I LOVE the Reverb Send into Channel 1 on Fender amps mod - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I LOVE the Reverb Send into Channel 1 on Fender amps mod

Sorry if this is wide spread knowledge that has been discussed before, but I only recently found out about this trick. This works on 2 channel Fender amps that have reverb, like Deluxe Reverbs, Twins, Supers...

Go to Radio Shack and get the proper cable converters... cause we're going from an RCA male jack to a 1/4" male jack. Unplug the Reverb Send cable from the back of the amp and plug it into the Channel 1 input, the guitar into channel 2. Channel 1 now becomes a 3 knob tube reverb where you can adjust the depth and tone of the verb by using the volume, treble and bass knobs on the amp. It sounds SOOO much better compared to just using the regular reverb knob (which is now disabled). The regular reverb tone is stale and generic compared to the reverb tones you can get when running thru Channel 1.. Highly recommended...

Take care..

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Wow, never heard of that. I will try it for sure. Thanks Bend!

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm, wouldn't you have to do that with the reverb RETURN cable (the one returning from the tank to the amp), not the SEND cable? If you used the send, how would the signal get into the reverb tank?
RomanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanS View Post
Hmm, wouldn't you have to do that with the reverb RETURN cable (the one returning from the tank to the amp), not the SEND cable? If you used the send, how would the signal get into the reverb tank?
I believe its the "Send" signal from the reverb tank that is getting plugged into channel 1. For my DRRI it was the Red cable, on my 1970 Super Reverb its the Reverb Send cable.

And if that doesn't work, try the other cable instead.

...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours... llusions by Richard Bach
Big_Bend is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend View Post
And if that doesn't work, try the other cable instead.
That should work!

But still: the cable sending the signal from the amp to the tank is the "send" cable, the cable returning the signal from the tank to the amp is the "return" cable (and that's the one that should work with your trick...)

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Sounds like an interesting thing to explore. Never heard of this before.

I have played around with jumpering channels on the front of a 2 channel reverb-equipped amp, and using big differences in the tone knob settings for the reverb channel vs the dry channel, and also tinkering with the two volume knobs. You can get some interesting sounds by having the reverb channel being more bassy or trebly than the dry channel.
Alex W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

I tried a similar trick, but with two amps and chorus, not reverb, when we were in the recording studio with my band this weekend:
I wanted to add a bit of modulation to the solo tone on one song, but in line my EHx chorus pedal sounded too cheesy 80s-ish, because you can't control the effects balance - so I used a cable from the second input of my PR amp into the chorus, and plugged the output from the chorus into a second amp - that way, I could control the balance between dry and chorussed signals, as well as the tone on the chorussed signal - worked great!

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Some previous owner of my SF Twin modded it so reverb and tremolo are on both channels. I spoke with the amp tech I'm taking it to next week for a checkup and he said that's a simple mod and to just leave it. What I find nice about it is if you play 2 different guitars(me a strat and a tele) you can adjust the tone knobs for each guitar and basically have a strat channel and a tele channel. Soon as I get another dirt pedal I'll have dedicated cleans and crunches for 2 different guitars from 1 amp. With clean boost.
bigben55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

All well and good but I'd rather just use a Boss FRV-1 COSM.
I'd still have a '63 Tank if not for the FRV-1.
Sold the tank bought the FRV-1 and like They say in Oz "No Worries."

Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
All well and good but I'd rather just use a Boss FRV-1 COSM.
I'd still have a '63 Tank if not for the FRV-1.
Sold the tank bought the FRV-1 and like They say in Oz "No Worries."
I have that pedal too and it's quite nice. It's still fun to explore what an amp is capable of with some experimentation though.
Alex W is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bend View Post
Sorry if this is wide spread knowledge that has been discussed before, but I only recently found out about this trick. This works on 2 channel Fender amps that have reverb, like Deluxe Reverbs, Twins, Supers...

