best tube amp for taking pedals? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

best tube amp for taking pedals?

ive been looking at guitar amps (it feels like) forever. and im wondering whats the best tube amp for pedals. (mainly, but not only distortion pedals) the style of music i play is mainly rock

my fav bands are: led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, nirvana, red hot chili peppers, foo fighters, the rolling stones etc... you get the point

here are my requirements:

1.must be tube
2.be no more than a thousand
3.have nice cleans
4.must take pedals well
5.weight under 70 lbs
6.be somewhat versatile to cover the bands listed above

-im willing to buy used
-stacks or combos work it doesnt matter to me

thanks alot everyone

iluvledzepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, I've never net an amp that couldn't take pedals well. I've had a Tiny Terror, Ac15, twins, blues JRs, a Princeton. Never had problems with pedals before. I say find an amp you like the clean sound from and buy it, chances are it will be just fine.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Twin Reverb, Hot Rod DeVille
ASC67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

if you're pretty firm on the weight restrictions (i am too) a super reverb or twin reverb chassis can easily be put into a head cabinet and drive 2x12 or 4x10 cabs.

i get great jimi tone with my twin reverb on the marshall 2x12 slant cab with a tiny bit of distortion from an od3 or fulltone 69....even with my twisted tele equipped thinline...
we also cover the chili peppers, led zep, the who, and the stones...my rig has never disappointed me in the tone department..

make sure you try different speakers because they make a world of difference in the tone quest....just imho

the little super champ xd is a pretty amazing little unit that you can mic into the p.a., if you want to save your ducats.

also, the prosonic is a pretty bitchin' little amp, and versatile too, but it does have some printed circuitry in it

Last edited by maryjane; March 23rd, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: sp
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The op described a Twin Reverb to a tee.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Matchless CAN NOT take pedals well.
All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking itís pretty damn complicated in the first place......"D.Adams"
uriah1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
if you're pretty firm on the weight restrictions (i am too) a super reverb or twin reverb chassis can easily be put into a head cabinet and drive 2x12 or 4x10 cabs.
Don't do this unless it's a reissue. It makes me so sad when I see a vintage fender butchered like that. That's just my opinion. As for amps, you should look at the Fender Blues Deluxe. You said you use pedals, and the BD has two channels. Clean and OD, then you can add pedals to boost the OD channel, and one for the clean channel. The BD is great for pedals. And it looks cool too. You just got to love that tweed.
jebbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Matchless CAN NOT take pedals well.
Not my experience at ALL. Both of the Matchless amps I owned took pedals great. I've owned a Chieftan and a DC30. I have a friend right now who gigs a lightning, sounds killer with an OCD.

To the OP: There is no such thing as an amp that doesn't take pedals well. There are some amps that don't like certain kinds of pedals. You may find that a dirt box that works great on one amp, may not sound so good on another, so you try a different dirt box, that's all.

I've owned so many amps, the amp gods lost count. never met one yet, be it tube, SS, digital, whatever, that wouldn't take pedals well. Not one. You might have to experiment to figure out what pedals work best with ANY amp, but it can definitely be done.
Jakedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Super Reverb...great clean is like a blank slate for a good pedal...

20% off at GC or go used. 65 lbs.
Maxwell Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

None of my tube amps ever took any of my pedals. They were all still where I left them when I started.
alnicopu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnicopu View Post
None of my tube amps ever took any of my pedals. They were all still where I left them when I started.
Mother Superior says open your hands and hold them out.

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
Mother Superior says open your hands and hold them out.
those cargo pockets are perfect for holding rulers...brass knuckles...etc
Maxwell Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbo View Post
Don't do this unless it's a reissue. It makes me so sad when I see a vintage fender butchered like that. That's just my opinion. As for amps, you should look at the Fender Blues Deluxe. You said you use pedals, and the BD has two channels. Clean and OD, then you can add pedals to boost the OD channel, and one for the clean channel. The BD is great for pedals. And it looks cool too. You just got to love that tweed.
Why is it a butcher? your not hurting the original cab if you take out the chassis and put in into a head cab. Save the old cab in case you want to put it back original or better yet use it as a 2x12 cab. It will cut the weight a lot putting the chassis in a head configuration and then using the cab as a speaker cab.
jh45gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post

i get great jimi tone with my twin reverb on the marshall 2x12 slant cab with a tiny bit of distortion from an od3 or fulltone 69....even with my twisted tele equipped thinline...
we also cover the chili peppers, led zep, the who, and the stones...my rig has never disappointed me in the tone department..

