Marshall class 5 head vs. VHT special 6 ultra head - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 14th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Marshall class 5 head vs. VHT special 6 ultra head

I just finished building a cabinet and want to get a low watt head for it. I was set on getting the Marshall class 5 untill I saw this VHT brand and they seem to get good reviews.

The Marshall class 5 head doesn't have the 4ohm output, extra watt, watt control knob, two channels, tube driven fx loop and it is not hand-wired like the VHT. But I thought the c5h may have better overall tone.

I'm going to try to find the VHT and hopefully compare the two but untill then does anyone have experience with both who could share their thoughts?

Abe the dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have not tried the VHT, but have some experience with a Class 5 and an Orange Tiny Terror.

The TT and the C5 sound very similar through the same speaker. From what I understand, the VHT amps are a little different creature. I believe they are based more on tweed type circuits, rather than the later Marshall voices of the C5 and the 70's Orange tone of the TT. The 6 Ultra may get closer to those gain levels with the extra gain stage...

But I wonder about the volume levels? Does it require the same volume levels to get there and how does that extra gain stage compare volume-wise to the cleaner less ultra'd settings?

The cleans on the VHTs sound amazing on the demos I've seen.. So much so, that I am also actively seeking one to try myself.
or, if you're really bored, A year in Guitar
Axis29 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have played Class 5 combo and have Ultra head.

I would definitely go with Ultra.
Great cleans, nice drive, many features.
Class 5 is fun, but it's really a one trick pony.
And it costs twice more.
For that money YOu can have Ultra head + nice 1x12 cab.
Sikor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I got the Special 6 Ultra Head last weekand its amazing, especially for the money.My Strat sounds like a different guitar on clean channel, not really tried Les Paul yet. It does need some fine tuning though, there is a lot more to the VHT than there appears to be.
a1terrier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1terrier View Post
It does need some fine tuning though, there is a lot more to the VHT than there appears to be.
Elaborate please
etiquettemona is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Its just that when you look at the control panel there doesnt appear to be much there compared to some other amps and the controls are very responsive, especially the watts dial on the clean channel. I can get my Strat to go from really chimey clean to really dirty. As I said for the money the VHT is amazing value IMHO.
a1terrier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Just went to the store and played the vht. That amp is amazing for the price and in a comparison between the two I would say the Marshall sounds a little better when it comes to natural breakup (through a 4x12) but the vht is better in so many ways. And its definately not a one trick pony like the rest of these low cost low watt tube amps seem to be

Old December 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

+1 for the VHT

Old December 15th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Great time for this post! I've been looking for a small watt amp and really like 6v6 crunch. I checked out the VHT and man you guys are right way versatile and really easy to mod if desired but then I got looking at the 12/20 on line and that looks cool.

Old December 15th, 2011, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just watched a video of the VHT and it sounds NOTHING like a Marshall - not a vintage one anyway. The Class 5 is veryyyy close to nailing the old Plexi sound so you better try out both before buying.

I have to add that I used a class 5 head CRANKED through a Marshall 4x12 cab and it is, for sure, loud enough to gig with if you mic the amp. Probably even if you don't.

OH, and the Class 5 is a one trick pony but it's the best trick ever.
rippingrudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

You do have a good point on the class 5. I think I'm going to eventually get both but the vht seems like a smarter buy

Old December 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

It would be interesting to know if anybody has been able to get a Plexi tone by upgrading the stock tubes to EL84 or EL34.

If I was trying to decide which way to go Ultra or c5 it would be nice to know that just by spending an extra 75 on tubes I could get the Plexi tone out of an Ultra.
Rockford180 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I know you're looking to get either the class 5 or a VHT but have you considered anything from Egnater? The tweaker 15 or the Rebel 20 would likely fit what you are looking for sound-wise and they're not too spendy. The Tweaker 15 head is $350. I only mention it because I just bought a tweaker and it is a very good "bang for the buck" type amp and apparently (I haven't tried it yet) you can swap out the 6v6 tubes with EL34's, 6L6, or whatever fits.

Old December 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I don't know the Marshall, but I've got the VHT Ultra head and I'm very happy with it. Great amp for practice or studio, can be easily modded or upgraded. The ultra channel with the "watts" control gives you a very sweet overdrive at room levels. The cleans are also really nice.
workingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I have a VHT Special 6, Vht 12/20, Marshall Class 5, and, and....
What I can say about the VHT's is that they are fantastic amps both in sound/versatility and quality.. I gig 3-4 days per week and have been using the Special 6 onstage for many months it is absolutely "bulletproof". It is "miked" (senn 609e) and I play it through an EVM-12L. One band is your basic "classic rock" band, the other is a "corp" band (hotel, convention, party gigs). Having said that, I have to play everything from "Scorpions/Zep/EVH to George Benson stuff" and this amp is up to the task. The only pedal i currently use is a TS-808 (sometimes a boss RV-5), but have used many different ones.. players are constantly coming up and raving about the "tone machine" amp I am using....

You do need to "play" with the tubes you use in VHT as they are very responive to different tubes in both the pre-amp as well as the power sections. I am currently using Mullard el 84 and tung sol 12ax7... although if ya need some extra headroom you can switch the 12ax7 for a 12at7.. The same goes for the VHT 12/20 although the tube options are numerous in that amp as it has three pre-amp tubes and two power amp tubes, it also allows you to change the power tube volt so you can use any of the following; 6v6,6l6,el34,el84....

The MC5 is also a great amp however it is a great "marshall" amp and as mentioned earlier is a "one-trick" pony...

There is a "plexi" mod for the VHT special 6 ultra... here is a link to the clip..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa2rZBUXQU4
mklsail is offline   Reply With Quote