NAD - Valco/Airline 62-9022A - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

NAD - Valco/Airline 62-9022A

This is a low watt amp, maybe 5watts. I bought it to play the harp through, but I have been playing my new pink paisley tele through it. The tele barely gets the amp to distortion, though when I picked it up the previous owner demo'd it with a Les Paul and it distorted nicely.

It is an Airline 62-9022A made by Valco. It looks to still be all original including the two prong cord. It has two inputs though I can't hear much difference between them. A tone knob a volume know (which turns on the power), the power light and then the fuse.

The tubes are 12AX7 pre-amp (just says USA 12AX7 no other markings), 6V6GTA Power (RCA USA), 5Y3GT rectifier (RCA USA). There is also a metal canister thing between the power tube and rectifier.

The speaker is a USA Jensen 308Y21D1.

The power transformer shows no markings, but the other transformer (not sure what it is called) says T2640, 524 65 37.

Looks like someone taped over a sticker underneath the chassis so I'm assuming it is a serial number, but not sure, 1-44291

Here are photos of the GUTS:

I got a little surprise when I opened it up The inside is very clean.

Last edited by dragonfly66; April 9th, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
dragonfly66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Cool. I like retro.

M

Old April 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I have a very similar amp. It's a 1966 Airline model #62-9032. It looks nearly identical to yours with the exception of the grill cloth and speaker #. Yours looks to be in much better condition.

I don't have any trouble getting it to break up with any of my guitars. Single coil or HBs. My power tube is a Sylvania 6V6GTA. The preamp and rectifier tubes are RCA. They all appear to be originals. In the photo, I had replaced the originals with cheap Chinese takeouts prior to having it serviced. I was soundly chastised by the tech for doing so
Fun little amps. Congrats and welcome to the club.
PA Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sweet looking amp. If you're looking for distortion with the paisley I suggest a boost pedal. Have fun with it.

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

KIrsten, that map is from 1965. AS for distortion capability, it is all in the input. THe power capability of the pickup/s is one part of the equation. The volume knob on the amp is one part, the volume control on the guitar is another, and the pick attack is probably the most important. That is, you can set the tone and volume controls on that amp at 10 with guitar controls at max; and if you use a light pick attack the amp will not distort. Hit the strings harder and distortion will occur.
Naturally, a more powerful pickup...whether single coil or humbucking....will cause the amp to distortion earlier andmore aggressively.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Wally is exactly right. With a simple amp like this it is all about the input voltage.

A single coil pickup, at full volume and full whack from your playing hand, will typically generate a voltage of somewhere just shy of 0.5 volts, a humbucker somewhere over 0.5 volts (but probably less than a single volt.) A harmonica mic might generate upwards of 3 volts.

Which is also one of the reasons why amps that are voiced for harmonica often sound so bad with a guitar plugged in.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a couple of those - great amps. Hated those speakers though.

One of them I ran w/ a metal 6L6 - was very raw.

I'd also use a SD Pickup Booster (great boost) when I played Tele through it.

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Imho, that little JEnsen is a great little speaker. WE all have our own experiences and ears, though. Observation....a 6L6 would create a mismatch for that circuit.

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats! I love little vintage amps.

FWIW, that metal can thingy contains the filter capacitors for the amp. Does the 12AX7 have little white dots etched in a pattern somewhere? If so, it's a GE.

- Scott

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
That is, you can set the tone and volume controls on that amp at 10 with guitar controls at max; and if you use a light pick attack the amp will not distort. Hit the strings harder and distortion will occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Wally is exactly right. With a simple amp like this it is all about the input voltage.

A single coil pickup, at full volume and full whack from your playing hand, will typically generate a voltage of somewhere just shy of 0.5 volts, a humbucker somewhere over 0.5 volts (but probably less than a single volt.) A harmonica mic might generate upwards of 3 volts.

Which is also one of the reasons why amps that are voiced for harmonica often sound so bad with a guitar plugged in.
I did have the amp all the way up and the guitar volume all the way up. I think the pickups in the paisley just aren't that hot. It did distort, but not that much. I haven't tried it with the harp yet but will have time tomorrow to do so.

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Woody View Post
I have a very similar amp. It's a 1966 Airline model #62-9032. It looks nearly identical to yours with the exception of the grill cloth and speaker #. Yours looks to be in much better condition.

I don't have any trouble getting it to break up with any of my guitars. Single coil or HBs.

Fun little amps. Congrats and welcome to the club.
It does really look the same.

I'm away from home and I only have one guitar with me so I'll have to try some others. I think the issue really is the pick-ups in the guitar I'm using. I've been celebrating my Mom's birthday so haven't been able to play with my toys very much.

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I always use a pedal in front those types of amps, I'm not fond of the raspy break up that most produced when cranked, and many are somewhat thin sounding clean.
Rembember that clean, clean, clean was the name of the game when they were new, so I find that a little help in the form of the pedal will help you get a nice fat clean sound, with the guitar rolled back and then when you dig in or crank up your guitar.. there you go with some nice break up.
Experiment to find what works best for you, some folks like a compressor, other a touch of OD, I had a Music Master Bass that really came to life with a EH LPB-1 in front of it..
Have fun.
Warm Gums is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Single coils...weak ones as in stock FEnders....often fail to push an amp like this enough to get into that smooth creamy distortion. HEnce the need for pedals to avoid that harsh, raspy thing that WArm Gums describes. A good boost pedal such as the SD pedal that Mike Eskimo mentions woudl work wonders for you. Email me when you get home if you want.

Old November 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Just nosing around guys. And I happen to notice the Airline 62-9032 in this thread. I have the exact same amp, found in an attic. Somebody covered the original cab with woodgrain contact paper, but after removing it and cleaning it gently, it is now pristeen,, original, sounds great, and sitting in my family room. Original tubes, Jensen speaker and grill cloth. Unmolested. Very plain knobs on the front. Plain brownish black, no numbers. I was gonna gut it, and build a bigger amp. But now I don't know. Any real value here?

Old November 6th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Tele pick-up are low output. Humbuckers or P-90's a big jump to most, modern Tele pick-ups.

I have the same thing happen when playing a Tele through a Vintage 47 amp. Plug a P-90 guitar into it, turns into an entirely different amp.

A little goosing from a boost pedal will cure your low distortion issue.

Sorry, I noticed Wally said the same thing a few posts up.
Custom Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Thrash, DONT GUT IT! Have a look at what Valco and Supro bring on Ebay completed auctions, Sell it and buy what suits you better.
Rob
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Eskimo View Post
I've had a couple of those - great amps. Hated those speakers though.

One of them I ran w/ a metal 6L6 - was very raw.

I'd also use a SD Pickup Booster (great boost) when I played Tele through it.
Dude, if you hate those little Jensen speakers PLEASE send them my way!! I will pay shipping and disposal fees for them. Check ebay completed listings on those and see how much everyone else hates them.

Go with what Robster says. I bought one with a burnt up plate load resistor for 50.00 and flipped it for about 275.00 on ebay if my memory serves me. It was an Airline also but had a 6x4 (I think) rectifier.
alnicopu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mat
Tele-Meister

Like a lot of the posters here I would recommend some form of boost pedal in the first instance. These old amps are voiced often for clean tones. If they used a single coil as their reference then humbuckers often get them to break up nicely (ala 60's Fenders). You could also try an OD pedal with the gain wound back to get a sinmilar effect.

Enjoy it looks like a lot of fun.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote