JBL k110 original cone code? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

JBL k110 original cone code?

Hey guys,

I am looking at some K110's on the dreaded online market and I am trying to determine whather the cones are original factory installed, recone JBL's, or aftermarket/generics.

Does anyone know what codes are usually on JBL K110 alnico 10" speakers from the factory? The ones I am looking at have white ink stamps:

29798-201 on one speaker, and 29795 on the other.

Seems a bit odd one has extra digits, but the look like JBL I have seen (21057 e.g.)

I believe D110's often have no stamp, as the white ink stamps were originally added by the manufacturer of the cone, not JBL. Recent JBL recone kits often have stickers with a code on them I believe.

Perhaps someone has a different recommendation for an efficient 10" alnico speaker for crystal cleans and milder overdrive? I love most the Jbl's I have tried in Fenders, but this is for a closed back cab which may respond more harshly to the unforgiving JBL models.

tatittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

bump

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Poster Extraordinaire

I moved this thread into the correct forum; maybe you'll get an answer here. But you might want to give it more than three hours -- it's a message board, not a live chat, and not everyone visits every day. Best of luck, CS

"It was born at the junction of form and function." Bill Kirchen, from "Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods"
Chris S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Tatittle
Perhaps someone has a different recommendation for an efficient 10" alnico speaker for crystal cleans and milder overdrive? I love most the Jbl's I have tried in Fenders, but this is for a closed back cab which may respond more harshly to the unforgiving JBL models.

Eminence Red Fang 10 AlNiCo is a close cousin-in-tone to the Celestion Blue. Tone friendly and compresson is nothing but A#1. Genz Benz developed a 3x10 version of the Black Pearl, using these speakers. Unique British voicing, a large alnico magnet, smooth distortion and rich harmonics.

Red Fang 10 AlniCo...........10.........102.1 dB

Power rating: ............................ 50 Watts RMS
Useable frequency range: .............70Hz to 4.5kHz
Magnet weight: ......................... 35 oz. Alnico
Voice Coil diameter: ....................1.8"
Frame: .................................... Stamped Steel
Impedance ............................... 8 ohm
Application.................................Open or Closed Back cabinets
Low End Response.......................Aggressive
Low End Shape...........................Chunky
Mid-Range Response....................Moderate
Mid-Range Shape........................Warm
High-End Response......................Aggressive
Break-up Modes..........................Medium
Instrument.................................Lead/Rhythm Guitar
Genre........................................Briti sh Rock and Blues, Country and Jazz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eminence Red Fang AlNiCo 10.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	118588  
Attached Images

StephaninMelb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the recommendation and transfer.

I am not too familiar with Eminence speakers...and going a more rounder British style may be a good switch from the other cabs/speakers I have.

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I own and use JBL K110's in three different amps. They can be edgy and unforgiving in a closed back cabinet. They're wonderful for clean mid-drivers for electric bass with a tube amp.

They also sound pretty great when driven by a 6w class A SE amp like a Champ. IMO, the accuracy and precision of the JBL seems to somewhat counteract the typical flabbiness of the SE Champ design.
CoolBlueGlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks CoolBlue. I love the D208 in my Tweed Princeton (SE 1 x 6V6) and I have one that needs a repair cued up for my SF Champ as well.

Are the cones original on any of your K110's? And would it be convenient for you to peek at the back of them and see if there are any codes stamped on the back of the actual paper of the cone?

I am looking to stock a vintage Tremolux cabinet. It is a 2 x 10" standard, but I am not sure I wouldn't like a modification into a 2 x 12" better; maybe even a 1 x 15" - although the dimensions make that iffy.

I am not sure how the smaller dimensions (vs. Bassman/Bandmaster) would affect the performance either.

I am not satisfied with the reconed ceramic Oxford 10L5's sound in it now. I put some light dut Rola alnico's in it which improves low volume tone. But I think open back may be better for small rooms and lighter duty applications.

Any experience and wisdom on vintage Fender piggyback cabinets is gretaly appreciated...