make sure you try different speakers because they make a world of difference in the tone quest....just imho

the little super champ xd is a pretty amazing little unit that you can mic into the p.a., if you want to save your ducats.

also, the prosonic is a pretty bitchin' little amp, and versatile too, but it does have some printed circuitry in it
what speaker do you suggestfor those genres
iluvledzepp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
Why is it a butcher? your not hurting the original cab if you take out the chassis and put in into a head cab. Save the old cab in case you want to put it back original or better yet use it as a 2x12 cab. It will cut the weight a lot putting the chassis in a head configuration and then using the cab as a speaker cab.
Ok, that makes sense. As long as you keep the original cab and speakers, I guess it would be fine. I've seen people do some horrible things to vintage fenders, so I don't realy consider even touching my BF SR. I just play through it the way it is. (Also lug it to gigs the way it is.)
jebbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmynumber9 View Post
IMHO, I've never net an amp that couldn't take pedals well. I've had a Tiny Terror, Ac15, twins, blues JRs, a Princeton. Never had problems with pedals before. I say find an amp you like the clean sound from and buy it, chances are it will be just fine.
I'm with you, man. That whole "takes pedals well" is the most meaningless phrase on guitar forums.

Music and other photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgunsher/sets/
greggorypeccary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I'm a little biased, but the Sovtek Mig 50 takes pedals incredibly well. Nice clean tones that are very dynamic depending on how hard you're pickin'. You can find one for around 300-500 on eBay or Craigslist. It sounds incredible when it's boosted or if you put some od or dirt on it.

http://noisetrade.com/giftworship
Justin_D_Myers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmynumber9 View Post
Anything grid leak "doesn't take pedals well". That's anything Supro and most pre-'55 amps. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me their Supro is it with pedals.

The answer to the OP's original question was "Marshall, Marshall, Marshall." The hassle with big Marshalls is unless you're playin' stadiums you're not gonna use much of it.

I'd say "Peavey Windsor". Marshall-ish, dirt cheap for what it is. I can get into a used Windsor half-stack for under $500. Don't feel like luggin' a half stack? Hit me up for my Universal Extension Speaker Cabinet. It's supposed to ride in the front seat of a small Toyota. Try that with a 4x12"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbo View Post
Preserve a vintage amp, butcher a vintage amp!

Say you have an original '65 Super Reverb. It's a big ol' hog of an amp. It's an easy swaparoo to pop the Super chassis out and stick it in another cabinet. The wear and tear on your original cabinet stops because it doesn't go on the road.

I'd go one further and swap on a repro faceplate. Stick the original in the bottom of my underwear drawer.

I can go back to original any time. Good luck to anyone who steals the amp, it ain't worth much because it's not "original". The changes make the amp easy to identify especially when I discreetly mark the repro parts.

Old March 24th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
---------------------------
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muchxs View Post
Anything grid leak "doesn't take pedals well". That's anything Supro and most pre-'55 amps. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me their Supro is it with pedals.
Yep. GLB front ends hate being hammered with a hot signal. And they sound fine without any boost/distortion pedals. Time based pedals work fine.

This "takes pedals well" thing just drives me batpoop.
fezz parka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
Yep. GLB front ends hate being hammered with a hot signal. And they sound fine without any boost/distortion pedals. Time based pedals work fine.

This "takes pedals well" thing just drives me batpoop.
"Takes pedals well." That's why I suggest a 4x12". See, there's enough room to hide a little person in your 4x12". I'll give you "takes pedals well!" My little sidekick (who lives in your speaker cabinet) is so good at takin' your pedals I'm gonna open a hock shop.

Just about everything makes me crazy (including lettuce and granola bars. I can't stand lettuce on my granola bars.) but not "takes pedals well". My head does the translation to "clean tone w/ very high input impedance".