Mustang III vs. Mustang IV? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Mustang III vs. Mustang IV?

Trying to decide between these two models. I'd appreciate any thoughts, but have this speciifc question for any Mustang III owners.

I tried out a Mustang IV yesterday, and noticed it does not have any additional speaker out jacks. I've tried to research whether the III has an extension cabinet out feature -- I could find no pictures of the back panel via Google and the manual doesn't mention it. Does this mean there is no opportunity to have an extension cabinet (absent using a splitter)?

Thanks,
Dave "Schief"
Richmnd, VA

D_Schief is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

No External Out on the III

The Mustang III does not have an external out for a cab, it would be easy to add one though.

I love the amp so far, great variety of tones, light, and a whole lot of fun. It does sound really sweet to my ears.

Guy
:-)
aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. I'm primarily looking for a simple, direct-in, silent recording option and think the Mustang would work really well. While I don't know if it would ever replace my Allen tube amp for my classic rock band, I'm certainly open to trying it with my instrumental semi-jazz/pop/surf three-piece where having a variety of sounds at the ready is extremely useful.

Anyone using their's for recording?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

There is an FX loop on the III and you can record from the USB Ive heard that it records very well but you nedd fenders asio4all not the generic asio driver...
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce24 View Post
There is an FX loop on the III and you can record from the USB Ive heard that it records very well but you need fenders asio4all not the generic asio driver...
Interesting, I had just assumed I'd record via the headphones out, which are supposed to give you a speaker cabinet-emulated sound, but the USB port may do that as well.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Back to the point.....

I have the III. I messed with the IV at the store but it just seemed like excess to me. The III is crazy loud as it is....I can't imagine ever needing the power of the IV. Maybe I'm wrong.

Next week, I anticipate jamming with a person that has a IV....maybe that'll change my mind about whether the extra speaker and power are worth it.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Telefied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post

Next week, I anticipate jamming with a person that has a IV....maybe that'll change my mind about whether the extra speaker and power are worth it.
A MIII versus MIV shoot out? Let us know how it goes.

Old September 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLH View Post
A MIII versus MIV shoot out? Let us know how it goes.
I'm not sure how much shooting there will be. I'll certainly be listening for the comparison. While I've had my III for a bit....the other guy just got a IV and isn't too techhie. I wanted to show him how to get started with tweaking. (cuz you know it needs a bit to sound best)

PS - if you haven't downloaded it yet, the 1.8 firmware is posted on the web site. Supposedly fixes some subtle ticking in the delay. I tried to listen a patch with a delay before I applied the update but didn't hear any such ticking. Must have been veeeery subtle. (and I didn't hear any weird noise after the update).

Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

I would say the biggest differ of the 2 is the extra $100. price tag. As a IV owner, I have played thru the 2 and 3...the 2 was amazing..great tone and loud..the 3 is an absolute gigger for sure with it's output. Why did I get the IV..honestly, I pluged in to it by chance and said hellll yeah...this bugger is going home with me...How could I not for the pultry price of $400. with all of that sound and endless features

Here's a clip of me playing out in decent size Beer joint with a capacity crowd to boot...the amp cuts right thru for all my leads

musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Back to the point.....

I have the III. I messed with the IV at the store but it just seemed like excess to me. The III is crazy loud as it is....I can't imagine ever needing the power of the IV. Maybe I'm wrong.

My feelings exactly. My III seems loud enough to me. But the IV is only a buck more so why not.
The headphone/line out does work well with recording. I'm using a more old school method and don't have access to the online software and Fuse stuff as yet. Just needs a little EQ. Kinda bright.
Good luck.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

The price on both the III and the IV are indeed "comfortable" for most folks. In my mind, I think I'm slightly more inclined to go for the III. With respect to power, it's rated at 100 watts versus the IV's two 75 watt stereo speakers. Especially if I can get an extension speaker jack installed in the III, then two speakers in mono at 100 watts with a wider spread is (IMO) just as good or certainly more functional than 75 watts stereo. The stereo only comes into play if I use a stereo delay -- that is a very cool effect, but only noticable in a very small, quiet venue or at home (and maybe on a recording?).

I'm not sure that's enough to off-set the weight difference of approx. 11 pounds (47 lbs. vs. 36 lbs.). On the other hand, if I were to go with the IV, I'd install a pair of Jensen Neo's that I have, which would provide decent sound and knock the weight down under 45 pounds. If I go with the III, I'll pop in a great sounding Celestion Gold that I have (and make sure that I use an extension speaker whenever I'm going to need to crank the volume), which will pop the weight up to about 38 or 39 pounds, plus lugging an extension cabinet on occasions.

