Anyone tried Yamaha THR10 yet? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 12th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Anyone tried Yamaha THR10 yet?

These little things look fairly awesome. I don't really understand the technology but basically they are supposed to replicate tube amp sound at very low volumes. Could be the ideal practice amp. They also can be used as an interface which records both a wet and dry signal so could be ideal for recording as well. There are a few clips on youtube and they do sound great.

Just curious if anyone out there has tried one yet.

LeveeBreaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Not out in the US til January or February.

I don't need no stinkin' Bigsby, I got Tremelo Paws!
Markdett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I don't know about the amp but I want that gold top P-90 Yamie guitar
ASC67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I like the concept of this - I had a Yamaha DG60FX for a while and really liked it but it was too loud for a home amp, but not quite loud enough for jamming. I also didn't like all the patches/memory options, but did like that you could access all the settings directly via real knobs, and it looks like they've gone more towards this idea.
losergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

"virtual tube illumination"
horsespatoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yeah, I read a couple glowing reviews (pun intended) of those things, and I'm intrigued. Would love to hear someone's real-world experience with them when they're out.

Old December 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Any word on street price?

I am dispointed though that they didn't go with truly dedicated controls for the effects - having one knob for modulation and one for delay/reverb isn't back, but the DG60fx split off the rate/amount for those effects as well which was nice - it was almost as good as having full stomp boxes built in.

Old December 12th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

This came up on the Strat Forum a while back. I did some research, and I believe the US prices will be the same in Dollars as the Pound prices.
Unfortunately I cant find the info in my email, or the thread on the Strat Forum, darn it, and my memory sux.

I don't need no stinkin' Bigsby, I got Tremelo Paws!
Markdett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by losergeek
Any word on street price?

I am dispointed though that they didn't go with truly dedicated controls for the effects - having one knob for modulation and one for delay/reverb isn't back, but the DG60fx split off the rate/amount for those effects as well which was nice - it was almost as good as having full stomp boxes built in.
Answered my own question - seems the 5 will be 199$ and the 10 299$

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-THR5-LIST

Found some posts on other threads saying that there's been some big issues with hum because of the power adapter but Yamaha is supposed to be shipping different adapters in the new year to fix it. It's also too bad there's no ext speaker out for this - these guys would like real nice as a head on a stack

Old December 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsespatoot View Post
"virtual tube illumination"
ya i saw/heard that. Was just on my end or was the sound on the video not playing with the video when showing the dude talking?

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Crate had a very similar product a couple of years ago... Profiler 5 ... AC/Battery power, dual speakers, stereo, amp modeling,digital effects,a USB port and recording software ...got mine at a GC sale for $49.99 ... i'd rather have the Yamaha for the cool factor, though !!!

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Incredibly ugly and incredibly great sounding all in one package.
Webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Best thing about that was the lab assistant

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I got the THR5 after trying it out in a store, don't think I've ever practiced so much in my life, it does the job and does it well. I didn't even know there was a 10 version, but I'm glad I got the 5, its a good deal cheaper and more than loud enough. 5watts is loud enough to annoy my neighbours if i crank it up.

Works great as a set of stereo ipod speakers too. I'm uploading my video review of it to youtube right now. Featuring the Baja Telecaster about 3x more often than the "other" guitars
EasyRiderK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

the real question is ... what is she wearing under that lab coat?
Slickster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRiderK View Post
I got the THR5 after trying it out in a store, don't think I've ever practiced so much in my life, it does the job and does it well. I didn't even know there was a 10 version, but I'm glad I got the 5, its a good deal cheaper and more than loud enough. 5watts is loud enough to annoy my neighbours if i crank it up.
Both THRs are 10W (5W + 5W) stereo output.
The 10 has better eq controls and a user memory.

I got the THR5 as well. It does a very good job of emulating valve sound.

There is a fix for the buzzing which is horrendous on the 'Modern' setting - plug the amp into your computer's USB port and the noise vanishes.
Yamaha are redesigning the power brick to permanently fix the issue. They should be available in the UK mid January 2012 (hopefully free to existing users).
Tuxedo Poly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Poly View Post
Both THRs are 10W (5W + 5W) stereo output.
The 10 has better eq controls and a user memory.

I got the THR5 as well. It does a very good job of emulating valve sound.

There is a fix for the buzzing which is horrendous on the 'Modern' setting - plug the amp into your computer's USB port and the noise vanishes.
Yamaha are redesigning the power brick to permanently fix the issue. They should be available in the UK mid January 2012 (hopefully free to existing users).
I emailed Yamaha Ireland about the noise with the powersupply, they suggested the same fix and took my address and agreed to send me a free replacement when available. All that with a couple of quick emails. So the customer service was great too.
EasyRiderK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd provide a quick update.

I've just taken delivery of one of the new batch that now have the improved psu. I can confirm this has definitely fixed the horrible buzz/hum issues that plagued the early models.

I left a review of the orange micro crush amp a month or two ago and was impressed with the sound from such a small amp, well I have to say the Yamaha absolutely trounces it! The quality has to be heard to be believed and even a low volumes the sound is rich, wide and deep. The amp models are excellent but the effects are where it truly shines, add a touch of chorus and reverb and this thing really comes to life. I play bass too and even the bass setting is excellent, very rich and rounded low end without a hint of distortion. It really is an incredible achievement. I'll be posting a full review on my blog (tidywords.wordpress.com) shortly if you want to read a fuller review.

Anyone on the fence who needs a small amp for home practice really needs to try this amp, it's an amazing piece of kit for the money and it looks so good even my wife is happy for it to sit in the lounge with us.
plymman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymman View Post
I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd provide a quick update.

I've just taken delivery of one of the new batch that now have the improved psu. I can confirm this has definitely fixed the horrible buzz/hum issues that plagued the early models.

I left a review of the orange micro crush amp a month or two ago and was impressed with the sound from such a small amp, well I have to say the Yamaha absolutely trounces it! The quality has to be heard to be believed and even a low volumes the sound is rich, wide and deep. The amp models are excellent but the effects are where it truly shines, add a touch of chorus and reverb and this thing really comes to life. I play bass too and even the bass setting is excellent, very rich and rounded low end without a hint of distortion. It really is an incredible achievement. I'll be posting a full review on my blog (tidywords.wordpress.com) shortly if you want to read a fuller review.

Anyone on the fence who needs a small amp for home practice really needs to try this amp, it's an amazing piece of kit for the money and it looks so good even my wife is happy for it to sit in the lounge with us.
Looking forward to that review. I'm seriously interested in one of these. Would really like to know if the 10 is worth the extra money over the 5.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I hope to have the full review up in the next week once I've had a chance to fully test it's recording capability but it really is outstanding.

I went for the THR10 because I also play bass. If you play bass, acoustic, sing or want to use it with a synth or keyboard then the THR10 is the only choice. Apart from the extra flat, bass and acoustic settings you also get to store 5 favourite presets and have full bass, mid and treble controls rather than a single tone knob. The THR10 is certainly more versatile but whether you need that or not is down to your personal choice.

I will say though (so far) I've never been so impressed with a piece of kit before. Every time I look at it, let alone play with it, I get excited!
plymman is offline   Reply With Quote