Anyone play a new Quilter MicroPro 200 amp ? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Anyone play a new Quilter MicroPro 200 amp ?

I've been a lurker here for a few years. Lots of good information.
Joined in June and finally have a question.

Pat Quilter built the QSC power amp company and has now returned to building guitar amps. The MicroPro 200 is his initial offering.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/products/...ifications.htm

I've seen a few references to these amps in the last few weeks, but no reviews. There was a mention of them in the solid state amp thread.

Has anyone here tried it out ?

I have a Fender VVRI but would like a smaller, but still good sounding American made amp.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Demo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Demo View Post
I've been a lurker here for a few years...
I've seen a few references to these amps in the last few weeks, but no reviews. There was a mention of them in the solid state amp thread.

Has anyone here tried it out ?

I have a Fender VVRI but would like a smaller, but still good sounding American made amp.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark. Chris Parks from Quilter. Saw your note and thought I would share.

Although we don't have an extensive catalog of endorsees, we really believe in the common player over paying people money to make ourselves sound like something we are not. We do our best to support the communities of guitarists and their events so although you won't see us in big magazines, you will see us out at events sponsoring the communities that make the music for the love of it.

Here are a few spots on the web where real people have experienced their thoughts.

Mason Stoops session guitarist:
http://youtu.be/HKx9m6oxr_E

Surf Guitarists forum:
http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/16098/?page=3

Heritage owners club:
http://www.heritageownersclub.com/fo...-micropro-200/

"Mad Max" Kominsky:
http://youtu.be/KDPqizdoW8A

Of course I would always recommend a Quilter, but I prefer to let happy people say so for themselves. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will forward you some of our reviews from our first customers.

Pleasure to meet you and hope to get a chance to know you.

-chris
chrisparks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, very nicely laid out control panel. Thoughtful design! I kind of wish it was available as a compact head also..... I'd love to pair it some of my bigger cabinets. Thanks for bringing this model up.
EHX Hum Debugger > Barber TonePress > Fulltone MDV-3 > Bixonic Expandora > Q-modded BudWah > XP300 Space Station > Fulltone SupaTrem > Keeley AD9 > Express XT Looper > Peterson StroboStomp > ISP Decimator > Fulltone TruePath ABY > The Amps....
eugenedunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old February 6th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

$900 .
gitold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitold View Post
$900 .
From what I can tell, it's a complete amp solution with built-in tremolo and reverb. Also, for now, they're including a fairly functional footswitch in the price.

No DSP, all analog; but no description of the current warranty. I think it's definitely a boutique solid state guitar amplifier. More of a Swiss army knife than a one trick pony (sorry for the mixed metaphors!). I think it's great.

Greg
Greg.Coal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Coal View Post
From what I can tell, it's a complete amp solution with built-in tremolo and reverb. Also, for now, they're including a fairly functional footswitch in the price.

No DSP, all analog; but no description of the current warranty. I think it's definitely a boutique solid state guitar amplifier. More of a Swiss army knife than a one trick pony (sorry for the mixed metaphors!). I think it's great.

Greg
Sorry mate it was under the support section. (Thanks for the feedback.)
In a nutshell, it is a limited transferable 3 warranty.
http://www.quilterlabs.com/support/warranty.htm
Don't be afraid to ask if you have other questions.
chrisparks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Wow, cool looking amp.
gwjensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Yep. I want one!
Ben Furman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just downloaded all the audio clips, playing them in shuffle mode.
Makes me want one.
Don't know if I can I wait for a sale...
Getfrettin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Very Interesting .....
I used to own a Quilter bass amp
with four big power transistors and an 18" folded horn cab.
Loud and a big heavy speaker. I bought it from the group Wildfire in the 70's
Never had one problem with the amp.
Good to see the Quilter name again. This new one should be a rugged amp
Shoalbilly
shoalbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I ended up ordering a Quilter Labs Micropro 200 and it was delivered on February 15. Chris Parks was very responsive to questions before and after the purchase, and I received an e-mail reply almost immediately from someone in shipping when I was tracking the delivery.

Great sounds. Cool looking front panel with a friendly layout of control pots. Well built cabinet, yet still extremely light in weight. The footswitch controller too, although the use of RJ45 connectors for the cable connections has me wondering when the first tab will break off. High quality leather handle and a power cord with a lock-in-place plug.

Haven't had a humbucker equipped guitar to try it out with, but a Tele with Nocasters has been super using mostly the FullQ and Tweed settings of Channel 2. There are a lot of different sounds to play with here.
The 8" speaker is amazing, but I have used it only at home and never more than at a little less than 1/2 volume.

I've tried four different acoustic pickups into the Channel 1 Mic/Line input -
A Baggs M1, a Sunrise, a Godin Nylon string Multiac with RMC pickups and the OP24 in a 90's era Ovation. All benefit from the use of a pre-amp. The Godin is especially nice.

My only gripe - the tremelo should have another control to smooth it out. The tremelo sounds good when used along with the reverb (which is very nice on its own), but I did not care for it when used alone, even at very low settings. I'm probably spoiled by the sound of my Vibroverb RI.

The addition of a headphone output would be a nice touch too. Would have made this the perfect home amp for me, but I'm keeping it anyways !

I'm very happy with the combination of great sound, quality design and build, and reasonable size and weight.
Mark Demo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2012, 12:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the review!
Ben Furman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Tele-Afflicted

Very interesting. I've been using QSC USA-series power amps going on 20 years now for my bass rig. I have three, and two of them were just laying about as the first one never failed.

I took one of them and hitched it up to an M80 preamp (I wanted an all-American made SS rig and have largely succeeded, save for three pedals) and that's been my guitar gigging rig for a while now. Super tone in every respect. Yeah, 300 watts per side is ridiculous overkill, but I don't even run it at a fraction of full volume.

These folks know how to make a reliable and great sounding amp. I'm glad that they're in the guitar amp making business and I'm sure they'll do well.

HINT: I'm about to go check your website, but if you're not doing it already, make a bass amp. Bass players already know QSC and are a lot more open to using solid state amps than guitar players.
Arbiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've just ordered a MicroPro. Looking forward to putting it through its paces--the online demos I've heard sound really good.
jfinester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Just got the head version, and I am impressed. Been playing solid state for a very long time, and this is just about the best. Have used all of the top brands. Nice to have a clean channel with an honest 100 watts. Some from 100 to 150 watts seen to be: dirty channel 100 watts, clean channel 15 or so. Also this amp has a very smooth and organic sounding overdrive. Not choppy or raggity like most SS ods. The best digital reverb I've heard also. Nothing bad to say about it so far.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Pat Quilter has hit a home run with the MicroPro 200! I have the 8" combo, the 12" extension cab and now the 12" combo. I have the 6-button footswitch and the 2-button footswitch. The Quilter team is world-class with responsive customer service. This amp is a real breakthrough in volume, tone, size and weight. And, it costs less than most of the 'boutique' 15-watt amps.

I should add that i have had 11 Mesa Boogies (still have a Lone Star), Fender Twins, Lab Series, Roland Cubes, Music Man RD100 and RP65, Rivera; Fender Bassman tweed, 135, piggy-back; several Weber kits, Peaveys galore, several custom rigs where I built an effects processor and a plate amp into a combo.

What's important for me now is high headroom, light weight, limiter, reverb, compensated DI and great tone. The Quilter delivers. All the other amps were fun but the Quilter is a keeper.
spangler41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

btt

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I was down in Santa Ana the other week and rather than face the deadly and dispiriting traffic of evening rush hour back to LA, I pulled off of the 5 Freeway when I saw signs for a guitar store (Jim's Guitars) where they had among their other offerings (a fine selection of guitars and amps btw) what looked like to me the entire Quilter line. An over eager sales guy was more than happy to let me satisfy my curiosity about the Quilters' and unfortunately he seemed to be channeling the ghost of Leo Fender himself because as I played he began to massively fiddle around with the controls (which was something Leo used to do to local musicians during their actual gigs if they were using his gear in the super early days of Fender) which I didn't necessarily like but did give me a feel for both the variety of sounds the Quilter is capable of and how incredibly loud they can be (how many times in your life have you been trying out an amp and/or guitar in a music store and you have to tell the sales guy to turn it down? For me it was a first).
First off I should tell you that I am tube amp guy, I've owned a Dumble Modded Twin since 83 and I also have a Vox AC-30 and a small Airline/Valco low watt 1x12 combo so I have a good idea of what good amp tone sounds like. That said my impression was that the Quilter is a really good and really versatile amp. The sounds were warm and "organic" and lacked the dreaded sterility of sound that is the usual hallmark of Solid State amps. Are they as good as a tube amp? Well that's subjective but I am not rushing to sell my gear and replace it with Quilters, but then again I have good gear that works for me. I think a better question is how does the Quilter stack up against say Line 6 and Tech 21, and my impression (not having played the latest generation Line 6 amps) is that the Quilters are within the same ballpark, which is a good place to be. Hope this long winded essay is of any use to anyone.
kedj11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Im sure its a nice amp, but ill pass for $900 on a ss amp.For $900 you could get a really nice tube amp.
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I agree to an extent

But, I am still very open and interested.

Tech 21's aint cheap, and they're not micro.

I have played the ZT Lunchbox and thought it sounded terrible