15 Bassmans and then jump to the 1955 Fender 5E6 4x10 Bassman. ...
so I was able to identify the amp, and now I learned something I didn't know about Bassman 4x10 amps.

But I agree that sometimes the acronyms get confusing, and it might help to add the model name.

(edit to add:) I read through the rest of that Wikipedia piece. If you have a 5D6 like the one described in the article you have a very rare and valuable amp!

Last edited by jhundt; April 1st, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhundt View Post
if someone doesn't know what the 5D6 amp designation means, then he probably doesn't know a lot about the history and details of the amp either. Let me guess, it's an old Bassman, prior to the well-known 5F6A design? Usually when I run across a designator that I don't recognize I reach for my reference books or do a search. Then I look over the schematic and read a little bit about the amp. It is the act of seeking information that helps me to learn and remember. Once I have looked one up and read a bit about it I usually remember the number and next time that number comes up I know what is being discussed.

For example, by typing 'Fender 5d6 amp' into my search bar I instantly found a very informative Wikipedia entry about the history of the Bassman, including this interesting bit:

"Before November 1954, no amplifier manufacturer and no speaker cabinet manufacturer had ever produced a product with four ten inch speakers. Now, classically known years later as the famous 4x10 amplifier or 4x10 speaker cabinet, the 1954 Fender 5D6 4x10 Bassman combo amp was an extreme radical design during the 1950s era and was the very first of its kind to have four ten inch speakers."

"Understanding Early Bassman History: Most published Fender Bassman serial number charts do not include the 1954 Fender 5D6 4x10 Bassman, nor the early 1955 Fender "5D6-A Bassman. Most Fender history charts start with the 1952 & 1953 Fender 5B6 1x15 Bassmans and then jump to the 1955 Fender 5E6 4x10 Bassman."

so I was able to identify the amp, and now I learned something I didn't know about Bassman 4x10 amps.

But I agree that sometimes the acronyms get confusing, and it might help to add the model name.
JHundt. Thanks for your response. You are absolutely correct that
researching is helpful towards growing. I did just that. And learned
a bit = 5E3 = Fender Deluxe.

Still would have to better understand the years, modification dates
and speaker configuration(s). But, if everytime someone wrote 5E3
and the two words, "Fender Deluxe" were close by, we'd learn more
quickly. Imagine if ALL Fender acronyms were prefaced with the
amp's name, we'd all learn quickly. Just sayin' IMHO

Takes time. Jumping out to research facts can be time consuming and
take away from the reader's focus/attention. Still, it's good to make an effort.

To me, it is similar as saying my amp is a 5E3.
Well, I drive a Chevy 327.

My 5E3 a Fender Deluxe original
My Chevy Nova 327 is original
and my Chevy Camero 327 is original
and my Chevy Corvette 327 is original
All Chevy 327's, but yet different. Right?

My 5E3 is a chassis kit installed in a 1966 Bandmaster head.
My 5E3 is a clone combo amp from Cloner Boutique Amps
My 5E3 is a Frankenstein of parts & components following a schematic

All are 5E3's, but as a reader, I'd like to preface it just a bit.

Still, to this very moment, we do not know anything about the original
poster's 5E3 or 5F1 amp's specifics nor what he has to compare with.
And, knowing would help determine the validity of his statements
or experience. Maybe help him sooner? Just sayin'

Thanks for adding to the discussion. Toppscore

Old April 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

good points Toppscore. It would certainly be easier to give advice in many cases if the poster would be more specific about his particular amp. I notice that often the first round of replies are requests for more specific information.

I generally assume that if the poster only refers to the Fender model number he either has that particular amp, or a modern reproduction/kit that follows the original design closely in an attempt to sound much like the original.

But of course that is just an assumption, and doesn't replace true knowledge of the amp in question. So I will vote in favor of your suggestion that posters be more explicit when describing the amp they are referring to.

Maybe we need a new set of acronyms to describe original, reproduction, kit, or self-sourced...
jhundt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhundt View Post
good points Toppscore. It would certainly be easier to give advice in many cases if the poster would be more specific about his particular amp. I notice that often the first round of replies are requests for more specific information.

I generally assume that if the poster only refers to the Fender model number he either has that particular amp, or a modern reproduction/kit that follows the original design closely in an attempt to sound much like the original.

But of course that is just an assumption, and doesn't replace true knowledge of the amp in question. So I will vote in favor of your suggestion that posters be more explicit when describing the amp they are referring to.

Maybe we need a new set of acronyms to describe original, reproduction, kit, or self-sourced...
No No No. Keep the acronyms ~ they are a blast.
Just sayin' to those "Acronymist types", please ADD a bit of detail so we'll all better enjoy your story.
. . . .or we will keep driving that 327 Chevy and keep you guessing which car it is
Toppscore

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

As I appreciate everyones opinions and time to respond to my post let me first say thank you for your time and responses, however if you read my original post ,it's not nearly as complicated question as your making it. I just wanted to know if anyone was using the Chicago vintage line in their 5e3 or 5f1 and if so what do you think of it. I've all ready read webers web site so I know what the speaker is intended for ,replacement for Chicago Jensen Oxford cts etc. Whether or not you have an original 57 or clone or whatever isn't what I wanted to get into, just if you have the speaker in one of those platforms and what you think,, again thanks for all the responses. josh
jkrischan is offline   Reply With Quote