Value of a Peavey Studio Pro - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old November 3rd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Value of a Peavey Studio Pro

I have a 1997 with original footswitch and manual. The amp works great and sounds great, but i have a hankering for a Fender Champ 600. What would you value this amp at?

It's 65 Watts, 2 channel, with spring reverb.

tacomamc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

I paid $40.00 for mine mint. I think if you get over 125.00 asking you may have a slow go. Even though IMO it is worth more, especially with a really good speaker. I suggest you just get a Champ 600 for $100.00 or less. There may come a time you want to use the SPro as a speaker cab with the 12 for the Champ, or use the SPro when you decide some headroom is in order for the task. My 2 cent.

Mine is worth so little I just keep it...

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

here's one that sold today in a no reserve auction - maybe one indication:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-STUDI...item4ab00aaaf2
bdgregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgregory View Post

That is an original 20 watt SPro in that auction.

The one he has is worth a bit more I'd say... possibly...

I have had both, the 65W has a broader use IMO and should sell faster.
I traded my 1979 20 Watt SPro with a Dano Innuendo for a 800 Watt PV PA Stereo Amp, the old bullet proof ones. If that give an idea of values.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Yes, mine is the 65 Watter,and is in excellent shape. I too bought this for just $30 used a $10 can of lube and cleaner to clean all the pots to bring it back to perfect working order. So, I have almost nothing in it, and it sounds great, but I get bored easily! Ideally, I'd be able to sell the Peavey for enough to get a champ used and a reverb pedal.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomamc View Post
Yes, mine is the 65 Watter,and is in excellent shape. I too bought this for just $30 used a $10 can of lube and cleaner to clean all the pots to bring it back to perfect working order. So, I have almost nothing in it, and it sounds great, but I get bored easily! Ideally, I'd be able to sell the Peavey for enough to get a champ used and a reverb pedal.
I have had both, and I would [and did] sell the champ 600 before the SPro.

And my 600 had a Mod speaker, not that I used it with the internal, and a list of mods that stopped just short of transformers. Took it in trade, but also had a 4 Watt 1962 Airline amp that made it sound like the toy it was IMO, so it was short lived in my inventory.

I still have a Crate V5 which is better in so many ways it is not funny. Like an all plywood cab, takes a 10". Although the stock speaker is even worse than the Champ 600 stock speaker, if that is even possible? yep, IMO worse...

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

It's definitely not the original 20 watt version. That one was simply called Studio Pro - I had one. The knobs are different too. The one in the auction is a Studio Pro 112 (see the front panel badge). The seller indicates it's 65 watts, but he may be confused himself.
bdgregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgregory View Post
It's definitely not the original 20 watt version. That one was simply called Studio Pro - I had one. The knobs are different too. The one in the auction is a Studio Pro 112 (see the front panel badge). The seller indicates it's 65 watts, but he may be confused himself.

THE ONE IN THE AUCTION LINK is the original 20 Watt SPro. Which I also liked when I had it, except the usual Cab too small for a 12 and chokes it.

The OP's SPro 65 has a cab that has very good bass response, like excellent. Mine 65 Watt SPro has a G12T-100 Hot and I have to keep the Bass almost off.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I had a 112 and that is what is in the auction, AFAIK it is the only one with the balanced XLR out. 65 watts and LOUD.
Sold it for $100 last year, I would think that is top wonga..
Warm Gums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

The Studio Pro is The Keeper.
I love Studio Pro's for their Tone.
As well as their weight.
The earliest ones with the 12" Speaker came with a buffered line out just in case you were doing stadiums.
The Studio Pro will still be going strong in 10 years...20 years...it's a Peavey.

Last Word: "Peavey Studio Pro - Pedigree on a budget." -me

Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
The Studio Pro is The Keeper.
I love Studio Pro's for their Tone.
As well as their weight.
The earliest ones with the 12" Speaker came with a buffered line out just in case you were doing stadiums.
The Studio Pro will still be going strong in 10 years...20 years...it's a Peavey.

Last Word: "Peavey Studio Pro - Pedigree on a budget." -me

+100

With a Legend or G12-75 or similar, +300

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

GAS Has passed... for now

Yeah, I really like the Peavey. I just get an itch for something different for a while. I see Peaveys often on CL for cheap and found this particular one for only $30. I knly play at home, and although I really like the 12" speaker, the amp is a bit cumbersome at home for moving from upstairs to downstairs. What I NEED is TWO amps..... two, I tell you! But, for me, one pice of gear funds another.

Thanks for your input everyone. I would still like the Champ, but for now it will have to wait, because I really get what i need from my peavey. Now, my rig is this:
Strat (Partscaster) with Texas Specials straight into the amp. sometimes I use my Fuzz Face, but usually just guitar right into the amp. I have my Pickups set very low in the guard, and it sounds great. However, I would like more sparkle and high end. I have the trebble on both channels maxed out, and the mids and Bass dialed to about midpoint, and it's really only "trebbly enough" when I engage the reverb, which is maxed as well. Suggestions?

