Best Peavey Transtube version? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Best Peavey Transtube version?

I have a USA made red stripe...I'm wondering how the other earlier or later versions compare.

schenkadere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I think it depends on your style and the guitars you use.

The TT 1 silver stripe amps seem more closely related to the teal stripe super sat amps. They have the thrash switch and seem to have a more compressed OD that works well with more aggressive styles, they are also in more retangular cabs, and some feel they can hear the difference in front to back sound wave inter action. There are some who actualy prefer the super sat amps to the TTs.
I'm not one of them finding the TS amps harsh sounding on OD, compared to the TT1 and I feel the silver stripes are a big improvement on cleans, almost as good as the old saturation amps.

The red stripes have the vintage position on the voicing switch, and that works well with single coils for cleaner playing, of course you also get the modern setting.

There are some who prefer the delta badged red stripe amps, and others who feel there is little difference between the various versions, I'm in the later camp but everyone has different ways of using and hearing gear.

I haven't played any of the Chinese amps so I can't comment on those.
Warm Gums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
I have a USA made red stripe...I'm wondering how the other earlier or later versions compare.
I have a made in USA Bandit 65 (1986 model), and a newer made in China Bandit 112. To be honest, I really like both of them. The older Bandit has the Scorpion speaker, cleans are warm and really good. The newer Bandit had a Blue Marvel which was kind of average. I replaced it with an Eminence V128 and now it sounds much better.

I'm happy with both of them, but if I had to choose one it would be the newer Bandit. It has more ways to customize your sound, a speaker simulated output to run into a board, and an external speaker jack so you can plug into a cab. It's just a good sounding, useful amp. Oh yeah, this sucker is LOUD, especially with a cab!
el cheapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Good thread.

I used to have a Transtube, I don't recall the version.. but it was awesome and I was stupid to let it go.. I want to get another one someday, just a simple 1x12 combo. I can put in a much better speaker easy enough. The clean channel on those, cranked up a bit, was very sweet. I'm a believer that the most recent versions of modeling amps are the best. That Peavey Bandit 112 looks real nice.

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I'm partial to the newer version (had the first TT model, didn't like it at all).
Warren Pederson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I don't recall reading a lucid description of changes made along the way to Transtube Bandits though there is a lot of currency in stripe color as making a difference out on the internet. I know that people love their MIC Bandits - esp if they aren't encumbered in their appreciation by country of origin or stripe colors.

I have a couple of USA TT Bandits and think they're great. I wouldn't sweat minor schematic changes. Someone mentioned that they would change out their Sheffield speaker: why? They're fine. Peavey knows what they're doing.

A partial copy and paste from the Peavey forum thread "History and Timeline of the Peavey Bandit":

Solo Series Bandit 112

(1989-1995) The Solo Series Bandit 112 introduced many new features, the most notable being an increase in power to 80 watts RMS and a choice between Peavey's Scorpion speaker and Peavey's newly introduced Sheffield speaker. Many of the innovations that would later be branded as "Transtube" were included in the Solo Series Bandit 112, but the name "Transtube" had not been adopted yet. There have been several different versions of the Solo Series Bandit 112 but they all share the same manual and the same control layout. One of the more popular variations is known as the "Teal Stripe" or "Blue Stripe" Bandit due to a blue horizontal stripe below the control panel. The Solo Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA.

Transtube Series Bandit 112

(1995-1999) The Transtube Series Bandit 112 formally introduced Peavey's proprietary "Transtube" technology that allows a solid state amplifier to perform more like a vacuum tube amplifier. Central to the Transtube concept is a patented "power brake" that allows the user to control the amount of power required for dynamic range compression from the power amp, from 100% all the way down to 10%, thus enabling the amplifier to acheive power amp compression without running at full volume. The Transtube Series Bandit 112 was made in Meridian MS USA and came stock with the Sheffield 1230 speaker. Notably, it was also the first Bandit to have an external speaker jack, allowing external speakers to be run instead of or in parallel with the internal speaker. Running into 8 ohms, power is still 80 watts RMS, but running into 4 ohms (the equivalent of using the internal 8 ohm speaker together with an 8 ohm extension speaker) the power is increased to 100 watts RMS. Due to the horizontal strip of chrome underneath the controls, this version is commonly referred to as the "Silver Stripe" Bandit, but due to the black color and square shape, it is sometimes called the "Blackbox" Bandit (not to be confused with "Blackface", which refers to F*nder products and/or performances in the style of Al Jolson...)

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in USA

(2000-2004) With the Transtube Series II, the metal corners and input jacks that had been standard on all Peavey Bandits up until this time were replaced by plastic corners and plastic jacks. Due to a color scheme incorporating a red stripe across the front of the amplifier, many people refer to the Transtube Series II Bandit as the "Redstripe Bandit". During this time Peavey attempted to adopt a new company logo, and moved away from their traditional "pointy" logo. The new logo came to be known as the "Block Logo". The Block Logo was only used for a limited period of time, and the Block Logo Redstripe Bandits represent the last Peavey Bandits to be made in the USA.

Transtube Series II Bandit 112 Made in China

(2004-2005) This amp is cosmetically nearly identical to the USA version, so it is also referred to as "Redstripe Bandit", but there are several differences between the US built Redstripes and the Chinese ones. First, the Chinese version says, "Designed in the USA" on the front, while the actual USA version says "Designed and Made in the USA". Second, the speaker in the Chinese version is either unlabelled, or is labelled "Blue Marvel", a Peavey code for speakers made outside of Peavey and then rebranded as Peavey. All of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped from the factory with US made Sheffield 1230 speakers. Another obvious difference is that all Chinese Redstripe Bandits have the "pointy logo", while most - but not all - of the USA Redstripe Bandits shipped with Block Logos.

Peavey Bandit with Transtube Technology

(2006-current) The current version of the Bandit is made in China. It is the first Bandit to incorporate a "simulated output" for recording purposes. This simulated output runs independently of the amp's internal speaker, allowing silent recording. The simulated output can also be used instead of or in addition to a traditional microphone. In this version the spring reverb has been replaced by a digital reverb circuit, and the 10% to 100% T. Dynamics knob is replaced by a 3-way switch, allowing operation at 25%, 50%, and 100% power. Metal corners are reintroduced, but the footswitch is no longer included with the amp and must be purchased separately.
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have a '94 teal stripe with a Scorpion speaker. I've played through various older and newer versions. I still like the sound of my teal stripe best. I never really cared for the Sheffield speakers, to each his own.

Bought it new in '94 and it's worked perfectly every time I've plugged it in. I have tube amps also, but the old Peavey still gets some use.
SPUDCASTER is online now   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I have 4 older Peavey amps, 7 12" Scorpion speakers.
I turned a Classic Chorus with 2 Scorpions into a stand alone cabinet,I also have a mid 70s
Peavey Artist 240 that somewhere in time the original speaker was replaced with a JBL K 120 12" speaker which by the way sounds great in the Artist
I've been hooked on Scorpion speakers ever since I started playing guitar many years ago,
I could tell just by picking up the amp if Scorpions were in it by the weight,each speaker weighs about 12lbs,needless to say,I don't lug these amps around anymore.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

does anyone know if there is much of a sound quality difference between the peavey envoy 110 and the bandit 112 transtube models?
i recently got an envoy from sweetwater and while the clean channel was very nice, the distortion/overdrive options were all very blah, muddy and the amp fed back really bad even with the volume between 1 and 2. i have a hunch it's because of the 10 inch speaker but i wanted to get some opinions before i exchange it for the bandit.
curt mcgirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt mcgirt View Post
does anyone know if there is much of a sound quality difference between the peavey envoy 110 and the bandit 112 transtube models?
i recently got an envoy from sweetwater and while the clean channel was very nice, the distortion/overdrive options were all very blah, muddy and the amp fed back really bad even with the volume between 1 and 2. i have a hunch it's because of the 10 inch speaker but i wanted to get some opinions before i exchange it for the bandit.
I have always liked the Envoy as a great small gig amp for its cleans, mild od , or low volume distortion in the studio,but like most budget 1x10 combos it's really not suited for high volume on stage Distortion work, most 1x10 simply have too small and light a box & inexpensive a speaker to play with a solid distortion sound at a high SPL's it is important to keep the bass down as your volume goes up, and it is often helpful to roll the guitar volume down a bit, as you add more gain to the amp, and you could always try a speaker swap, but the best solution if you want to play with a drummer etc. at gig volumes is a solid 1x12 50 watt or better combo. The Bandit should be cool .
Warm Gums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Mine is red stripe and says made in USA but has the pointy logo. I liked the idea of a pick up and go amp. The EFX has all the effects you could need including reverb and tap tempo delay...it's light...pretty solid...pretty loud.

Lately it just hasn't been doing it for me. I use mainly humbuckers and I really don't dig the cleans so much any more...plus the lead channel is really, meh...be it vintage/modern/high gain.

