Mustang V, loud enough to gig? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Mustang V, loud enough to gig?

I've been looking for an amp to acquire to use in an AB setup on stage. I'm looking for a clean amp at decent volume, with a nice TR or similar "Fender-y" sound. Based on reviews on this board, I checked out a Mustang V 150w head plugged into an Acoustic 4x12 cabinet. While it was nice, I didn't get the impression it was loud enough to gig with, at least plugged into the cheap-o cabinet it was plugged into. Also notable is that only one side of the head was plugged in (stereo head). I play in a 4 piece with fairly low stage volume, but even so, I wasn't sure it would be able to handle it, especially since I would only use it with a 1x12 or 2x12.

Mustang V owners, let's hear it: loud enough for shows?

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Click on the search button and look for "Mustang"....you'll see that a number of folks gig with them regularly. My guess is that you'd need to be sure to plug the head in properly....it sounds like the one you checked out wasn't. Heck...even my Mustang 3 is loud enough to gig.

Short Answer - Absolutely!

Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

What was the impedance rating of the cab? If it was higher than the head, the sound is likely to be anemic.

I have a Mustang III, and like Lance suggested, that baby is LOUD. If you're playing at "fairly low stage volume", the V is probably two or three times what you need.
nadzab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I had read they were loud, so that makes sense. I was playing a CVC Thinline, and it should have been screaming. As it was, I don't think it was even quite as loud as my 5W Kustom head through a 10".

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I had read they were loud, so that makes sense. I was playing a CVC Thinline, and it should have been screaming. As it was, I don't think it was even quite as loud as my 5W Kustom head through a 10".

Not sure what you were doing wrong..but I can assure you that the 3 and 4 models are more than loud enough..certainly the V head into a worthy cab should be pushin some serious air. Heres my IV in action and I am in no way even at the half way volume mark and it's kickn some serious air out of the way

http://bobbyandthejammers.wordpress.com/
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

+1........waaaaay more than enough to gig with.
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmatty View Post
Not sure what you were doing wrong..but I can assure you that the 3 and 4 models are more than loud enough..certainly the V head into a worthy cab should be pushin some serious air. Heres my IV in action and I am in no way even at the half way volume mark and it's kickn some serious air out of the way

Great clip btw!

Old December 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE=hobo;3754268]Great clip btw![/QUOTE]

Thank you Aside from these amps having a very spacious volume level, they have an endless arsenal of sound effects that can be arranged in various configurations. I'm big on sharing product info and encourage others to do the same...word alone is not enough Sound bites are very helpful and should be shared Heres a recent video demo of my IV model doing a medley of tunes demonstrating how versitile it can be

musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote