Crate Palomino V8 - Telecaster Guitar Forum
The Number 1 Fender Telecaster Guitar authority in the world.

Go Back   Telecaster Guitar Forum > Amplifier Discussion Forums > Amp Central Station
Forgot Username/Password? Join Us!
Notices

Amp Central Station Amps, tubes, speakers & everything AMP related.

Wilde Pickups by Bill & Becky Lawrence WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Amps, Mods, Pedals dallenpickups.com Warmoth.com seymourduncan.com

Forum Jump

Old December 8th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Crate Palomino V8

There's one for sale in my area, but before making the long trip to try it out I thought I'd ask for opinions about this amp.

I already did some online research and found generally positive reviews(mostly for the larger V16 and V32), but most of the info I found predates the recent surge in cheaper tube amps (VHT Special 6, Bugera V5, Vox AC4, etc). So I'm wondering how the V8 holds up against these newer amps.

I also checked out some Youtube demos and wasn't impressed, but then again the audio is so poor on this videos nothing would sound good.

Old December 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

Is it no more than $100? If so, go for it. I love mine, it's my gigging amp. I swapped out the speaker, it sounded a little dull to me. Had mine for about two years now. Gonna move up to a 15 W Palomino next. Some have had problems with noise/hissing, or knobs, but I guess I got lucky. I just wanted a simple low watter, and it takes pedals pretty well.

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/nekkidcountry
voodoostation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

It's $150 (too much?). Plus I'll have to buy a reverb pedal for it since I had to sell my Hermida awhile back. I might check it out anyway.

Sponsored Links   #
Sponsored posting

Old December 8th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tele-Afflicted

That's about what they were going for before they blew them out. Still not a bad price for a little tube amp.

http://www.ourstage.com/profile/nekkidcountry
voodoostation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

I bought one new about 3 years ago, just before Fender released the SCXD. Unfortunately mine quickly developed what appear to be a couple of really bad gain pots, which make incredibly loud, abrupt noises, cause huge volume fluctuations, and currently make the amp essentially unusable. I've tried contact cleaner to no avail. My next plan is to see if I can replace the pots; otherwise I'm going to salvage whatever components that I can and build an old champ-type circuit in the chassis.
Back when it was working, I wasn't too thrilled with the amp, especially after I got an SCXD.
If it has no issues and you really like the tone, I might go $100, but at that size a used VCXD is probably hard to beat.
fstempleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poster Extraordinaire

The Made in America will not have the bad pots like the made in Vietnam ones have.Having said that some of the vietnam ones sound pretty good so you need to do your own hearing test on that amp but 135 or less is a good price for the amp.The tone knob is a wierd cut trebble/bass depending how it is turned.

Old December 8th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tele-Meister

Thanks for the responses, especially the feedback on reasonable prices. I'll probably pass on it with some of these amps having noise issues.

Old December 8th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

I've got a Viet made, sounds good at low volumes, cranked it distorts like crazy, replaced the 12ax7 with a 5751, no issues...
Maxwell Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tele-Holic

Every Crate Palomino that I've played had problems, mostly with the pots. I've personally owned two (sent one back, the other had the same problem, sent that one back) and played several.

E-mailed customer service and just said to call him. So I called this guy and he basically admitted it was a known problem. I told him I'd rather not ship it off, but would want it fixed locally and maybe I could try some contact cleaner and if that didn't help we could chat later about it.

Later happened: phone and e-mail to Crate didn't work at all.

Their CS dept was totally podunk and sucked. Any company worth it's salt would say "I'm sending you a new amp that I personally inspected."

Old December 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Friend of Leo's

Never played the V8, but the US made V16 is my gigging amp for 3+ years and haven't had anything bad happen. I did change the gold knobs to black chicken heads so I can see the settings better.