I'm a long time Peavey fan and have had many of their offerings over the years...Classic VTX, Artist VTX, Special 150, Bravo, Express 112, Delta Blues 210. I don't want to give up on this amp, but I don't really love it enough to spend a lot on a speaker or pedals to "fix" what isn't doing it for me.

I want to stay solid state...and would like to stick with Peavey...that's why I was hoping this thread would give me an idea of the offerings in the TT family.

Does anyone else have issues with the Blue Marvel speakers? I really didn't like them in my DB 210 either. Maybe a speaker change in the EFX may make all the difference...idk?

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1 View Post
I have 4 older Peavey amps, 7 12" Scorpion speakers.
I turned a Classic Chorus with 2 Scorpions into a stand alone cabinet,I also have a mid 70s
Peavey Artist 240 that somewhere in time the original speaker was replaced with a JBL K 120 12" speaker which by the way sounds great in the Artist
I've been hooked on Scorpion speakers ever since I started playing guitar many years ago,
I could tell just by picking up the amp if Scorpions were in it by the weight,each speaker weighs about 12lbs,needless to say,I don't lug these amps around anymore.
I was always happy with the good old Scorpions.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenkadere View Post
I was always happy with the good old Scorpions.
Be on the look out for a Bandit 65 they are hard to beat .
ASC67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC67 View Post
Be on the look out for a Bandit 65 they are hard to beat .
They are nice...such a workhorse.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I've also got a Peavey KB60 (clean keyboard amp). Peavey is about to release a new iPod/iPad guitar-in device which, like many others, will work with Ampkit (the iPod/iPad app). I look forward to playing the Ampkit through they keyboard amp and, in the end, maybe that's the way to go! (Ampkit includes some Peavey models)

Just to complicate things,
Greg

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Meister

Nice Thread.
I have a 98 blackbox (sheffield). Still works fine.

This amp raises so many questions for me - like.

That 10~100% knob - does 100% mean its ON or OFF?

Also do you ever use the dirt channel?
I have only ever used the clean channel and put a multi-fx in front of it. Cos the dir channel sounds cool when the 1st vol is around 7 but anything else sounds not so good?

Perhaps - Ive been using it wrong all these years?

Whats your fav dirt channel settings on your Bandit to compare?
Beazs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beazs View Post
Nice Thread.
I have a 98 blackbox (sheffield). Still works fine.

This amp raises so many questions for me - like.

That 10~100% knob - does 100% mean its ON or OFF?

Also do you ever use the dirt channel?
I have only ever used the clean channel and put a multi-fx in front of it. Cos the dir channel sounds cool when the 1st vol is around 7 but anything else sounds not so good?

Perhaps - Ive been using it wrong all these years?

Whats your fav dirt channel settings on your Bandit to compare?
The 100% means it's at full power...counter clockwise is "decreasing the wattage".

Mine isn't a Bandit but essentially the same...my dirt channel offers vintage/modern/high gain...I don't like any of them...they don't do low or high gain well...medium is less than meh to my ears.

My reverb is digital and it's pretty bad...is that the same on all transtubes?

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

US made Envoy here. And I do mean here, as in at my feet while I type. Great clean toned practic amp, I used it for slide with good results. . The reverb died and I put in an old big can from a 60s Gibson amp; total mismatch but it produced otherworldly 'verb.

I used the cabinet to house a tweed Prince chassis. So anyone want the Peavey head cheap?

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The 10% setting is, indeed, lower power with the purpose of getting the transtube effect at a lower volume level. So, you could say keep it at 10% and only increase it if you need more volume.

Funny what you say wrt the lead channel: for sure, Peavey aims at the metal market . .. I use the pre-gain below noon. I have od pedals, too - sometimes together, they're a good effect. I am not able to evaluate the full-on distortion.

Spring reverb on my 3 peavey's with reverb. It's fine. I think spring reverb is over-rated, though! I prefer good digital reverb. Now, there are digi-reverb pedals that emulate the "sprong" of the spring reverb. Whatever.

Even if a PV Transtube of some kind isn't one's end-all amplifier solution, people should be grabbing them as they are sound, reliable, loud combo systems and, as rhythmncaster was referring to above, you may find yourself playing through modelers very soon.

Greg

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Coal View Post
... as rhythmncaster was referring to above, you may find yourself playing through modelers very soon.

Greg
Uhhh...what are you talking about? No one named "rhythmncaster" has participated in this thread. Nor has anyone commented on "playing through modelers very soon." Are you perhaps thinking of something someone else said in some other thread?

And my questioning this is not to say that I disagree with your general suggestion about grabbing up a Peavey TT amp. I have a couple myself, and want more.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote