Telecaster Guitar Forum

Telecaster Guitar Forum (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amp Central Station (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/)
-   -   Brought my SF twin out of mothballs last week (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-central-station/304710-brought-my-sf-twin-out-mothballs-last-week.html)

sandman72202 December 19th, 2011 03:15 PM

Brought my SF twin out of mothballs last week

been playing my twin off and on all week with my other amps, ive had the twin almost the longest
my main amps

Lil' Dawg deluxe with a little bigger OP section going through a jensen P15
with that i have a matching jbl D130 i run with it

kalamazoo reverb 12 with a vintage jensen 10 in it

the more i play them all and a/b them
i'm wondering why i ever bought an amp after the twin.
the others sound great.....but the twin...even in a small room and turned low....just has a presence that the others can;t touch.
it fills the room and is so touch sensitive.

the more i play it the more i feel its the best amp i've ever played

never gonna get rid of that thing

Merry Christmas all

:)

robt57 December 19th, 2011 03:20 PM

"i'm wondering why i ever bought an amp after the twin."

weight ?

Paul in Colorado December 19th, 2011 04:21 PM

Even if you're a bit of a bodybuilder, a Twin has some serious weight. They sure sound good though!

onlybrowning December 19th, 2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul in Colorado
Even if you're a bit of a bodybuilder, a Twin has some serious weight. They sure sound good though!

If you are a bit of a bodybuilder it is still heavy, but if you carry a handtruck in your cargo shorts it ain't too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

sandman72202 December 19th, 2011 06:18 PM

well..the twin stays at home....and im not gigging with it except for here....we do record sometimes
but just soundwise....its the best sounding thing in the house....and we have a large variety between the two of us

Middleman December 19th, 2011 06:48 PM

I have an 81 Vibrolux that I feel the same way about.

jh45gun December 19th, 2011 07:12 PM

A cart saves your back and why would any one leave their best sounding amp at home when you want to sound your best gigging. The Twin has a bad rap with this weight BS. I have posted the weights before and even a Bandit is well over 40 pounds. Other amps are heavier than the Twin yet only amp I see complaints about is the twin which is just nuts.

gatimberframer December 19th, 2011 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandman72202 (Post 3789667)
been playing my twin off and on all week with my other amps, ive had the twin almost the longest
my main amps

Lil' Dawg deluxe with a little bigger OP section going through a jensen P15
with that i have a matching jbl D130 i run with it

kalamazoo reverb 12 with a vintage jensen 10 in it

the more i play them all and a/b them
i'm wondering why i ever bought an amp after the twin.
the others sound great.....but the twin...even in a small room and turned low....just has a presence that the others can;t touch.
it fills the room and is so touch sensitive.

the more i play it the more i feel its the best amp i've ever played

never gonna get rid of that thing

Merry Christmas all

:)

That's funny -- I have a 75 or 6 TR that I feel the same way about. Dad-gum that twin sounds good. I keep coming back to it and wondering why I left.

twangplank December 19th, 2011 08:01 PM

I'm no body builder but I loooooove twins! The amp that is.

I had a 74 with jbls that was fantastic and I'm wondering why I sold it. I agree it just filled the stage in a way no other fender amp does. And our bass player kind of is a bodybuilder.

Its heavy but our subs aren't light and we use FOUR OF THEM on outdoor gigs. Our mains are also very heavy and we also have FOUR OF THEM!!! And we complain about one amp. I wish I had it back strictly for gigs and use my deluxe for grab n go situations.

Jazzerstang December 19th, 2011 08:25 PM

yeah, havn't played with my silverface twin (71) in a while. Just too loud sometimes. You are inspiring me Sandman!

adjason December 19th, 2011 08:30 PM

oh yeah i love my 1976 one...I keep thinking these are the standard in the industry for a reason-even if the old guys got too old to carry them.

jh45gun December 20th, 2011 02:49 AM

I am hitting darn near 60 and I still can manage my PA 100 head (Think Dual Showman Reverb) and a 2x10 Cab that has really heavy Magnet EV speakers in it. Just the cab weighs more than most combos. The tens are rated at 300 watts for each speaker so the cab theoretically is good for 600 watts. :wink:

BobbyZ December 20th, 2011 03:20 AM

Dang you guys ! All this TR love making me thing I need another one.
I'm just waiting for a black face, near home for 350 bucks. Maybe even through in an Ampeg GV-22 for trade. (it's got Pyle Drivers!)

Hey I'm a cheap SOB with too dam many amps already.

umasstele December 20th, 2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jh45gun (Post 3790228)
A cart saves your back and why would any one leave their best sounding amp at home when you want to sound your best gigging. The Twin has a bad rap with this weight BS. I have posted the weights before and even a Bandit is well over 40 pounds. Other amps are heavier than the Twin yet only amp I see complaints about is the twin which is just nuts.

Agreed 100%....not to be a troll, but it seems ANYTIME anybody mentions a twin people who don't gig with them are the only ones to respond, and immediately fill the thread with "its too heavy you're crazy" posts

Glad to see it didn't happen this time!

Go twin reverb!

Paul in Colorado December 20th, 2011 05:20 PM

Hey, I have a DSR head and a 2 x 12" with JBL's. I wish I had it in a combo cab and another Twin to run in stereo. I'd still bitch about the weight, though. My Boogie MK I RI with an EVM and a hardwood cab weighs more.

JDRNoPro December 21st, 2011 12:14 AM

I've gone through the same thing as the OP with my SFSR. Love all the others but could probably be entirely happy with just that one.

Controller December 21st, 2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlybrowning (Post 3789826)
If you are a bit of a bodybuilder it is still heavy, but if you carry a handtruck in your cargo shorts it ain't too bad.

And if you are a bit of a bodybuilder, be very careful about what order people get off the elevator! :razz:

zoppotrump December 21st, 2011 12:02 PM

im not a bodybuilder too, but since i bought my 72 SFTR, i gig it constantly = times a month and a good flightcase with decent big rolls is as good as a handcart.

FrankB December 21st, 2011 01:51 PM

I went back to using my blackpanel bassman ten... it has wheels.. but the weight wasn't as anoying as not having tone...

KBing December 21st, 2011 02:06 PM

Ditto to what others are saying about wondering why they ever moved on from a TR. I have an original '65 Blackface that has JBL K120's the previous owner put in it. Way heavy but..."there is nothing that sounds like a Twin..."