Mustang amp vs blues jr. - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Mustang amp vs blues jr.

I tried both and they sound alike. One has a ton more features and the other has power tubes. A question for those who own both; how would you compair these two amps?

Last edited by DOGMA Dunn; April 6th, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
DOGMA Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I played through a Blues Jr. today at my local guitar shop and taking suggestions from the other users on this forum - it was totally worth marching out in the rain.
I cannot explain how moved I am to play this as opposed to the Mustang 1 that I own currently.

The Mustang series are very versatile as they have this neat USB function which lets you use presets made by other users on the website. Unfortunately, there aren't many people who bother posting their amp settings on there. The software that comes with this amp allows your doors to be opened. I have created an absolute ton of sounds that I would never be able to attain if I were to play on the factory settings. I'm not saying that the factory settings are bad...

Factory settings however, will give you almost EVERYTHING that you could ever want. Because there are 3 "sub-settings" for each amp model, it allows much customization.
Almost all of the Mustang series are alike aside from the size of speaker, but if you have enough money, buy the Mustang for practice... and the Blues Jr. for gigs and stuff - definitely worth it.
RawjerLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

FWIW, I have a Mustang II and a Mustang III. The I and the II are quite similar, other than size and power, whereas the III has a lot more amp models and many, many more presets, most of which are actually very usable! The III is worth the selling price just for the 57 Champ models!
truittsosebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old April 7th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGMA Dunn View Post
I tried both and they sound alike. One has a ton more features and the other has power tubes. A question for those who own both; how would you compair these two amps?
Depends on what your needs are...do you need a flexible amp or a staple good quality tube amp, and is it for home or live use?...tube or SS aside, figure out what your purpose is and go from there. one thing to consider is that the blues jr is the one and only, no simulations here, and the mustang CAN simulate a blues jr ( i got a preset for it) along with other amps...

not sure if when you say "compare" you mean which sounds better (a blues jr obviously will sound better than its sim, but does not sim other amps, hence a mustang will sound better than a blues jr on the twin sim, if you're looking for a twin sound) so they both sound good....
boinkeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

I've been gigging my Blues Jr. for over 3 years now. I just bought (and returned after 1 week) the Mustang 3. I've tried to like the digital/modeling amps, but they just don't "do it" for me. I thought the Mustang series might just be the ticket, but after getting it home and trying to tweak it out, it still just sounded like a digital amp to my ears.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against SS amps, I've got several Peavey and Fender in my collection, and I use them, sometimes instead of my BJr. But the modeling amps just lack the "tone" that I can get from just about any other amp out there.

Someday tho....
91xlntS-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have both amps and while I know many people like the Blues Jr., I really don't. The clean sound is too dark and the overdrive sounds awful. It only sounds ok with my Tele, down right terrible with my humbucking guitars. So, given a choice between the two, I prefer my Mustang I.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Maybe I got a bad one, but although I thought it did sound good, the Mustang I I had would rattle pretty bad above mid volume.

It seemed like the thin back panel was vibrating on mine so I returned it.
jmtaylor22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

time to check out the Bjr III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
I have both amps and while I know many people like the Blues Jr., I really don't. The clean sound is too dark and the overdrive sounds awful. It only sounds ok with my Tele, down right terrible with my humbucking guitars. So, given a choice between the two, I prefer my Mustang I.

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Quote:
I tried both and they sound alike. One has a ton more features and the other has power tubes.
I like getting advice on the internet, but I also am a FIRM believer in using your own ears to determine what you like. If both amps sound pretty much the same to you at the volumes you're using them at, I'd get the one that has more features or costs less. I have a Vox VT30 that I play more than my tube amps right now. It sounds great to me, and I like having the easy access to all the effects. Just get the amp you like best.

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Quote:

My thought is..If they both sound alike, then you loose nothing with getting the Mustang..as the BJ is a one trick poney and the other is virtually endless in sound modeling.

Also..you have to consider what Mustang is really compratable to the BJ with it's 15w 1x12 @ $500....versus Mstng 1 20W 1x8 @ $99. Now if you compare price range..then my Goodness..the same $500. dollars for the Bjunior will buy you the Mstng IV with it's 2x12 Celestion speakers putting out 150 Watts if needed The Mstng IV along with III and V model, feature the most presets options in the Series and are fully giggable because of there output and can be played @ home on low volume or with HEAD phones if needed.

I know...much to consider Good Luck
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone, Your information is very helpfull.

I agree, that value comes into play for me, but I didn't crank both up to near max loud volumes. Both did sound pretty snappy without clean sustain. Perhaps at high volumes there will be a difference. I will try out more amps to see if they can meet my needs and to see if the modeling amps are up to par with older tube amps.
Again thanks.

Last edited by DOGMA Dunn; April 7th, 2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: added content

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #12 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Blues Junior v Mustang 3

I normally through a Blues Junior amp. We have an outside gig coming up where I want to be sure I have sufficient volume. (I know the best solution is to mic up through the pa but that will not be possible.) My question, for those who have a Blues Junior and a Mustang 3, is: is the Mustang 3 louder? I know it is 15w v 100w, but that does not necessarily tell you how the volumes compare. Any comments from those who have both would be greatly appreciated.
Paul
apache1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
TG
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache1960 View Post
I normally through a Blues Junior amp. We have an outside gig coming up where I want to be sure I have sufficient volume. (I know the best solution is to mic up through the pa but that will not be possible.) My question, for those who have a Blues Junior and a Mustang 3, is: is the Mustang 3 louder? I know it is 15w v 100w, but that does not necessarily tell you how the volumes compare. Any comments from those who have both would be greatly appreciated.
Paul
I don't have a mustang so I can't answer that question directly, but I'll still comment. That's a situation where you won't know if you have enough volume until you are actually there and playing, unfortunately. As with inside venues, there will be places where a Blues Junior on its own is swallowed up, but in other places seemingly the same size you have to keep the volume down to avoid being too loud. Depends on the rest of the band too.
If there is no option to go into a PA another idea is to rent/borrow/steal a larger speaker cabinet...2 by 12" or a 4 by 12"...and use the BJ as a head. Volume isn't just loudness...it's the 'volume' of air moved. That's why micing an amp thru a PA even at conversation level will help it to be heard so much better. Spreads the sound and you have more speaker surfaces....so more 'volume'.

A mustang amp will still just have the one 12" speaker so even if the amp is 'louder' it still might not be any better outside at your gig than the BJ would be.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I tried out the new Mustang 3 for about 30 min. at the GC. much better than the 1 & 2, I was impressed with the volume and clarity of sound. To set up the models was a little tricky just like the old G-DECs. But it was impressive, I think it has to do with the power and the speaker and cabinet size, it just sounded bigger than I expected. The guy said it's similar to the Mustang 4 which has more power. No offense to the blues jr., but for the money this one can do a lot. and has bigger sound. I'm keeping eye on these to see how reliable they are.