(Should I begin a new thread for this one?)

Last edited by tacomamc; November 4th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomamc View Post
Yeah, I really like the Peavey. I just get an itch for something different for a while

Pedals. try a Les Luis or go Dumblesque. Or Vest Buy has that 65 DR Fender Pedal for 49.00. Although that am with the right speaker is pretty Fender sounding IMO, or can be...

What pedals you have?

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have a Dunlop Fuzz Face (Red) and an old DOD Stereo Flanger, but I only ever use the Fuzz Face. Usually, I run straight into the amp and use the channel switching.

Old November 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

When I got my Studio-Pro65, I put in the G12T-100 and covered it with a big piece of speaker grill cloth and had 4 friends/players over to the blind taste test. Two gigging players I should add and the other 2 members I met here. They all know what amps I have and have played through them, mostly Fender SF amps from Supers to BMR to SFP which I got from one of them.

Anyway, I put a BBE Sonic Stomp in the effect loop and tweaked to my ear and tried to get them all to guess what it was. Hit the front end with a Timmy, Zen clone, TS variant, Keely Boos BD. yadi yada

All guessed some sort of tube amp, 2 thought DR or DRRI the way it was dialed in the clean channel. It was fun, and I would gig/jam this thing with no intrepidation.

Last edited by robt57; November 4th, 2011 at 02:41 PM.
robt57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

that's cool!

Old November 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I have the Studio Pro 110 which is..........

a little 65 watt beast with a 10" speaker and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. A year or so ago I did a stage play call "Stand By Your Man" which was a production about Tammy Wynette and George Jones. I played pedal steel on the show which starred Carrie Tillis (Mel's daughter) as Tammy.

Anyway, during the rehearsal phase I took the Studio Pro and left my larger steel amp at home as I didn't need the power in the rehearsal studio. One night I went in and was told that they'd moved the equipment onto the main stage and our last few rehearsals would be there. I couldn't go home to get my bigger amp so I used the Studio Pro and to my amazement it filled up the place. The instruments weren't miked for that rehearsal but the sound was there so I opted to use it for the performance(s) which were miked and it didn't lack a thing. I think the acoustics of the hall (Sandler Center in Va. Beach) helped a lot but that little Peavey made me a believer. I've used it on some outside gigs since then and it's a "keeper" for sure...........JH in Va.

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Hayes View Post
a little 65 watt beast with a 10" speaker and I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. A year or so ago I did a stage play call "Stand By Your Man" which was.

Studio Pro 65 Watt has a 12" and a cab DR size so the 12 can give some good bass response.

Old November 5th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

I would keep it you only got 30 bucks into it and its nice having a extra amp around. I have two Silverface Fender amps my PA 100 and my MMB but I would never get rid of my Teal Stripe Bandit.
jh45gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Every now and again I track the sales of certain amps on eBay. In addition to eBay, I also check Daddys.com, Music Go Round and Craig's List. This tracking information has helped me in more than one purchase. I've bought Bandits, Envoys and Studio Pros with this information in mind.

Note: I keep track of the Total Sale Price, not just the winning bid amount of the auction. I realize as a seller, the shipping/handling charges are not profit, but from the buyer's perspective, that absolutely is something you have to pay (unless it's a CL purchase or local pick up option on eBay), so it counts. Example: A couple of years ago I bought a Peavey Studio Pro 110 (teal stripe) with a footswitch off of eBay. My winning bid was $89.75, but the shipping was $25.99, so the total sale price, the price of the amp to me, was $115.74.

Okay, so the tracking information I have from those 2 years ago, basically the month of July, 2009, six Studio Pro amps similar to yours were sold. They were all TransTube versions, whether the early blackbox/silver stripe or subsequent red strip varieties. The average Total Sale Price was $149.66. And that average price tracks with what they go for on Daddys.com and Music Go Round, and, for me, Craig's List too. However, the nature of CL being local/regional, apparently the prices of Peavey amps outside of the South are cheaper.

More up to date, I recently saw a red stripe SP 112 offered as a "Buy It Now/Or Best Offer" deals on eBay. The BIN price was $149.95 + $50 shipping. It eventually (9/24/11) sold for $120 + the $50, $170 total. Too high, IMHO, but then the buyer didn't consult me first.

Now, all that said, my SP 112 is roughly the same vintage as yours, a blackbox/silver stripe TransTube version. It's a keeper, for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned. For me the tones are close to my Bandits, and yet the SP is about 9 lbs. lighter. And it definitely can handle the small/smallish venues that I play.

Oh, and I gave the aforementioned SP 110 teal stripe to my son, but I still get visitation rights whenever I'm over there.

The soon to be famous musician/Cranks out Top 40 tunes in a bar/While his mind is somewhere on vacation/Far away from his voice and guitar
Bob Bennett
LGOberean is offline   Reply With Quote