Fender Mustang USB Recording??? - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Fender Mustang USB Recording???

Has anyone tried any serious recording with the USB output on any of the Mustang series amps?

What are your thoughts? The good and bad of it all? Any on-line MP3s?

Direct recording has never really measured up. Is this new series of amps from Fender the game changer for direct recording? Does it really sound authentic and like a real room and mic was used?

SuperChampXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Mustang

Anyone have any experience with the USB recording function?

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Anybody try direct recording with any of the Mustangs yet? Does the USB interface give a realistic impression of a mic'd up amp?

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I'm interested in this as well. I have the Mustang and use the USB capabilities for the Fuse software, but haven't recorded anything.
yark14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I haven't recorded "professionally"... but like the Fender website states, it just sounds like a mic'd up cabinet. I think that it'd sound better to actually mic up the amp than using the USB function - then again, you'll never know until you try.
RawjerLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I have the Mustang II - decent enough amp - and a good range of sounds
I linked up to Fuse ok - and the comp recognises the amo every time I switch it on - but I just couldnt get my DAW to recognise the Mustang as a source...- tried everything I could thin k of but no luck - so

I paid a trip to Ebay - picked up a Maudio box - and routed the mustang through that - and from there into the daw

1) NTrack (the recording software i use) recognised it right away
2) Using the maudio gives me the option of listening through the computer speakers - or from the amp
3) I have more control over clipping etc

I would say, that it records really well- the different amps sound clear and distinct, the recordings don't sound too digital- there is response to digging in etc

I am a hack player - so the results are limited by that - but there seem to be huge possibilities using this set up
IB62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

The Fender® Mustang™are capable of recording audio into DAW (digital audio workstation) software applications such as Ableton Live Lite 8 Fender Edition (included with the Fender Mustang amps). In order to record sound in to your computer, you will need to have a playback device installed. The Fender Mustang amps provide audio recording only, and not playback. You can use your built in sound device or a third-party device for your playback. Please check with the manufacturer of that device for correct installation and set-up. In order to use the Fender Mustang amp with your Windows computer, you will need to install the Fender ASIO driver. Once you have installed this driver, you can use the DAW software of your choice, and select the Fender Mustang amp as the input or record device. You will then select your chosen playback device for playback.

haven't tried this but this is from the Fender forums......here is the driver url

http://www.fender.com/support/articl...al-asio-driver
ce24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

Hi,

good friend of mine has the mustang and I configured his DAW to record it. Just as ce24 stated you`ll need the ASIO Driver for it to work, everything else is set up as usual. Just bear in mind, that the mustang doesn´t replace your soundcard because it doesn´t play back the recorded signal. My friend has a non professional soundcard so direct monitoring was impossible due to high latencies.
As far as the quality goes, which in this case is pretty subjective, it didn´t make any noteable difference to my pod pro.

Chris.
Phaedros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

I tried the asio driver- but, for some reason it didnt work on mine - I always got some message or other about incompatible settings -
luckily there is more than one way to skin a cat
IB62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

I saw that everyone wants a sample of audio from the usb recording of the fender mustang.
i won a mustang and i have to say that the quality of the record is pretty good.

well here is a link of a cover a did using the mustang's usb port recording.
anyquestion feel free to ask ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_-aPW9uY8
s4kx3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4kx3m View Post
I saw that everyone wants a sample of audio from the usb recording of the fender mustang.
i won a mustang and i have to say that the quality of the record is pretty good.

well here is a link of a cover a did using the mustang's usb port recording.
anyquestion feel free to ask ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX_-aPW9uY8

Well..I couldn't really tell anything from that Youtube clip as I don't know what kind of music you were playing...I really don't know anything about that style of music But I guess your recording worked very well and the Mustangs are Fantastic amps as you seem to know by now. Thanks for sharing your video clip and thoughts
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChampXD View Post
Has anyone tried any serious recording with the USB output on any of the Mustang series amps?

What are your thoughts? The good and bad of it all? Any on-line MP3s?

Direct recording has never really measured up. Is this new series of amps from Fender the game changer for direct recording? Does it really sound authentic and like a real room and mic was used?

I have, and I was more than satisfied with it's quality. If you'd like to hear a video with 100% Mustang I, and II on USB, then listen to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqnJsXsQss

The song is a bit amaturish, but If I would've recorded it with a microphone, I couldn't imagine the background noise.
ToxicAfroSociet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicAfroSociet View Post
I have, and I was more than satisfied with it's quality. If you'd like to hear a video with 100% Mustang I, and II on USB, then listen to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EqnJsXsQss

The song is a bit amaturish, but If I would've recorded it with a microphone, I couldn't imagine the background noise.
Sounds good - nice playing!

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I just picked up a mustang at a Pawn shop for $50 and i gotta tell you.. I'm pretty impressed. I haven't recorded with it, but I used the Fuse software to rework and customize the Amp settings and it's a pretty sweet little rig. I'm definitely satisfied. Pairs well with my Tele.
Bassplyr34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
NEW MEMBER!

USB recording!

Well i have been recording a lot using my Mustang 2 and my pedals(Tubescreamer,Wah, compressor and others).

I must say the quality is very good,and Ableton Live does a good job,it is a little tough to figure out,but worth it.

As mentioned above ASIO drivers must be installed and it was a piece of cake to set it up!

All the amp models sound nice and it has a good response to pedals!

a little tweaking and playing around you can get the desired tone.

This is a video i did a bout a year ago,i'm on the "Slightly Muddy clean" range and using the deluxe reverb preset with a little gain and a pinch of reverb.

Its a song by The late Great Stevie Ray vaughan titled "LENNY".
I'm posting it for you guys to get a tone check and reviews and comments are always welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_3XjFOmJGs

Sukrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Former Member
Friend of Leo's

Excellent playing and fantastic tone!
I would like to know your amp and affects settings for that preset.

If you have the time, could you post your exact settings for your bass ..treb.. mids... reverb and any other effects that you used for that tone and song? ?

Thanks for sharing and I really enjoyed that !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130506_075258.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	179501
musicmatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

I've been doing some recording with the mustang 1 but so far I've just run a cable from the headphone jack to my a/d. I haven't tried the usb recording. It should work fine. I noticed that reaper recognizes the fender mic--or did. For some reason it has disappeared, haven't bothered to figure out why yet.
Robus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Well, since it's Greek Easter I guess thread resurrection is appropriate.

I guess I just never got deep enough into tweaking my Mustang for recording because it just sounded flat and digitally lifeless to me via USB. Contrasted with the same tracks recorded on GR5 through my MOTU there was no comparison.

That sounded nice though Sukrit, well as nice as things sound on laptop speakers anyway.

Old October 24th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
TDPRI Member

[QUOTE=Sukrit;5015153]Well i have been recording a lot using my Mustang 2 and my pedals(Tubescreamer,Wah, compressor and others).

I must say the quality is very good,and Ableton Live does a good job,it is a little tough to figure out,but worth it.

As mentioned above ASIO drivers must be installed and it was a piece of cake to set it up!

All the amp models sound nice and it has a good response to pedals!

a little tweaking and playing around you can get the desired tone.

Hi,
im about to try to load Ableton Live Lite 8 on to my lap top. I have downloaded the asio driver. any tips for setting up the live lite? I am not very computer savy.
Thank you,
Bill
bh1812 is offline   Reply With Quote