One final thought: whichever one I get, I think I'd want both a two-button ($25 on EBay) and the four-button footswitch ($40) to get the best functionality "live." That reduces the ~$100 price spread a little bit more, since only the IV comes with the 4-button. Maybe I'm starting to talk myself into the IV?

Decisions, decisions - Do folks who gig out think the stereo effect is worth 5-11 extra pounds of weight?

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Schief View Post
One final thought: whichever one I get, I think I'd want both a two-button ($25 on EBay) and the four-button footswitch ($40) to get the best functionality "live." That reduces the ~$100 price spread a little bit more, since only the IV comes with the 4-button. Maybe I'm starting to talk myself into the IV?
The III and IV come with the 2-button switch. I'd highly recommend the 4-button switch. It really turns the amp into a traditional amp+pedal board rig. In reality, I don't use the 2-button switch...just the 4-button one.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
The III and IV come with the 2-button switch. I'd highly recommend the 4-button switch. It really turns the amp into a traditional amp+pedal board rig. In reality, I don't use the 2-button switch...just the 4-button one.
ya i keep forgetting to order the 4 button FS for my M III.

Does the M IV come with casters?

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
I'm not sure how much shooting there will be. I'll certainly be listening for the comparison. While I've had my III for a bit....the other guy just got a IV and isn't too techhie. I wanted to show him how to get started with tweaking. (cuz you know it needs a bit to sound best)

PS - if you haven't downloaded it yet, the 1.8 firmware is posted on the web site. Supposedly fixes some subtle ticking in the delay. I tried to listen a patch with a delay before I applied the update but didn't hear any such ticking. Must have been veeeery subtle. (and I didn't hear any weird noise after the update).
ya let us know how it goes between both of them.

I haven't flashed my M III yet with 1.8 for the same reasons actually.

"You've got a hole in your soul if you don't dig the Blues"
rolling56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I love my mustang 4. Its simplified my life at gigs. No more pedals galore. Just my amp, my wireless unit, the plug in 4 button that came with the amp and setting 5. With my tele setup like it is all I do is roll back my volume a bit for twang, then if I need distortion a bit heavier I roll it forward. That's the blessing of ny Florance voodoo te60. Man I love this rig!!!!. Also when I want to practice I plug my DROID x2 into the aux jack, adjust my volumes accordingly, and jam away. And the amp does awesome with this at any volume. U can also plug in headphones to play to yourself. But I let it rip. Also the 2 celestion 12s in my amp have been replaced with a golds and a silver. But the change in tone was hard to detect. I could go on and on about this thing. Its made getting THAT tone, very easy. Made my life easier, setup and teardown time is cut by 70%. The mustang 4 is 150 watts, I think the mustang 3 is 100 watts. Also the 4&5 are setup for stereo. That's a plus in my book. Also the 2 12s have given me more cut without being to brittle. I highly recommend this amp setup. Its awesome, affordable, and a great value. Also its about 20 lbs lighter than my pre cbs super reverb. LOVE THIS AMP !!!!!!!!!!!
candybluecrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance

This isn't accurate. The mustang 4 comes with a 4 button. At least mine did, and I bought it in the box

Old September 30th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

This is out of the owners manual. And this is my rig with the exception of my wireless unit. I never use it at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110930_180844.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	97771   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110930_180914.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	97772  

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the correction on the switch.

Ok....was able to check out the III and IV side by side. In general, they were very similar as expected. I would have to say that the IV sounded better at a lower volume with clean patches....they had a fuller bottom from the larger cab and speaker. It sounded more "twin" at low volumes than the III.

But...the IV was way too heavy to schlepp.....

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Really? U should lift a heavy session 500, or a peach Nashville 1000, or a pre cbs fender super reverb. All three out weigh the mustang 4 by quite a bit. The 3 is a single 12 if I recall, and isn't set up for stereo, the 4 and the 5 are, and even have stereo patches in them. The 5 is a head, and it has a 4 12 cab that u can purchase with it. I went with the 2 12s in the mustang 4 for added ease of setup and teardown. There's also a 50 watt rms difference. Because the 3 is 100w and the 4 and 5 are 150. Rms is just a term for constant working power. However I could be wrong and those ratings could be peak. Great amps either way. Ya gonna get one?

Old September 30th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Thanks for the correction on the switch.

Ok....was able to check out the III and IV side by side. In general, they were very similar as expected. I would have to say that the IV sounded better at a lower volume with clean patches....they had a fuller bottom from the larger cab and speaker. It sounded more "twin" at low volumes than the III.

But...the IV was way too heavy to schlepp.....
So which one are u getting? Also if u use a tele, may I make a suggestion or two for u to try out before u buy?