I've been preaching this one for years. Simple, sounds great, what's not to like.
Ronsonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Thisis a neat trick, but it does not allow for 'depth' control. This arrangement does allow for some tonal control which makes it interesting.
THe Volume control in the Normal ch---now a reverb control channel---is affecting the reverb signal in the same manner as the REverb pot in the Vib channel does. These controls are controls for the strength of the reverb return signal. The SEnd signal is not affect by either of these controls. The circuit could be modded so that the Normal channel would become a
Send(dwell in the 6G15 unit), and tone controls while the REverb control in the vib Ch would remain as the return signal(mixer in the 6G15) control.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben55 View Post
Some previous owner of my SF Twin modded it so reverb and tremolo are on both channels. I spoke with the amp tech I'm taking it to next week for a checkup and he said that's a simple mod and to just leave it. What I find nice about it is if you play 2 different guitars(me a strat and a tele) you can adjust the tone knobs for each guitar and basically have a strat channel and a tele channel. Soon as I get another dirt pedal I'll have dedicated cleans and crunches for 2 different guitars from 1 amp. With clean boost.
I was wondering if it was possible to get this done to my Vibroverb 63RI. I never use the channel without reverb so this would make the amp far more flexible. So it's not a difficult job?

With the mod the OP suggests, doesn't this mean you only have one channel, because the channel 1 controls now control the reverb instead? Or am I missing something?
stratman323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Doctor of Teleocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman323 View Post
I was wondering if it was possible to get this done to my Vibroverb 63RI. I never use the channel without reverb so this would make the amp far more flexible. So it's not a difficult job?"

Not difficult for someone who knows what they are doing.

"With the mod the OP suggests, doesn't this mean you only have one channel, because the channel 1 controls now control the reverb instead? Or am I missing something?
True.....as I stated above. This trick only expands the reverb tonally. Neat trick it is, though even though it robs the Normal channel to do it.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman323

I was wondering if it was possible to get this done to my Vibroverb 63RI. I never use the channel without reverb so this would make the amp far more flexible. So it's not a difficult job?
The tech said a" simple jumper mod." I'm not a tech so I don't know how hard it is. Is your amp ptp or pcb? Might make a big difference.
bigben55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben55 View Post
The tech said a" simple jumper mod." I'm not a tech so I don't know how hard it is. Is your amp ptp or pcb? Might make a big difference.
I think the early 90s 63RI VVs were circuit board.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM   #17 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman323 View Post
I think the early 90s 63RI VVs were circuit board.
They are PCB.

But it can't be all that difficult... the Custom Vibrolux Reverb amp is the practically the same with added reverb and trem to the Normal channel....

I am going to have to try this trick with my DRRI. I'm quite happy with the reverb on my VVRI!
or, if you're really bored, A year in Guitar
Axis29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Gerald Weber first suggested doing the Normal channel as reverb unit mod in one of his books back in the 90s. It works like a charm.

Adding reverb & trem to the Normal channel of a vintage Fender amp is about as simple as falling off a log. All that's required is to lift the Normal channel preamp output wire from the phase inverter 220k input resistor and attach it to the reverb input, which is the "Z" spot on the board where the 3.3Meg resistor & 10PF cap come together in the Vibrato channel. That's it. Bingo, you have reverb & trem on both channels. I used to have all my amps set up this way. Switch between settings with a Whirlwind, etc. and you have a instant channel switching vintage amp. Afterwards you may find you actually like the Normal channel better then the Vibrato. Their output caps are different (.047 vs .022) which affects the tone in a good way.

BTW, DO NOT do the mod by using Dan Torres's write up. As usual, he goes too far. Just move the bloody wire and it will work like a charm.

As for the 63 Vibroverb RI, this can be done pretty easily. Search on FDP for the "Fritz Mod".
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm....for some reason I thought that reverb tank units came after the power stage, but I guess it must be in the pre stage or else I assume everyone's amps would have exploded (or caused a black hole or something). I assume this is a pretty standard mod for any amp with a reverb tank? I'd like to try it with my Vox AC 15.
losergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Banned
Friend of Leo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
As for the 63 Vibroverb RI, this can be done pretty easily. Search on FDP for the "Fritz Mod".
FDP?